All accepted registrations through August 15 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by mtburb » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am

The fast-paced changing TV industry continues to roil on...this time, Meredith wants out.

This will include WNEM in the Flint/Saginaw market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mere ... SKCN1S74KX


My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

lovinlife101
Posts: 2170
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 am

mtburb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
The fast-paced changing TV industry continues to roil on...this time, Meredith wants out.

This will include WNEM in the Flint/Saginaw market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mere ... SKCN1S74KX
Have you seen the product lately? Meredith is already out of the TV biz.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by TheForce » Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 pm

The Nickel needs a major overhaul. But keep Meg!



nicklulli
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:34 am

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by nicklulli » Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm

8o
mtburb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
The fast-paced changing TV industry continues to roil on...this time, Meredith wants out.

This will include WNEM in the Flint/Saginaw market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mere ... SKCN1S74KX
Now we know why they moved so suddenly to dismiss the lawsuit and avoid a costly trial.



Realist
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by Realist » Thu May 02, 2019 1:28 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 pm
The Nickel needs a major overhaul. But keep Meg!
Best hire they’ve had in a while. Logical replacement for Colette. Now if Custer would leave...



mr v
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:45 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by mr v » Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm

mtburb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
The fast-paced changing TV industry continues to roil on...this time, Meredith wants out.

This will include WNEM in the Flint/Saginaw market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mere ... SKCN1S74KX
I'll buy it for $5.55. Take a check?



lovinlife101
Posts: 2170
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pm

mr v wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm
mtburb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am
The fast-paced changing TV industry continues to roil on...this time, Meredith wants out.

This will include WNEM in the Flint/Saginaw market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mere ... SKCN1S74KX
I'll buy it for $5.55. Take a check?
Is it a post-dated, out of town, third party check? They’ll probably take it!



Dudley
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by Dudley » Thu May 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Good one for Sinclair to buy! 12 would be next!



autolab
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by autolab » Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Doubt Sinclair or Gray would be eligible to keep TV5 due to their current ownership. It would likely be challenged by the FCC.



autolab
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by autolab » Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 am

It appears that Sinclair is close to buying up the Fox Sports regional networks from Disney.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/ ... nced-today

That would give Sinclair a presence in Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Toledo and South Bend (the last two markets cover some of Michigan's most southern tier of counties). With FDS, it has nearly a 100% potential reach via cable carriage in the Mitten state.



Dudley
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by Dudley » Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Sinclair could buy it. They would put it under some Dickheads name like LOL101. :rollin



User avatar
GREATLAKESVET
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: Great Lakes Region

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 am

Another private equity firm wants to get into an industry that they know NOTHING about. I cannot blame Meredith for grabbing a $2-billion carrot. But there's only one outcome, especially if the heads of private equity firms are children of or devotees of Gordon Gekko's philosophies. They'll trim as much as possible from the Meredith stations and unload the remains. Just look at WZZM under Price ownership in Michigan or, more recently, in the retail sector. Long-time retailers like Bon Ton stores or Shopko were taken over by private equity firms that didn't have a clue about retailing and drove them right into bankruptcy or liquidation. A hex on all of their houses. But I will leave those employed by Meredith some words of optimism: BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID.


Great Lakes Vet

Realist
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by Realist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:10 pm

GREATLAKESVET wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 am
Another private equity firm wants to get into an industry that they know NOTHING about. I cannot blame Meredith for grabbing a $2-billion carrot. But there's only one outcome, especially if the heads of private equity firms are children of or devotees of Gordon Gekko's philosophies. They'll trim as much as possible from the Meredith stations and unload the remains. Just look at WZZM under Price ownership in Michigan or, more recently, in the retail sector. Long-time retailers like Bon Ton stores or Shopko were taken over by private equity firms that didn't have a clue about retailing and drove them right into bankruptcy or liquidation. A hex on all of their houses. But I will leave those employed by Meredith some words of optimism: BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID.
If that happens, prima donna David Custer will be gone as I’m assuming he’s the highest paid talent there....



lovinlife101
Posts: 2170
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Realist wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:10 pm
GREATLAKESVET wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 am
Another private equity firm wants to get into an industry that they know NOTHING about. I cannot blame Meredith for grabbing a $2-billion carrot. But there's only one outcome, especially if the heads of private equity firms are children of or devotees of Gordon Gekko's philosophies. They'll trim as much as possible from the Meredith stations and unload the remains. Just look at WZZM under Price ownership in Michigan or, more recently, in the retail sector. Long-time retailers like Bon Ton stores or Shopko were taken over by private equity firms that didn't have a clue about retailing and drove them right into bankruptcy or liquidation. A hex on all of their houses. But I will leave those employed by Meredith some words of optimism: BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID.
If that happens, prima donna David Custer will be gone as I’m assuming he’s the highest paid talent there....
“Talent”?



matt1
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Breaking: Meredith to possibly exit the TV business

Post by matt1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:05 pm

"Coverage You Won't Count On"!!!



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic