All accepted registrations through October 6 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Snow forecast

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
robdillan
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:09 am

Snow forecast

Post by robdillan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am

Every single station and each weather person on staff all had a different forecast EXCEPT weyi. Ahmed and Jamie have the same one for 24 hours and more now.

What's the deal? They all have the exact same information right?



autolab
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by autolab » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 am

Yes, all three stations get modeling information from their weather computer service provider and the National Weather Service. However, the mets still need to interpret the data to come up with their forecast. At the Rusty Nickle, Bachman, Miller and Easlick don't compare notes and that's why you get three different -- sometimes varying wildly -- forecasts. The fault solely rests with the Chief Met. Easlick tends to have the most reliable forecast. Miller's forecasts are just a NWS pass through -- the same that you can get on any app. Bachman has had several botched forecasts, but managers don't seem to want to call him out on it.

25-66 seem to collaborate the best to keep a coordinated forecast across dayparts. Despite the revolving door of weather casters and least experienced team in the market, they tend to be most on target.

I'm surprised that 12 isn't more consistent since Kirtek has had a pretty heavy hand in the forecasting.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 am

robdillan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am
Every single station and each weather person on staff all had a different forecast EXCEPT weyi. Ahmed and Jamie have the same one for 24 hours and more now.

What's the deal? They all have the exact same information right?
Because they’re liars. Takes one to know one, autoliar.



bmw
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 am
robdillan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am
Every single station and each weather person on staff all had a different forecast EXCEPT weyi. Ahmed and Jamie have the same one for 24 hours and more now.

What's the deal? They all have the exact same information right?
Because they’re liars. Takes one to know one, autoliar.
For the most part I avoid responding to your posts here and elsewhere on this site because I think you're here to troll and nothing else (and how some of your posts haven't found their way into the DBR is beyond baffling to me), but I have to respond to this. Are you suggesting that the meteorologists who work for the local tv stations in this market are knowingly and intentionally providing false information to the public with the intention of deceiving the public into believing that the weather is going to do something different than what their professional prediction leads them to believe is actually going to do? Because that is what a lie is - making a knowingly false statement with the intention of deceiving.

If this is indeed your contention, I'd love to see your evidence.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Snow forecast

Post by TheForce » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 am

I like 25's Facebook Lives for weather and breaking weather. The interaction is good and a nice alternative to those who aren't near a TV.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 am
robdillan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am
Every single station and each weather person on staff all had a different forecast EXCEPT weyi. Ahmed and Jamie have the same one for 24 hours and more now.

What's the deal? They all have the exact same information right?
Because they’re liars. Takes one to know one, autoliar.
For the most part I avoid responding to your posts here and elsewhere on this site because I think you're here to troll and nothing else (and how some of your posts haven't found their way into the DBR is beyond baffling to me), but I have to respond to this. Are you suggesting that the meteorologists who work for the local tv stations in this market are knowingly and intentionally providing false information to the public with the intention of deceiving the public into believing that the weather is going to do something different than what their professional prediction leads them to believe is actually going to do? Because that is what a lie is - making a knowingly false statement with the intention of deceiving.

If this is indeed your contention, I'd love to see your evidence.
Anyone who tries to convince anyone that they can predict future events is knowingly making a false statement with the intention of deceiving.

Even when they’re “right,” they’re wrong.

Consider a “cold reading” that “mediums” and “psychics” use.

Liar: “I’m getting an ‘m’ or an ‘a.’”
Deceived fool: “Derp, my mom’s name was Alice! You know da future!”

Nobody knows the future. Anyone who tells you that, regardless if it’s regarding weather, love, career, or anything else, they are knowingly trying to deceive you.

Next question, please.



bmw
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by bmw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Educated predictions based on computer modeling and other science is not the same thing as a psychic giving you a psychic reading. What a laughable analogy.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Snow forecast

Post by TheForce » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Weather is by no means an exact science. There are just too many variables to account for. Data is analyzed and a prediction is made. In weather, there is no guarantee of a sure thing.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:36 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm
Educated predictions based on computer modeling and other science is not the same thing as a psychic giving you a psychic reading. What a laughable analogy.
You could say predicting the winner of the upcoming Super Bowl is scientific based on computer modeling. That doesn’t make anyone or anything capable of predicting future events. Looks like that’s a battle you’re willing to fight for, I’m game.

Psychics, mediums, and meteorologists have the same capabilities to predict future events. There’s nothing special about meteorologists that make them more accurate. There’s nothing special about cops that make them more moral, but you believe that too.

Laugh all you want.

Skepticism is healthy. Blind faith is toxic.

I’ll be over here hanging out with my friends evidence, logic, and reason.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 pm

TheForce wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Weather is by no means an exact science. There are just too many variables to account for. Data is analyzed and a prediction is made. In weather, there is no guarantee of a sure thing.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!



DAC
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Snow forecast

Post by DAC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm

This thread turned into another piece of shit, but I just can't seem to pinpoint where it went off the rails.



lovinlife101
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm

DAC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm
This thread turned into another piece of shit, but I just can't seem to pinpoint where it went off the rails.
It didn’t stink until your profanity.

In other news, I don’t trust meteorologists to give me current conditions.



DAC
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Snow forecast

Post by DAC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm
DAC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm
This thread turned into another piece of shit, but I just can't seem to pinpoint where it went off the rails.
It didn’t stink until your profanity.

In other news, I don’t trust meteorologists to give me current conditions.
Actually, you're wrong about that, 101. Does that make you a liar? Or can people be wrong but not lying?



lovinlife101
Posts: 2564
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm

DAC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm
DAC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm
This thread turned into another piece of shit, but I just can't seem to pinpoint where it went off the rails.
It didn’t stink until your profanity.

In other news, I don’t trust meteorologists to give me current conditions.
Actually, you're wrong about that, 101. Does that make you a liar? Or can people be wrong but not lying?
Oh DAC-ula, did nobody ever tell you he who smelt it dealt it?

The stank came with you.



autolab
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Snow forecast

Post by autolab » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Once again, another off topic, hate-filled post by HL101.

The topic initially focused on why do (some) outlets have varying forecasts amongst meteorologists.

I gave my perspective as someone from within one of these tv stations about why there is some inconsistency.

HL101 -- who claims he has never worked in tv (a lie) -- then delves into insults and childish behavior. It needs to be addressed by the moderator of this forum.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic