Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blunder 107.3 ties worst AQH share ever; WGRD expands lead over WLAV

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Blunder 107.3 ties worst AQH share ever; WGRD expands lead over WLAV

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:04 pm

WGRD now leads WLAV by nearly three full shares. :eek

B93 now leads Blunder by a greater than 7:1 margin.

Mix 95.7 sees life and posted its best 12+ mark in a while.

I was surprised to see 1340 / 106.1 with a 0.8 share. That is actually a respectable number for that pair of crummy signals.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ChrisWL1980

Re: Blunder 107.3 ties worst AQH share ever; WGRD expands lead over WLAV

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Can't wait to see how "Ms Warmth" explains this one.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:35 pm

Blunder was airing dead air earlier this evening. Thought they maybe threw in the towel.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:43 pm

Thunder is close to being behind Jethro FM!

Also, both All Christmas stations have a slight uptick

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:59 pm

I should note that the published shares are rolling three month figures.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Re: WLAV

Oldies stations started kicking 60's music to the curb 15+ years ago. Essentially music 40 years old and older at that time was determined to be no longer viable for commercial radio at that point. So why are Classic Rock stations like WLAV still playing Stairway to Heaven, Stop Draggin' my Heart Around, Live and Let Die, The Stroke, Gold Dust Woman, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Don't Stop Believin', Touch Me, White Wedding, Jump, Touch of Grey, Killer Queen, and Sypathy for the Devil? (all moldy shit played by WLAV per their playlist earlier today).

No wonder they are getting their ass kicked.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:35 am

80s rock with some 70s is the backbone of nearly all classic rock stations. When LAV tried playing more 90s material, the ratings fell.

WGRD in the past seven or eight years has added more and more music from the classic rock era. They are noticeably more conservative musically than WRIF these days, although in terms of new adds, the two stations seem to operate similarly. I hate all the crust bucket rock on GRD but it works well for them.

I think LAV's issues have more to do with two very popular personalities leaving the station (Tony Gates and Rob Brandt) and three stations sharing a decent amount of music overlap with them (WBFX, WGRD and WFGR).

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:03 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:35 am
80s rock with some 70s is the backbone of nearly all classic rock stations. When LAV tried playing more 90s material, the ratings fell.

WGRD in the past seven or eight years has added more and more music from the classic rock era. They are noticeably more conservative musically than WRIF these days, although in terms of new adds, the two stations seem to operate similarly. I hate all the crust bucket rock on GRD but it works well for them.

I think LAV's issues have more to do with two very popular personalities leaving the station (Tony Gates and Rob Brandt) and three stations sharing a decent amount of music overlap with them (WBFX, WGRD and WFGR).
I get that 80's is core, but a quick glance at their playlist is heavily 70s - not only that, but the same burned out, literal shit that's been played for 35+ years on Classic Rock stations. Go Your Own Way, Sultans of Swing, Caught Up In You, Keep On Lovin' You - among other stale garbage all played in the last hour. I get there are a lot of methheads that can listen to that stuff regularly, but is it running its course with others?

1960s music was supposedly by and large unsellable by the early 2000s. Why isn't 70s music the same case 20 years later? Seems like that should be 10 years past due at this point.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:07 pm

LAV added in a lot of those 70s tunes after the ratings sagged when more 90s were played. LAV immediately saw improved ratings.

Soon after, 101.3 flipped to 60s & 70s oldies, and GRD began adding more crust bucket rock.

I would love to see more rock stations like 99.5 KISS in San Antonio where most of the music played is from 1993 to 2008.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:53 pm

I just saw the G.R. area ratings for November and I saw that B-93 was number one once again. I still wonder how long
Cumulus will continue this insane nonsense of playing the same modern major label country hits on their Blunder Country
when B-93 has that market cornered and will continue to do so. All Blunder offers is the same music as B-93 with more
automation and voice tracks much of which isn't produced in G.R. Cumulus doesn't care what the people of metro G.R.
think and I feel that is a very arrogant attitude to have.
I still think that if they want to keep 107.3 FM they should flip to either classic country, oldies (a return to WODJ that
they botched several years ago), adult hits like Jack FM in Kalamazoo. or maybe a return to sports and "The Ball". I
dare say even an Urban flip would be better that their continued insanity. I know I used to get repetitive with my
disdain for what's on 107.3 FM but it's time that G.R. gets a format change on commercial radio. That would improve
the radio market by far If Cumulus won't flip 107.3 FM then perhaps they should sell it as they've been selling their
stations in Detroit other than WJR.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:04 pm

Cumulus never owned WODJ; that station died under Citadel.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:00 am

MW, you do have to give Greg credit for focus in his post.

Let me say someone ought to give a little more attention to the rotation on WKLQ. Should I be hearing whatever the tune is about "drinking alcohol till my friends come home for Christmas" in my morning and evening commute? I know the bodies to manage that kind of effort are few in a corporate cluster these days, just wishful thinking ahead of the holiday.

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:04 pm
Mix 95.7 sees life and posted its best 12+ mark in a while.
My wife isn't into Christmas music so she's been playing WLHT more than usual. I'm wondering if this is an anti-Christmas bump?

I will give them credit, even though I'm not the target audience, the morning show has sounded much better recently than I remember. So kudos to them for the improvement.
In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:18 pm

Trophyhead wrote:MW, you do have to give Greg credit for focus in his post.

Let me say someone ought to give a little more attention to the rotation on WKLQ. Should I be hearing whatever the tune is about "drinking alcohol till my friends come home for Christmas" in my morning and evening commute? I know the bodies to manage that kind of effort are few in a corporate cluster these days, just wishful thinking ahead of the holiday.
Noah Kahan (the artist behind that song) is H*** in the format right now. I hear that one quite frequently on AAA stations.

Also, 94.5’s rotation of currents/recurrents isn’t that bad IMO; the former 93.9 the River in Detroit was much worse with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
take this job and shove it

The Painted Horse

Post by The Painted Horse » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:23 pm

I think the point Trophyhead was making is that the same songs shouldn’t be played at 7:30a and 5:30p (for example) because in theory the same audience is listening on their way to and from work. Although with work from home and more work schedule flexibility, etc these days I’m not sure that rule still applies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic