Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Derek Falter is out as Market Manager at Cumulus GR; successor named

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Derek Falter is out as Market Manager at Cumulus GR; successor named

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 pm

I suppose LAV's sinking ratings and poor personnel decisions may have cost Mr. Falter his job? Or, in contrast, perhaps he chose to bail on his own?

His replacement was the GSM for Cumulus' Dallas, TX sports and news/talk stations.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sports makes a return to 107.3.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2685 ... t-manager/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Re: Derek Falter is out as Market Manager at Cumulus GR; successor named

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon May 13, 2024 4:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 pm
I suppose LAV's sinking ratings and poor personnel decisions may have cost Mr. Falter his job? Or, in contrast, perhaps he chose to bail on his own?

His replacement was the GSM for Cumulus' Dallas, TX sports and news/talk stations.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sports makes a return to 107.3.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2685 ... t-manager/
Maybe Falter will return to Duluth 🥶❄️❄️
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon May 13, 2024 7:30 pm

Hoping that this new guy can fix the cluster F GR group.

I find it interesting that Cumulus can have a smoothly run (ratings wise) cluster in Saginaw but just constantly stubs their toes in the GR cluster

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Sat May 18, 2024 12:15 pm

Whoever is in charge of Cumulus in G.R. should first and foremost get rid of that "Thunder Country" on 107.3 FM. Over the
past few years I have repeated myself that it is insane to allow the modern major label country hits to be played on a
station that the people constantly ignore. B-93 is enough for people who enjoy that music. All that 107.3 FM offers is
more automation, voice tracking, and programs from far away places without any good local programming. I think
that Cumulus demonstrates their arrogance by insisting to keep "Thunder Country" on 107.3 FM.

The next thing that they should do is make a new classic rock playlist for WLAV. I would eliminate almost all big top 40
hits of the 70's that WGRD constantly played on WGRD AM & FM under the programming of Ron White. Basically WLAV
should stick to the AOR hits from the late 60's through the 80's.

The next thing that they should do is play better rock from the late 70's to the 2000's on WKLQ
I would also change the on air lineup on both WKLQ and WLAV. I'd also make Hot FM more competitive with WSNX.

The Painted Horse

Post by The Painted Horse » Sat May 18, 2024 12:53 pm

Quality of air talent, on-air product, etc is a relatively minor concern in radio these days. Ownership ultimately only cares about profitability. Jocks no longer need to be “good” necessarily. Are they bringing in enough endorsement money to validate their salary? If they are they get to keep their job. That’s not hyperbole. It’s the way things have been for years. Ratings are generally only going to come into play for national advertisers who look at cost per point, etc. I think MW recently me tioned that a station can be profitable despite poor ratings. That’s absolutely true. So, if Thunder (for example) has a 1.8 but is still in the black then corporate does NOT care. They’ll still look for ways to make it MORE profitable but very rarely are they looking for a perceived better on-air product. Long story longer, if there’s a profit, changes are very unlikely to be made.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sat May 18, 2024 2:51 pm

I sales manager from Dallas to be a GM. Could have just as well grabbed a Walmart greeter from Grand Rapids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic