Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Last Week of FOX 17’s “Davis…”

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

The Last Week of FOX 17’s “Davis…”

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:46 am

Morning News floor director and comedy relief element Mike Davis will retire after 40 years with WXMI on Friday, Jan. 12.

Won’t pretend to know the service runs of all who wound up on camera in the Grand Rapids market, but as to assisting the product as a staffer or on-air talent it seems only George Lessens at WZZM has greater tenure.

Keith Thompson and Joe LaFurgey appear to be “clubhouse leaders” at their respective signals. This is simply observation, not assessment and to all who “leave their station” or keep tarrying, best wishes.

teetoppz28

Re: The Last Week of FOX 17’s “Davis…”

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:37 pm

I'll miss the Davis quotes:

"Roll the Friday funnies!!"
"Happy birthday! Enjoy your special day!"

I've noticed he's been absent more often lately. I figured he was using up his PTO before retirement. I guess I was correct.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:51 pm

Will be interesting to see if Davis' replacement has a similar on camera presence. He definitely made the show unique compared to the other three stations.
---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:59 am

Trophyhead wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:46 am
Morning News floor director and comedy relief element Mike Davis will retire after 40 years with WXMI on Friday, Jan. 12.

Won’t pretend to know the service runs of all who wound up on camera in the Grand Rapids market, but as to assisting the product as a staffer or on-air talent it seems only George Lessens at WZZM has greater tenure.

Keith Thompson and Joe LaFurgey appear to be “clubhouse leaders” at their respective signals. This is simply observation, not assessment and to all who “leave their station” or keep tarrying, best wishes.
Henry Erb has been at WOOD for over 50 years now.

Bill Steffen had a combined 48 years in the market before officially retiring, but that's split between two stations.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:15 pm

As to Erb, it was noted after making this post that he’s part of their investigative team. That’s why “appear” was attached to Joe LaFurgey’s mention, and I figured he probably draws more bylines a year. I went with my gut and Googled the terms I had offered in guesses.

I think these tenure stretches are notable, as their like are doubtful to occur again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic