Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WKMF Call Letters Return To Flint

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
CK-722

WKMF Call Letters Return To Flint

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:49 am

The WKMF call letters have returned to Flint on 88.9, previously WAKL. I suspect that the WAKL call letters will eventually end up on WPLJ 95.5 New York City. They are now parked in GA.

The WKMF 88.9 transmitter is on the WCRZ tower, formerly WGMZ, the first FM sister station to WKMF 1470, and the tower with the STL relay from the G-3338 E. Bristol Rd. (now the Townsquare Studios, a masterpiece of architecture built by Marty Beck and George H. Ross of Apprentice/Trump Fame) to the old WKMF-FM 101.7 transmitting tower near Millington. WRCL's STL is on the WCRZ tower now.

But WRCL 93.7 illustrates the point-We Recycle Call Letters. A definite trend has begun in the Flint Area.

Speculation alert: WAKL New York will be known as "The Apple's K Love", or "We're The Apple's K Love".

Speculation, but logical speculation.

WPLJ call letters will be parked and hidden in a '60 Chevy behind a nondescript building on a gravel road, called Brassow Rd., on Cumulus' WLBY.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Musicrewired

Re: WKMF Call Letters Return To Flint

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:51 am

I realize it’s meant more as a metaphor than anything else, but Brassow Rd certainly hasn’t been gravel in decades, and even Maple Rd, at the east end of Brassow, got paved years ago.

I like the speculation as to the call letter changes. It’s always a good idea to retain heritage calls in case they’re needed later. This ties in with the reuse of WWWW-FM on the former WIQB, once housed on Brassow Rd itself.

(WIQB - once said to stand for Why I Quit Broadcasting)

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I always assumed that the cornfields in "Night Moves" were on Brassow Rd.

When I drove down Brassow Rd., in the mid to late 1970s, it was still gravel as I recall. It was one of my tower hunting trips. I stopped after I had to be towed out of the mud across from WKNX on Gabel Rd., and was stopped by the guards near the "facility" near Jackson, trying to figure out what the tower was. It was for finding escapees, and was a drug Pigeon Drop. I thought it was WIBM. And I was chased away by a DJ at the WKHM site, trying to figure out where the new WJXQ tower was located from the STL dish. He did tell me it was near Springport. I gave up tower hunting after that, for the most part. Now I can just Zoom in on Google Maps Satellite View. The towers look like they are wrapped in Saran Wrap though, due to some digital anomaly. Except Del's towers. They're wrapped in Reynolds Wrap! :rollin

I still visit the original WBRB site at 44450 Hayes Rd. three or more times a week. Apparently it was TOO mucky and flooded frequently, and DOES TO THIS DAY. They tried to drain it with a tile. Scrubby tree roots love it. Beyond the end of the tile, which looks like it was parallel to the line of towers, it floods after every heavy rain.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

LOL I've been stuck at the WKNX site on Gabel rd more than once... and also at their monitor point that was just north of Curtis or Bell rd, directly east of the e-way, a dirt road next to a big farm field close to the Cass river. It was *so* soft, my old Delta 88 used to sink like a rock. Mark Meyer and I helped McCluskey attempt to undo the damage he did to their pattern, and also install the MW10 transmitter, circa '78-81.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 pm

We used to call WKMF, "We Kill MoFos" LOL

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic