All accepted registrations through June 15 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

WLEW on-air mispoken words

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
bobhuge

Re: WLEW on-air mispoken words

Post by bobhuge » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:09 am

R Bedell wrote:I listen to WLEW daily, mainly in the mornings with Max. WLEW is, as far as I know, a "mom & pop" station, and not part of a corporate conglomerate. I can handle their faux pas as opposed to listening the bigger stations and "their way" of doing things. WLEW seems to be a "down home" station and is what is appealing for many.

Oh, they're very much "down home" and "mom & pop". I enjoy most of their rotation.

However, if they would just train their people, or hire people that could do the job properly, they would have a much better product. To me, it speaks volumes about the ownership of that station, and how they must believe they don't need to do any better for their listeners and advertisers.

WQON - 100.3 is the same way out of Grayling. To me, it has a great playlist that doesn't stick to the formula. I love listening to it. Check it out if you have a chance.

Notwithstanding, the ownership should know better than to use the liners, stingers and sweeps that are used. They're over-modulated, mispronounced, poorly edited and/or produced.

Although, it's always enjoyable to chuckle at what WLEW does.

-bh
Last edited by bobhuge on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:10 am

btw, i thought some one would pick up on the use and misspelling of "mispoken".

it's a joke. it should be misspoke.

Bdl

Post by Bdl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:08 pm

Shouldn't that be "someone"?.....:)
bobhuge wrote:btw, i thought some one would pick up on the use and misspelling of "mispoken".

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:55 am

Bdl wrote:Shouldn't that be "someone"?.....:)
bobhuge wrote:btw, i thought some one would pick up on the use and misspelling of "mispoken".

Why, yes it should! :red Thank goodness I'm not in print media! It sounds the same on the radio! :lol

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Since WLEW doesn't get mentioned that much on this board anymore (and as someone who works there now) I'd be curious to hear what people think about how the station sounds today? Same problems?

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Same problems. The girl doing the news the other night around 5pm had issues with her ability to speak. Plus she seemed to have her noise gate a little on the high side. Just because some graduates from specs Howard, air staff they still may not be. 😉

Again, we all have to learn, but it just seems like no one on the management side says anything. I honestly haven't listened much lately.

I don't mind instruction or criticism. I'll either say thanks or yep, that's how I do it. For instance, I know I say "man" and "um" way too much. Vocal crutch much? Lol

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Additionally, has anyone explained to you folks that commercials are not 38 or 67 seconds long? 30s and 60s....man.... 😁

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 pm

40 and 70 are what we are allowed to do. Don't ask me how that got started. I rarely write them but for clients I know get sent to other stations I try to keep them the standard 30 or 60.

And you have to listen earlier in the day :). I'm not perfect but I do try to do a decent newscast. http://thumbnet.net/wire/news/06688_3pm-2019-01-18.mp3

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm

40 and 70....hmmm...not sure where that came from. I'm sure it's based on the lack of requirement for programming outside the station that drives that. If you're not required to fit a hole, who cares if you fit the hole? :blink

I'll find you on facebook and we can chat. :)

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh man and I though it was bad that someone over here in Detroit pronounced Harry Chapin's last name wrong last week.

This is hilarious !!
I'm gonna listen just for this, haha

Music is my life.

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Great topic. As a former professional radio broadcaster, I sure had my share of goofs.

First time I came across INXS was 1984, WOOJ/Fort Myers, Florida. I pronounced it "Inks." Who knew?

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:07 pm

MisterGoodrich2U wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm
First time I came across INXS was 1984, WOOJ/Fort Myers, Florida. I pronounced it "Inks." Who knew?
You worked at the Orange???

I was there for oldies, a bankruptcy and the debut of the AOR format. I still hear from Pat now and again. Ted and I are friends to this day. I also worked in the market at 96 Super Q and WRCC. Small world.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:23 pm

MisterGoodrich2U wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm
Great topic. As a former professional radio broadcaster, I sure had my share of goofs.

I'll bet. lol. not as much reference material as we have today. how'd you do with "gotye"? :blink thankfully, there were online interviews!

farmer161

Post by farmer161 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm

This is funny. My favorite was when the part time news girl at WCUZ in Grand Rapids tried to do sports. She referred to it as "the N, double A, CP basketball tournament". Umm, almost.

R Bedell

Post by R Bedell » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm

I listen to WLEW daily. Have been so, for 15+ yrs. Mainly for Max in the morning. I like Max. The other DJ's are more or less OK. I can stomach them. BUT......The WLEW (alleged) News is the worst you can get in Michigan. There is this nauseating old fart Craig Rhoutzan (sp) that is usually on in the morning. He sounds constipated and thinks if you slow down the last few words in a sentence makes the news more credible. He must one heck of an easy gig, he reads off that Associated Press crap. I don't know if he is too lazy to fact find any stories, or is told by Management to read that Biased Crap. Then comes the other news stories throughout the day, where DJ's read the script in front of them. OMG, that is painful and nauseating to listen to. If I was management, I would be embarrassed to allow that crap on the air. They often stumble through a sentence, can't pronounce peoples names or places correctly. I think a 5th grader could do better.

I have decided that once Max retires, that will be the end of WLEW for me. I can't afford the massive amount of Pepto-Bismol to listen that station anymore.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic