All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Bill Harris retiring

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
autolab
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Just heard on 66 that Bill Harris is retiring. Congrats to Bill. I grew up watching him and gave had the pleasure of competing against him.

https://wsmh.com/news/local/bill-harris ... -anchoring



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Holyoke Massachusetts’ native son, and Boston Bruin/Boston Red Sox’s biggest fan is calling it quits?



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by TheForce » Thu May 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Best wishes to him! He's definitely been a staple of mid-Michigan for many years!



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am

With all due respect to the self-professed “Dean of mid-Michigan news anchors,” what has he accomplished in his career? What stories did he break? What reporting of his caused positive change?

“He’s been around a long time.” Got it. So have a lot of other people.

“He’s been in the industry a long time.” Got it. Same as above.

“He’s produced more positive police stories than anyone on the planet.” Ok, you’ve got a valid point there.



franko75
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:34 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by franko75 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am

Yes, a true legend and dean of anchors.
Lovinlife-- He has a list of accomplishments that could fill up this page.
Unlike you, a failed meteorologist, with a low self-esteem he is a professional who is a class act.
You my friend are a wannabe who failed at TV.



BeerMan
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by BeerMan » Fri May 03, 2019 10:35 am

@lovinlife101: Is your life so fucked up that you have to shit and piss on everything and everybody just to feel better about it? One time. Just.one.time. Let it pass without casting your sour, pathetic shadow.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm

franko75 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
He has a list of accomplishments that could fill up this page.
I just asked for one.

Btw, you have no idea who I am.



DAC
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by DAC » Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm
franko75 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
He has a list of accomplishments that could fill up this page.
I just asked for one.

Btw, you have no idea who I am.
Nobody cares if you even exist, much less who you are (except Autolab, I guess). I'm sure Bill Harris is all broken up about some troll exercising their rights on a piddly ass message board like this one. But, you do have all the facts. I mean, after all, you were the one who was positive that the word "Chigger" was a racial slur.

#101forPrez



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:15 pm

DAC wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm
franko75 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
He has a list of accomplishments that could fill up this page.
I just asked for one.

Btw, you have no idea who I am.
Nobody cares if you even exist, much less who you are (except Autolab, I guess). I'm sure Bill Harris is all broken up about some troll exercising their rights on a piddly ass message board like this one. But, you do have all the facts. I mean, after all, you were the one who was positive that the word "Chigger" was a racial slur.

#101forPrez
Yell that word in downtown Flint or Saginaw and see what happens. I’m sure you’ll have several people wanting to speak with you.

Still waiting on one accomplishment. Oh, and being old doesn’t count.



WhatIsNews
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by WhatIsNews » Sat May 04, 2019 12:05 am

In response to LL101.... according to his bio, Bill has nine Emmy awards (including 3 for best anchor in the state) and 37 Emmy nominations. That's not unheard of, but that's pretty good. And because he's been on-air in Michigan for 40-some years, he knows the area a lot better than 95 percent of the people who work in the business. I'm actually with you in that he can be too connected to the police (which can make him biased), but it also shows he cares a lot about the community. In 2019, having a guy who's won a lot of awards, lived in one place for 40+ years essentially scandal free, and cares about the community --- that's pretty good for an anchor in market 60-something.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:53 am

WhatIsNews wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:05 am
In response to LL101.... according to his bio, Bill has nine Emmy awards (including 3 for best anchor in the state) and 37 Emmy nominations. That's not unheard of, but that's pretty good. And because he's been on-air in Michigan for 40-some years, he knows the area a lot better than 95 percent of the people who work in the business. I'm actually with you in that he can be too connected to the police (which can make him biased), but it also shows he cares a lot about the community. In 2019, having a guy who's won a lot of awards, lived in one place for 40+ years essentially scandal free, and cares about the community --- that's pretty good for an anchor in market 60-something.
I appreciate the effort, WhatIsNews. And thanks for your honest comments.

If regional Emmys were the sign of accomplishment, we’re all in trouble. Bill has nine. WNEM’s golden boy has five. Some who have won them would shock you. Broadcasting awards have a “everyone gets a turn” mentality.

And the connection to police. Nobody has covered law enforcement with more bias. Having a wife that served as a police dispatcher for 35 years and having “on the inside” connections should have produced at least one breaking news story, but nope. All positive. His bio even brags about it:

“He continues to work closely with numerous agencies and consulting firms, including the Michigan State Police, as a media consultant and instructor and, this past August, served as the Public Information Officer for Flint’s “Back To The Bricks” Law Enforcement Task Force.”

How can someone objectively cover a subject they’re working for?

“And now to the republican report, here’s Trump’s advisor with the latest...” Same thing.



franko75
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:34 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by franko75 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:59 am

Lovinlife-- Is it true that you (Mark Toregrossa) think you are relevant anymore? What have you done in your failed career?



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:16 am

franko75 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:59 am
Lovinlife-- Is it true that you (Mark Toregrossa) think you are relevant anymore? What have you done in your failed career?
You are 100% wrong. You have no idea who I am.



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am
With all due respect to the self-professed “Dean of mid-Michigan news anchors,” what has he accomplished in his career? What stories did he break? What reporting of his caused positive change?

“He’s been around a long time.” Got it. So have a lot of other people.

“He’s been in the industry a long time.” Got it. Same as above.

“He’s produced more positive police stories than anyone on the planet.” Ok, you’ve got a valid point there.
When did Bill Harris ever call himself the Dean of Mid-Michigan News Anchors?



lovinlife101
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am

Herm wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 am
[quote=lovinlife101 post_id=571779 time=<a href="tel:1556885286">1556885286</a> user_id=9159]
With all due respect to the self-professed “Dean of mid-Michigan news anchors,” what has he accomplished in his career? What stories did he break? What reporting of his caused positive change?

“He’s been around a long time.” Got it. So have a lot of other people.

“He’s been in the industry a long time.” Got it. Same as above.

“He’s produced more positive police stories than anyone on the planet.” Ok, you’ve got a valid point there.
When did Bill Harris ever call himself the Dean of Mid-Michigan News Anchors?
[/quote]

Great question.

In his bio, which was written several years ago, he calls himself “the dean of Michigan news anchors.”

https://nbc25news.com/station/people/bill-harris

The recent write-ups of his upcoming retirement have a less lofty “dean of mid-Michigan news anchors.”

https://nbc25news.com/news/local/bill-h ... -anchoring



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic