Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Flint Nielsen numbers for radio

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Flint Nielsen numbers for radio

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:13 pm

WIOG outperformed CK 105 in Genesee County! Everyone hates the Bert Show, evidently.

B95 is a ten alarm dumpster fire; holy shit.

103.9 The Fox is kicking ass and taking names. They're my favorite classic rock station in the state, too.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb163

audiophile

Re: Flint Nielsen numbers for radio

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:29 pm

There has to more going on there than meets the eye. It would be interesting to see non-subscribing stations.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

mr v

Post by mr v » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:56 pm

WUOM with better ratings than WHNN & WFBE? Crazy.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 pm

Realize that WUOM is actually WFUM due to simulcast. Not that Fenton/Linden/Fenton Township doesn't hear WUOM better on the South side of hills. It has a substantial combined 2020 population of about 33,000. The deep DA nulls aren't helping in serving the still growing Southern parts of the Market, and the higher terrain there lets stations from neighboring markets get better ratings.

It does seem to be a strange book. WCRZ, WWCK-FM, and WFBE have been underperforming for a long time. WKCQ not subscribing to the ratings is one of the invisible stations getting ratings. The 107.3 translator does seem to be helping WWCK 1570 somewhat.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:53 am

There's little doubt in my mind that WKCQ is kicking B95's butt in Genesee county.

The various Christian stations on FM (excluding the preaching formatted stations) probably pull decent shares collectively, and I suspect 97.1 The Ticket pulls decent numbers, too.

I think this 2.0 share is a new all-time record low for WFBE since its flip to country in the mid 90s. In fact, it might be the lowest all-time share of the past fifty years for any commercial FM (excluding translators) whose tower is located in Genesee County.

WUOM commonly pulls 3+ shares in the Lansing market, so I'm not the least bit surprised it's pulling close to a 3 share in Genesee County, where it benefits from the additional signal at 91.1. If anything, I'm surprised WUOM's share isn't a bit higher.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:55 am

Besides being smaller markets than Grand Rapids and Detroit the problem I have with Flint, The Tri Cities, and Lansing
with their ratings is that Mac Donald Broadcasting doesn't participate. Therefore in Flint and The Tri Cities how do we
know how WKCQ-FM 98 does as a station playing modern country hits. Does WKCQ do better or worse than "The Moose"
in the Tri Cities area and in Flint does it do better or worse than B-95 FM? The same thing can be asked about Lansing
when it comes to the Mac Donald stations there. We don't have an honest answer as to how these stations do when
the company won't participate in the ratings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:52 pm

Tri-Cities: I suspect WCEN beats KCQ in young adult demos and probably 25-54, too. In ages 12+, the two are probably pretty close to each other, but WCEN is probably the better performer of the two.

If I had to hazard a guess, KCQ probably has between a 3 and 4 share in Genesee County.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:05 pm

Is there anyone currently on B95 who's actually FROM the area? That station seems to attract a lot of carpetbaggers who are presumably "between gigs" and spend countless hours looking for a better destination. This is true with the PDs and GMs too. The first gig that comes along in the Sunbelt, and they take the first cocktail waitress out of town.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:01 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:05 pm
Is there anyone currently on B95 who's actually FROM the area? That station seems to attract a lot of carpetbaggers who are presumably "between gigs" and spend countless hours looking for a better destination. This is true with the PDs and GMs too. The first gig that comes along in the Sunbelt, and they take the first cocktail waitress out of town.
Not always. Sometimes they found a nice Suburban schoolteacher.

Then others bounced back and forth between Flint and Phoenix.

Then more than one ended up at WGN and WLS.

It was a different time, but some used to regard their time in Flint as the turning point in their career, and rather enjoyed it.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:00 pm

I asked on another forum but should’ve asked here.

I’ve wondered if Cumulus has ever considered simulcasting one of their Saginaw signals on 105.5 or 95.1? I could see 102.5 or 93.3 being simulcast on 105.5 (and local Flint spots put on 105.5 during breaks)….

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:55 pm

I’ve wondered if Cumulus has ever considered simulcasting one of their Saginaw signals on 105.5 or 95.1? I could see 102.5 or 93.3 being simulcast on 105.5 (and local Flint spots put on 105.5 during breaks)….
WIOG probably overlaps WWCK-FM too much.

WKQZ would make more sense, but neither puts that good of a signal over Saginaw.

WWCK-FM had an highly acclaimed, award winning Album Rock format from 1971 (Dayparted), 1974 (Not Dayparted), until 1988, programmed and managed by the late Peter Cavanaugh, who later went to WIOT Toledo and to Hamilton (Cincinnati) 96.5, which by highly convoluted rules later "moved in" to Lebanon, closer to Cincinnati. The Colonel knew him well.

So some brave tower climber actually put a new FM antenna for 96.5 on the ancient Blaw Knox WLW tower? Anyone know more about that? Anyone? Bueller? Colonel Flagg?

-Author Unknown

SD45

Post by SD45 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 am

WIOG and WHNN signals have always been strong into Flint and Owosso.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 am

105.5 and 95.1 would both have significantly better ratings if Cumulus would simply dump the national morning shows that are imported from Atlanta.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:22 am

Realist wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:00 pm

I’ve wondered if Cumulus has ever considered simulcasting... 93.3...on 105.5 (and local Flint spots put on 105.5 during breaks)….
WIOG is a rare instance where an owner's own out-of-market signal is cannibalizing its own in-market signal. WIOG has targeted Flint in the past - seems to me they should go back to doing that and do something different with WWCK. I've suggested in the past what you have here - a simulcast of Z-93, but WKQZ's ratings have been sub-par in the Tri-Cities as of late.

If they did something like that with WIOG, I would do the same with WHNN and put a format on there that could compete in Flint. They could either go back to classic hits (which if I recall routinely pulled a 3-4 share in Flint), or maybe move the WILZ classic rock format to WHNN and then do something different with both WWCK and WILZ. Maybe WILZ and WHNN simply swap formats. So to summarize:

WIOG - CHR, target Saginaw and Flint
WHNN - Classic Rock, target Saginaw and Flint
WILZ - Hot AC/Classic hits hybrid
WWCK - simulcast Z-93

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:22 am
Realist wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:00 pm

I’ve wondered if Cumulus has ever considered simulcasting... 93.3...on 105.5 (and local Flint spots put on 105.5 during breaks)….
WIOG is a rare instance where an owner's own out-of-market signal is cannibalizing its own in-market signal. WIOG has targeted Flint in the past - seems to me they should go back to doing that and do something different with WWCK. I've suggested in the past what you have here - a simulcast of Z-93, but WKQZ's ratings have been sub-par in the Tri-Cities as of late.

If they did something like that with WIOG, I would do the same with WHNN and put a format on there that could compete in Flint. They could either go back to classic hits (which if I recall routinely pulled a 3-4 share in Flint), or maybe move the WILZ classic rock format to WHNN and then do something different with both WWCK and WILZ. Maybe WILZ and WHNN simply swap formats. So to summarize:

WIOG - CHR, target Saginaw and Flint
WHNN - Classic Rock, target Saginaw and Flint
WILZ - Hot AC/Classic hits hybrid
WWCK - simulcast Z-93
OMG I think this is the first time you and I have completely agreed on something!

I’ve always thought classic rock on 96.1 would be a perfect format for them, as it would be a perfect circle of what they were in the 70’s/early 80’s. Go back to the “Super WHNN / 96 WHNN” moniker. It would hurt 103.9 the Fox and Lapeer’s 103.1.

Z93 on 105.5 would be perfect - and would bring back memories of the original 105FM

Since the overall ratings for the AC format on 100K blowtorch WHNN are 1/2 of what they were versus classic hits, moving that format to 104.5 makes sense

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic