Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Owosso barber

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Musicrewired

Re: Owosso barber

Post by Musicrewired » Sun May 31, 2020 1:14 am

So, let's see...he's old and has one foot in the grave, etc.,so he doesn't care. Yet he wears a mask when cutting hair. However, he wears the mask down around his chin while being interviewed while still cutting hair. And, he makes sure to have the mask on but not covering his face when he holds a press conference.
He's so busy self-promoting that he can't even keep it all straight.

After watching the Karl Manke Congratulates Himself Show, I noticed a few things. He quotes a specific number of people that died for freedom at Normandy in WWII, yet almost twice that number have died in the past few months from a virus Karl couldn't care less about. If he's so unconcerned with any so-called virus, why bother with the mask at all? It's not as if there's anything going on in the world outside an Owosso barbershop, anyway.

He mentions Germany in the early '30's, comparing it to Michigan today. Wasn't one of Germany's main goals to eliminate certain people in the population? Isn't Michigan, along with other states, trying to save lives? People who keep invoking Hitler and Co. need to locate a different starting point for their "totalitarian" references.

"America's Barber" criticizes the Democrats regularly in his talk, yet he tries to say that we're all Americans first, regardless of race, creed, or political affiliation. You don't care about your health, or apparently that of others, either, yet you speak of unity and imply a common purpose as citizens.

I guess we'll have to wait to try this equality thing out until after you finish, Karl.

Mr. Manke would likely enjoy getting taken to jail over this, as long as the cameras were rolling. He's reveling in the limited attention he's been able to drum up, and hopes it continues. If it were only about cutting hair and the freedom to do so, he wouldn't be having a press conference to share his opinions with those within earshot.

I vote for Howard McNear as Floyd Lawson for America's Barber.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 am

Musicrewired wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:14 am
So, let's see...he's old and has one foot in the grave, etc.,so he doesn't care. Yet he wears a mask when cutting hair. However, he wears the mask down around his chin while being interviewed while still cutting hair. And, he makes sure to have the mask on but not covering his face when he holds a press conference.
He's so busy self-promoting that he can't even keep it all straight.

After watching the Karl Manke Congratulates Himself Show, I noticed a few things. He quotes a specific number of people that died for freedom at Normandy in WWII, yet almost twice that number have died in the past few months from a virus Karl couldn't care less about. If he's so unconcerned with any so-called virus, why bother with the mask at all? It's not as if there's anything going on in the world outside an Owosso barbershop, anyway.

He mentions Germany in the early '30's, comparing it to Michigan today. Wasn't one of Germany's main goals to eliminate certain people in the population? Isn't Michigan, along with other states, trying to save lives? People who keep invoking Hitler and Co. need to locate a different starting point for their "totalitarian" references.

"America's Barber" criticizes the Democrats regularly in his talk, yet he tries to say that we're all Americans first, regardless of race, creed, or political affiliation. You don't care about your health, or apparently that of others, either, yet you speak of unity and imply a common purpose as citizens.

I guess we'll have to wait to try this equality thing out until after you finish, Karl.

Mr. Manke would likely enjoy getting taken to jail over this, as long as the cameras were rolling. He's reveling in the limited attention he's been able to drum up, and hopes it continues. If it were only about cutting hair and the freedom to do so, he wouldn't be having a press conference to share his opinions with those within earshot.

I vote for Howard McNear as Floyd Lawson for America's Barber.
Spoken like someone whose income and livelihood has not been affected by the pandemic. There are plenty of people who are able to work from home, are collecting the now fatter unemployment checks, or have some other means of supporting themselves who just don't understand these crazy people who need to earn a living to keep food on the table.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 pm

This isn't about someone who had to get back to work as much as it's about one man who doesn't like the current situation and wants to tell everyone his opinion. Hey Karl - take a number. We've all got circumstances to deal with here. Can't you just be civilly disobedient without making yourself the center of attention?

Karl's known how this would go from the beginning. How did we learn he was back open? He told people. He welcomes the media in to cover him regularly, and he even favors us all with a press conference, where he shares his wisdom with us, reads a letter from a supporter, and repeats his best-known lines, in case we're just joining in. "Let's all be Americans first, and disregard the government together, unless they're somehow right, in which case God Bless 'Em."

This isn't about anything but Karl Manke, and now many more people know who he is. I don't care if he opens up and cuts hair. That's between him, his customers, and the State of Michigan. It was that way before the pandemic, and it still is now. The rest of this is his PR work. He's been promoting his books for years. This is just a new venture for him: "America's Barber". He's got the name of his next book, right there.

Why, if this is such a great idea, aren't we seeing it happening all over? Why aren't people urging their barbers and salons to just open up anyway? If Karl gets away with it, couldn't they as well? Karl could be their spiritual leader. Everyone could kick in a few bucks extra for a general defense fund. After all, that's already what Karl's doing.

Oh, and if you really don't care, as you repeatedly say, then just stop half-wearing the mask, Karl. It's not something a true rebel would do. You either think there's a health concern, or you don't.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun May 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Karl is looking for a political fight. He’s looking to embarrass the Governor with a court fight which he believes Whitmer will lose... or that she’ll lose in the court of political opinion. The framing of Karl as a sympathetic grandfather hoping to keep his business open is just his spin. Let’s not be naive about the motivations of either side.

Karl’s stance may be right. But it’s also no accident. He’s got some big time political, legal and public relations help behind him. Impressive for someone who says he’s barely been able to keep his doors open.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 31, 2020 8:57 pm

Karl looks like George Washington compared to the arbitrary and capricious governor.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:10 am

"I'll be governed, but I won't be ruled", he says, repeatedly. What that seems to mean is I'll go along with things unless I don't agree. Then, I'll kick and yell like an 8 year old, claiming "you can't make me - you're not the boss of me."

How he compares his actions, even indirectly, to the patriotism of the soldiers who landed in France on D-Day is ridiculous. They followed orders, even if they didn't agree, to fight for the common good. That's the opposite of his reaction to the current situation. His actions are all for the betterment of...Karl. "The Governor's not my mother", he states. Did we ask if she was, and I had just missed it? This is the behavior of an adult?

Again, if he's right, where's the large groundswell of support by his fellow practitioners of the tonsorial arts? A salon owner from Texas? That's it? Those in that profession in Michigan I read about are talking about changes they're making to keep customers safer. Karl's safety measures? "All Manke’s scissors, clippers, combs and razors are sanitized with a UV light, safety precautions Manke has been practicing for 60 years". I'm sure that and washing your hands will be fine, Karl, although UV light isn't a universal method of sterilization- Iowa, for one, prohibits their use in barber shops, claiming they're "unacceptable ". What was wrong with Barbicide?

I get wanting to make money. No question. But if he thinks what he's doing is patriotic, I think he'd better stick to the fiction he writes, rather than the narrative he's conjuring up for the bored press to report.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:30 am

We threw tea in the Boston harbor over less then this.

Plus idle hands are the devil's workshop. Just watch the news for case in point.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am

Agreed. Karl deserves the medal of freedom.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:24 am

Medal of Freedom? Karl isn’t anywhere in the league of soldiers who have given their lives in the service of this country. Get over yourselves.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 am

SK: What do we need to get over? We shared our opinion.

Take your own advice and get over yourself...

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:06 am

FANTASTIC!!! We all know he'd win :)

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:28 am

Not sure anyone “won”... just more evidence that our political and judicial systems are both broken. Everyone was predicting that once the case reached the Republican controlled State Supreme Court that they would overturn Whitmer’s order. If judges are strictly following the law, you’d expect more consistency in their rulings. Unfortunately this exposes that the current system of electing so-called non-partisan Supreme Court judges based off party nominations is a farce. They are as political as Whitmer. We need a better system that appoints judges based off competency, not political favors.

Congrats to Karl. He’s survived this political farce after being open, shut down, threatened with lawsuits and jail, and is now back open. Now if he can only figure out how to wear a mask and provide better social distancing for his rallies so he doesn’t infect all of his customers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:04 am

That has nothing to do with the topic.
Second: you obviously aren’t watching the news since the lack of social distancing and the lack of face masks used by protestors it’s literally been covered by every station all week long.

But that fact isn’t convenient for R’s anti-media rant. Just continue to build your all-white bunker R!!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:17 pm

So Karl gets the Michigan Supreme Court ruling he sought. Hopefully this doesn't mean another week of coverage featuring him telling us the same things again. It was nice not hearing about him for a couple of days.

The justice who offered their own opinion very notably included the word "hysteria" in their comments. That's a personal opinion beyond a legal ruling, so they couldn't resist getting a shot in, no doubt seeking the approval of their own supporters.

If Karl has to go to a court hearing, that probably means he'd have to close his shop for at least that time period. Perhaps he'll start his campaign now to get the charges dropped. After all, why punish the "old barber" who's just trying to cut hair for the nice people, right? The barber who's had his professional license pulled by the state, no less. Karl, the patriotic rebel.

What's he going to do when all barber shops are open, most featuring more safety measures than he offers? Tailor his message to the clientele, offering an old-school, there's-no-COVID-19-around-here approach?

He hopes there isn't, anyway.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:07 pm

By MW, I assume you mean me, and not our gracious host.

The actions of the Governor and whether they were an overreach is Karl's subject du jour. I'm noting things beyond that point, like what Karl says vs. what he does, whether the enforcement is applied the same based upon how much Karl yells like a little kid, how the political leanings of the various players keep the "I'm right, so you're obviously wrong" debate going on ad nauseam, and how Karl's positioned himself for maximum visibility. He's played the press well, and has kept his story alive far beyond its' basic interest level. I'll give him that much, at least.

Whether what's been done in the state has been appropriate or way too much is the topic discussed elsewhere. I'll leave it there. I have opinions on both sides of that argument.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic