Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

White guys with dark hair

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Beerbong

Re: White guys with dark hair

Post by Beerbong » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 pm
Might be the most endless resource in TV.

Don’t want to overpay Greg Molzon to be the sports director any more? Replace him with another white guy with dark hair, Lispy Thlocum!

Don’t want to overpay Lispy Thlocum anymore? Replace him with another white guy with more dark hair than he has. Could be his little brother, really.

Same cadence among these three though. You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.

Want to stop overpaying Deputy Harris for kissing cop keister and being ineffective? Replace him with another white guy with frosty tipped dark hair, Dave Blondie!
Random much?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Unfortunately LL101 has a point here. Flint TV stations have a lack of diversity.

However there are some notable exceptions...

TV5 has Frank Turner and Collette Boyd. 12 has Dawn Jones and Matt Franklin. 25-66 has Mike Woolfolk. Ahmad Bajjey would be one of the first Middle Eastern Chief meteorologists in the US if management ever gave him the well-deserved title. Jeanna Trotman does a great job as a female Sports Director.

Some of the best journalists are persons of color, ethnically diverse or women in traditionally male roles. All three news directors are currently women. David Custer is an openly gay male in a lead newscaster role.

Much, much more needs to be done to encourage diversity. But it is a start.

Real change will come when hiring managers hire great journalists solely based on their merits... or when the hiring managers themselves are persons of color/ethic minorities.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 am

I agree that 101 has a point, but why do we always have to wade though his ridiculously documented "dislike" of Bill Harris, among other things, to get to it?

Personally, I think that Frank Turner is drastically underrated, and can't figure out why he's not in a top position when David Custer (blonde hair!) is. Is David given a pass on the hair color thing because he's gay? Which begs the question, are sexual and gender identifications considered part of the diversity that we're speaking of? What if someone wants to keep how they identify private? Would they not count towards diversity? Just wondering.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am

Leslie isn’t being considered for Chief Met. She’s a loose cannon and people have to tip toe around her, including the GM who allows her bad behavior to continue. They are worried about a lawsuit, so they are documenting everything just to be safe.

25-66 is worried that they’ll lose Ahmad to Detroit when his contract is up. Ahmad wants to stay, but management continues to shoot themselves in the foot by not getting this done. Chances are they’ll low ball Ahmad with salary proposal.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 am

DAC: agree with you about Frank Turner being underutilized. But how much of that is his doing? Did Frank ask for the midday and early evening shows... keeping him off the higher profile late evening newscasts? He also does very few special projects.

Grimmit

Post by Grimmit » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Hey LL101, aren’t you a white male with dark hair?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:12 pm

I’ll still take Turner’s delivery over Custer’s “all about me” approach to journalism

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:20 am

I never get to see Turner because WNEM's RF signal tanks. If they stayed on RF 5 I might have had a chance. Even when band is up I never can get a lock. Besides WAQP, WNEM has terrible RF.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic