Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Beyonce and Country Music Part 2

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
zzand

Re: Beyonce and Country Music Part 2

Post by zzand » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:56 am

Country music basic fan info from Neilson

72% own their own homes
51% are employed full-time
47% have children
35% have graduated college
Average household income is $81,100
82% use a smartphone.
64% spend five or more hours online each week
53% visit social networks multiple times a day.
87% say when they find a brand, they stick with it
Tend to be less open to new ideas, i.e., more conservative
23 million have attended a country concert in the last year
21% of country concert goers attended three or more concert in the last year
48% of those between the ages of 18-54 attend concerts or festivals
Listeners are spread relatively evenly across the nation in both major markets and small towns

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:07 am

Does it indicate what percentage have had a pickup truck repossessed or what percentage of their real teeth remain attached to their head?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:27 am

This thread has been eye opening as it has exposed several bigots. The OP singling out a pop singer who is of color crossing over to country.I saw no such uproar when Pink or Gwen Stefani did so, with success I might add. The poster who painted a colorful if incorrect picture of the country music listener and TC Talks who likes to come off as an intellectual but has just proven he is Archie Bunker.

Barry Sanders

Post by Barry Sanders » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:14 am

zzand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:27 am
This thread has been eye opening as it has exposed several bigots. The OP singling out a pop singer who is of color crossing over to country.I saw no such uproar when Pink or Gwen Stefani did so, with success I might add. The poster who painted a colorful if incorrect picture of the country music listener and TC Talks to who likes to come off as an intellectual but has just proven he is Archie Bunker.
Two things.

1. I completely agree with your point about bigots being exposed in this thread.

2. Neither Pink nor Gwen Stefani (or any female artist generally speaking) has had any major solo success in the format for YEARS. As a female artist, the only consistent way to the top of the charts these days is to record a duet with a major male artist. That’s the case for both country and non-country artists. Case in point? Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood, still two of the biggest names in the format, haven’t had any solo #1’s in at least 5 years.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:24 am

On the chart dated August 1, 2020, "Bluebird" became Lambert's first number 1 single on the Billboard Country Airplay chart as a solo artist since 2012's "Over You", and her fifth career number 1 on the chart. Underwood's was five years ago with Southbound and yes Pink had a duet with Keith Urban and Stefani had a duet with hubby Blake Shelton.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:10 pm

zzand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:27 am
TC Talks who likes to come off as an intellectual but has just proven he is Archie Bunker.
Either that or I am echoing the old country song joke.

I understand who country listeners are, significant suburban listenership 50/50 male to female, and loads of rural listenership. But as far as bigotry, there are many stations that have a veiled assumption that it's for a good old pickup truck driving bubba. It's more a brand than a reflection of their listenership.

I listen to bluegrass and rockabilly very often. You'd think country stations would be playing that stuff, bit they don't.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:39 pm

Thanks for all of that intel... I was just trying to wrap my brain around some of the comments that were made about the country music listener and the part about racist PDs.

I have been a die-hard country music listener my entire life, and one of the key elements (at least in my opinion) is that country music tells a story (culture, lifestyle, morals, and subject matter as well). Beyonce's song doesn't tell a story, it just strings together a bunch of country music stereotypes into a song with a banjo and violin. I have heard worse, but I just don't think Beyonce's country debut will be very long-lived. I think the success she has received in downloads is more due to her core fans.

It would not surprise me if country music audiences rejected her if she came out with more, but I just don't think it would be race-based. I think society has come a long way in the racism/bigotry issue...we can always improve but as a society, I think we have made strides.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic