Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Appalling lack of diversity at NBC 25/Fox 66

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Appalling lack of diversity at NBC 25/Fox 66

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:33 am

In a city as diverse as Flint, I find it amazing that Sinclair run WEYI-WSMH has a nearly all-white cast: Dave Bondy, Stephanie Parkinson, Bill Harris, Kristen Lowe, Rachelle Spence are all Caucasian. Mike Woolfolk is the only person of color that has been hired to anchor a newscast (albeit mornings).

When Femi Redwood, a POC and an outspoken member of the LGBTQ community, she was replaced with another Caucasian.

Both 12 and 5 need to do better as well, but at least they have representation in their main anchor ranks: most notably Matt Franklin and Frank Turner.

That likely won’t change soon since Sinclair’s Flint General Manager is a white male who also has nearly an all-white department head — only the Chief Engineer is a Hispanic male.

Behind the scenes at 25-66 is equally challenged with a lack of diversity.

You’d think if Armstrong Williams was truly in charge or even consulted to run his Flint TV station that representation would matter... especially in Flint.

sinklair

Re: Appalling lack of diversity at NBC 25/Fox 66

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 am

Talented and diverse anchors and reporters like Courtney Wheaton, Kelli Taylor, Sharisse Thompson, Ilse Lujan Haves, Walter Smith Randolph, Brittney Noble, Jane Park and Kristen Aguirre all leave and opportunities to replace them with diverse and qualified voices are missed.
Last edited by sinklair on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:21 am

It’s also been pointed out that I didn’t include Ahmad in my list. Excellent point since Ahmad is one of the first Chief meteorologists of Middle Eastern decent in the US.

Another excellent point... Ahmad was hired by Kathy Reynolds, the news director before Sinclair took over.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 am

Instead of doing a nationwide search for a new News Director, Sinclair’s GM promotes Neille Giffune to the position.

Neille is an extremely hard worker and deserved the chance. However before now, she had never been a news director in any market... and her first opportunity is in market 65.

Process matters. And the GM and Scott Livingston’s decision to go with a nearly lifelong SBG employee as opposed to considering a news manager that might have a different background or perspective was a big mistake and a big missed opportunity.

Neille is a great person, but she brings zero new ideas to the table on how to grow a last placed TV station.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 am

The GM, Assistant GM, News Director, and HR Director are all scratching their heads... trying to figure out who this “sinklair” poster is.

Instead of fixing the massive problems at the station, they are obsessing over who is airing their dirty laundry in public.

Is it a current employee? Is it a disgruntled ex-employee? Is it a competitor? In other words, they have no clue...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Anyone besides me think that Stinkclair is a clone of Dickhead 101?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Dudley, sorry to disappoint, but I’m not lovinlife. If I were, everyone one of my posts would turn into a Bill Harris rant.

But instead of trying to criticize me, I’d prefer if someone — anyone — would like to defend the lack of diversity on and off air at WEYI.

There are many people at 25-66 (including higher ups) who regularly post on the Buzzboard. I find it amazing that none of them want to defend the indefensible.

Like I said previously... instead of trying to figure out which of your employees are posting on the Buzzboard... why don’t you instead put that effort into fixing the many problems on Pierson Road??

Management lives to scapegoat others. They don’t like it so much when they are called out.

Herm

Post by Herm » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Yeah, the lack of diversity in broadcasting is appalling, especially in a market as diverse as Mid-Michigan. It is particularly appalling at 25/66 because they have had some very talented reporters/anchors/journalists there pretty recently who are people of color. Walter Smith-Randolph, Jane Park, Earl Arms are a few that come to mind (I didn’t list Britney because, while she is a person of color, she isn’t very talented). Recognizing a lack of diversity and trying to address it was one of the only good things Kathy Reynolds did at that station. Although, I wouldn’t give her too much credit. The people I listed and Ahmad are so good they’re no-brainer hires. I could have sworn Ahmad was a Mike Schram here but I might be wrong.

As far as this industry has come, there’s still a long way to go... starting at the top.
How many management positions are held by people of color? Sadly, I doubt we’ll see many changes in the diversity of people on the air until we see more diversity in the corner offices.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Yep! Denial and Bill Harris in the same sentence. Also alternating post times long enough to log off and back on as the other!!!!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Dudley, instead of attacking other posters here... how about staying on topic and addressing the lack of diversity in local media??? Or maybe you’re one of those anonymous posters from inside Pierson Road who think there’s nothing wrong with the lack of inclusion from persons of color, LGBTQ, gender, etc.???

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Why Don't you Bite Me!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Herm: couldn’t agree more. Change needs to start at the top. But right now, that’s impossible with the current management that is pushing out persons of color.

Dudley: take a chill pill and follow others’ lead when it comes to addressing topics in a respectful manner. I didn’t attack you. I’d appreciate the same in return.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 am

The GM, Assistant GM, Sales Director and News Director took this issue seriously and met Monday night to discuss how WEYI could become a more inclusive home...

Just kidding. They all left work early to go watch a Pistons game down at Little Caesers Arena. They had court side seats to the Wizards game. They were wined and dined by Sinclair’s newest acquisition, Fox Sports Detroit.

Just like the Pistons game, our team is losing because management doesn’t take these concerns seriously. But I hope they had fun while the rest of us are doing actual work... SMH

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:21 am
It’s also been pointed out that I didn’t include Ahmad in my list. Excellent point since Ahmad is one of the first Chief meteorologists of Middle Eastern decent in the US.

Another excellent point... Ahmad was hired by Kathy Reynolds, the news director before Sinclair took over.
When did Ahmad become chief meteorologist? I thought he was simply filling in until someone was hired.

If he has been promoted to the position, that is fantastic. With all the work he has done for the station, no one deserves that position more than him. One of the best in the state, in my opinion.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:31 am

Organman: technically you are correct. Ahmad was given the position and responsibilities of Chief Meteorologist without the title.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic