All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

WLEW on-air mispoken words

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
bobhuge

WLEW on-air mispoken words

Post by bobhuge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:11 pm

First of all, lord knows, no one is perfect. I certainly am not. However, I just can't help but crack up at the frequency and creativity of some of the things that come from the mouths of the individuals on the air staff of WLEW. The station "prides" it self on playing all the "hits", yet can't pronounce the names of all of the hits, not to mention the names of artists, cities, countries, etc.

Today, it was the song "Santeria" by Sublime. The pronunciation was "San-uh-tare-ia", I believe is what I heard. You know, just like the words in the first line of the song. :lol:

Is professionalism too much to ask? There's this really cool thing called the internet, where you can find a website called YouTube. You can actually hear people pronouncing words correctly, if you have questions about how to pronounce something.

Since I'm a bit on the bored side some days, I think I'll keep a running list of their faux pas here on the buzzboard. Please, feel free to join in.

It really is comical. If they weren't so good at being bad, it wouldn't be fun. I love most of their rotation, but sometimes I just can't let things like this pass.

Bob Hughes....no, not that one, the other one.

Bdl

Re: WLEW on-air mispoken words

Post by Bdl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

Not sure I'd put YouTube content in the "professional" category.
bobhuge wrote:First of all, lord knows, no one is perfect. I certainly am not. However, I just can't help but crack up at the frequency and creativity of some of the things that come from the mouths of the individuals on the air staff of WLEW. The station "prides" it self on playing all the "hits", yet can't pronounce the names of all of the hits, not to mention the names of artists, cities, countries, etc.

Today, it was the song "Santeria" by Sublime. The pronunciation was "San-uh-tare-ia", I believe is what I heard. You know, just like the words in the first line of the song. :lol:

Is professionalism too much to ask? There's this really cool thing called the internet, where you can find a website called YouTube. You can actually hear people pronouncing words correctly, if you have questions about how to pronounce something.

Since I'm a bit on the bored side some days, I think I'll keep a running list of their faux pas here on the buzzboard. Please, feel free to join in.

It really is comical. If they weren't so good at being bad, it wouldn't be fun. I love most of their rotation, but sometimes I just can't let things like this pass.

Bob Hughes....no, not that one, the other one.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:13 pm

@bdl - lol - True, but it's definitely a source for discovering how to pronounce words. Look for interviews featuring artists. Not every station gets a visit from an A and R guy, so you have to find a somewhat reliable source for your information, and YouTube can get it done.

bh

JRBlitz

Post by JRBlitz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Mike Terry's son was hired to work there. Maybe someone could pass the word on to improve their speaking.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:52 pm

It seems like there's a "Terry" I've heard on there. He's definitely one of the better ones.

I don't know about "passing" anything on, though. Honestly, do the owners of the station not listen to the station? Do they not know what it sounds like? It's not like this is a new station. They've been around for awhile. Also, it'd be one thing if it were not understanding how to pronounce "Gotye". However, we're talking about a song, for instance, where in the first line, the song name is mentioned. Even if that weren't the case, basic reading skills should have you a little closer.

I've heard them refer to The Who, as simply "Who", and they've called Lindsey Buckingham a "she". A couple of the fellows there can't properly pronounce all of the letters of the alphabet. That's all well and good for a college radio station. I guess they're kind of like the Detroit Lions. Why spend money on good talent when I'm selling out every game? :lol:

I honestly don't know what to think about that station when it comes to their hiring of "talent", or the actual execution of duties.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Apparently, it's now pronounced Chad "Krew-ger" - not "Kroh-ger".

I love these guys.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 pm

bobhuge wrote:Apparently, it's now pronounced Chad "Krew-ger" - not "Kroh-ger".

I love these guys.
theres a kroger in Mt Pleasant where the K doesnt work at night, and it says "ROGER", its been like that for as long as i can remember.

junknspam3

Post by junknspam3 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Gotta love small town broadcasting....I prefer it over the canned stuff that too many stations pump out now.
I even will watch WBKB TV 11 in Alpena sometimes for a fresh change of pace....it can be so bad sometimes but wouldn't want to see it go away.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 am

It happens....

My first night at WILS (a million years ago), I backsold Willie Nelson and Julio Ignatius.

At least they have live and local humans there to mispronounce words....gotta give 'em credit for that!

YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:It happens....

My first night at WILS (a million years ago), I backsold Willie Nelson and Julio Ignatius.

At least they have live and local humans there to mispronounce words....gotta give 'em credit for that!
Amen to that, Cal!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Incumbent was pronounced Ink-U-Bent this morning...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Fri May 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Thank you WLEW - Today, it was "Better Than Erza" - I remember a band called "Better Than EZRA". Love 'em..

@Cal - That's funny. The other side is that this isn't their first night. We all make mistakes. However, at some point they should stop.

Also, they aren't always live. They track, just like everybody else. Their talent bounces between 102.1 and 1340 - http://thumbnet.net/wlewamfm.php

@cannedspam - I do like their playlist, or I should say "did" like. In the last couple of years, they've been playing a lot more new music that doesn't fit well with their format, IMO. They're trying to compete with 92.1 out of Caro, with their new music.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Thu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Do you all remember the song by Phil Collins called "Susadio (soo sah DEE yo)"....or wait, is it pronounced "Sussudio (soo SOO dee oh)"?

Thank you, WLEW. You make my day.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Well, I haven't had a chance to listen much lately, and they were so awesome to throw this one out there this evening.

Instead of saying "gubernatorial", the news reader said "goober national".

It was priceless.

R Bedell

Post by R Bedell » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:00 am

I listen to WLEW daily, mainly in the mornings with Max. WLEW is, as far as I know, a "mom & pop" station, and not part of a corporate conglomerate. I can handle their faux pas as opposed to listening the bigger stations and "their way" of doing things. WLEW seems to be a "down home" station and is what is appealing for many.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic