All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Bill Harris retiring

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
User avatar
Herm
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am
Willie108 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am
Honestly, we all know who this LL person is. Connect the dots. How'd that "Weather Garden", and "Buck Pole" work out for ya??
100% wrong.
It still cracks me up that people think you’re Mark.



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am
Herm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
autolab wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am
Ian and Al had one moment of sanity. I'm still waiting for you to have one.
Arguing the difficulty of reading a TelePrompTer? Arguing that competitors wanted to hire someone? Are these really the best we’ve got?

Again, I’m not saying he’s not a nice person. I’m sure he is. I’m not saying he’s not been on television a long time, there’s clear evidence for that. But when you look at metrics of an effective news person, many others outshine.
Yes... reading the TelePrompTer is not easy. There are so many things going on during a newscast. Being an anchor is difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades is even MORE difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades and gaining the respect of almost every person you work with and encounter professionally is so difficult, it’s almost unheard of. You seem to know quite a bit about broadcasting, I’m really surprised you are downplaying these facts of this business. I can only assume that it’s because you don’t like Bill and so you can’t be objective about his career. If that’s the case, just say so.
It’s silly to compare Bill to field reporters. Anchoring and reporting are two COMPLETELY different jobs that require COMPLETELY different skill sets and have COMPLETELY different goals. Once again, for someone who seems to not be ignorant of the broadcasting industry, I’m surprised you don’t seem to know that.
Also, it doesn’t matter what sports teams he roots for.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Herm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am
Willie108 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am
Honestly, we all know who this LL person is. Connect the dots. How'd that "Weather Garden", and "Buck Pole" work out for ya??
100% wrong.
It still cracks me up that people think you’re Mark.
Assuming who I am is one of the most ignorant things I’ve read on this board, and I’ve read a lot. They may as well say I’m the man in the moon. It’s about as accurate as their guess now.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Herm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am
Herm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
autolab wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am
Ian and Al had one moment of sanity. I'm still waiting for you to have one.
Arguing the difficulty of reading a TelePrompTer? Arguing that competitors wanted to hire someone? Are these really the best we’ve got?

Again, I’m not saying he’s not a nice person. I’m sure he is. I’m not saying he’s not been on television a long time, there’s clear evidence for that. But when you look at metrics of an effective news person, many others outshine.
Yes... reading the TelePrompTer is not easy. There are so many things going on during a newscast. Being an anchor is difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades is even MORE difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades and gaining the respect of almost every person you work with and encounter professionally is so difficult, it’s almost unheard of. You seem to know quite a bit about broadcasting, I’m really surprised you are downplaying these facts of this business. I can only assume that it’s because you don’t like Bill and so you can’t be objective about his career. If that’s the case, just say so.
It’s silly to compare Bill to field reporters. Anchoring and reporting are two COMPLETELY different jobs that require COMPLETELY different skill sets and have COMPLETELY different goals. Once again, for someone who seems to not be ignorant of the broadcasting industry, I’m surprised you don’t seem to know that.
Also, it doesn’t matter what sports teams he roots for.
I don’t know Bill. I don’t like or dislike him. It would be false to say either because I don’t know him. The only thing I have to go on is what is seen publicly.

You’d think someone who’s been in a profession that long would have more to show for it.

When people are saying how difficult TelePrompTer reading is, they’re stretching. Who else has had that privilege? What if the only thing people said about a longtime NBA player is “Well, you know, dribbling a basketball is more difficult than it looks.”

And, no, being in the same place that long is not difficult. Ask any autoworker who worked at the same plant for 30 or 40+ years. To stay at the same place, all you have to do is not move, not take any risks, not be sought by anyone else, and do an adequate enough job not to lose your position. Not difficult at all.

Sure, anchoring and reporting are different skills. It just shows, to your point, how much better Terry and Jim are. They excel at both!



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Herm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am
Herm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
autolab wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am
Ian and Al had one moment of sanity. I'm still waiting for you to have one.
Arguing the difficulty of reading a TelePrompTer? Arguing that competitors wanted to hire someone? Are these really the best we’ve got?

Again, I’m not saying he’s not a nice person. I’m sure he is. I’m not saying he’s not been on television a long time, there’s clear evidence for that. But when you look at metrics of an effective news person, many others outshine.
Yes... reading the TelePrompTer is not easy. There are so many things going on during a newscast. Being an anchor is difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades is even MORE difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades and gaining the respect of almost every person you work with and encounter professionally is so difficult, it’s almost unheard of. You seem to know quite a bit about broadcasting, I’m really surprised you are downplaying these facts of this business. I can only assume that it’s because you don’t like Bill and so you can’t be objective about his career. If that’s the case, just say so.
It’s silly to compare Bill to field reporters. Anchoring and reporting are two COMPLETELY different jobs that require COMPLETELY different skill sets and have COMPLETELY different goals. Once again, for someone who seems to not be ignorant of the broadcasting industry, I’m surprised you don’t seem to know that.
Also, it doesn’t matter what sports teams he roots for.
I don’t know Bill. I don’t like or dislike him. It would be false to say either because I don’t know him. The only thing I have to go on is what is seen publicly.

You’d think someone who’s been in a profession that long would have more to show for it.

When people are saying how difficult TelePrompTer reading is, they’re stretching. Who else has had that privilege? What if the only thing people said about a longtime NBA player is “Well, you know, dribbling a basketball is more difficult than it looks.”

And, no, being in the same place that long is not difficult. Ask any autoworker who worked at the same plant for 30 or 40+ years. To stay at the same place, all you have to do is not move, not take any risks, not be sought by anyone else, and do an adequate enough job not to lose your position. Not difficult at all.

Sure, anchoring and reporting are different skills. It just shows, to your point, how much better Terry and Jim are. They excel at both!
Dribbling a basketball in the NBA is difficult and anyone who can do it for a long time DOES deserve respect as a basketball player.
Once again, for someone who seems to be aware of how the broadcast industry works, you are ignoring some very harsh realities of that industry. Holding a job, especially as a lead anchor, for a long time is not easy. All it takes is for one person, if it’s the right/wrong person, to not like you and your time in that market could be over.
I’m sure there are a lot of hard working auto workers who have been laid off after a long career that would take serious issue with your statements... and rightfully so.
I’m not going to debate you on the performance of other anchors/reporters. It’s really irrelevant to this discussion. This isn’t Thunderdome.
You’re not going to convince me you are right. While I do enjoy talking about broadcasting, this discussion is starting to wear on me. I will stick up for Bill because I respect him but he doesn’t need me to stick up for him. Neither one of us really values your opinion.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 pm

I’ve learned a few things through this discussion.

1. Bill’s contributions and legacy are not based on productivity. “He’s well-liked. He’s been around a long time.” These are true statements. These are statements on personality and chronology, not how much is produced at the end of the day.

2. Bill is evaluated on a different scale than current reporters/anchors. Maybe it’s because he started in an era much different from today. When he started, budgets were bigger and less was expected. Anyone who fills his spot will be expected to produce more. When people are saying “Reading a TelePrompTer is hard,” they’re saying that for Bill, not anyone else.

3. Being a main anchor at the same market for a long time has more to do with management than talent. Lazy, ineffective, and poor managers can keep things they way they are. Many good anchors are let go for a variety of reasons: pay, going a different direction, etc. His longevity is not an accomplishment of his as it was a decision from managers who didn’t want to try something else, something new, or didn’t want to pay for something different.

Again, I have absolutely nothing against him. I don’t even know him and will likely never meet him. I’m strictly speaking from an objective perspective of evaluating production.

He’s been around a long time and he is well-liked. Maybe that’s enough.



DAC
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by DAC » Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 pm
He’s been around a long time and he is well-liked. Maybe that’s enough.
It could be. You've only been around here for 8 years and are widely despised.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 pm

DAC wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 pm
He’s been around a long time and he is well-liked. Maybe that’s enough.
It could be. You've only been around here for 8 years and are widely despised.
I’ve never given what people think of me a second thought.



autolab
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 pm

I find it hilarious that HL101 criticizes others for apparently not knowing who he is... yet he takes every opportunity to criticize Bill who he "claims" to have never met. HL101 is a living definition of a "hypocrite."



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am

autolab wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 pm
I find it hilarious that HL101 criticizes others for apparently not knowing who he is... yet he takes every opportunity to criticize Bill who he "claims" to have never met. HL101 is a living definition of a "hypocrite."
Glad you find these facts comical.



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am

I gave Bill and a class he was teaching a tour of our facility some years back. He was most gracious and kind. I remember feeling taken aback some time later when he declined my friend request on Facebook, which in retrospect was petty on my part, and a reason why I don't engage in social media anymore (it really does mess up your priorities). I wish him the best in his retirement!


YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 pm

I wish him well too!



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:06 pm

May 27-31 is BILL HARRIS WEEK!

Mark your calendars! Positive police stories and wet bottom lips for all!



DAC
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by DAC » Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:06 pm
May 27-31 is BILL HARRIS WEEK!

Mark your calendars! Positive police stories and wet bottom lips for all!
More of your "facts," I presume. Delusional as always.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2010
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:45 am

DAC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:06 pm
May 27-31 is BILL HARRIS WEEK!

Mark your calendars! Positive police stories and wet bottom lips for all!
More of your "facts," I presume. Delusional as always.
There’s a promo running it right now.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic