Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

April Nielsen #s - The Q reaches new record high; WLHT's struggles continue

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

April Nielsen #s - The Q reaches new record high; WLHT's struggles continue

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 29, 2023 8:23 am

Channel 95.7 just turned in a real shit box of a book. To be losing to 105.3 Hot FM, a station with significant signal issues in the heart of the city, ought to be embarrassing.

95.7 should be grabbing 4 shares consistently.

Is the new morning show dragging down the station, or do other problems exist?

Perhaps 95.7 has lost share to WKLQ, which just earned its best share ever as a AAA station, with a 3.8.

Ghetto Magic 104.9 is performing poorly, too, and perhaps should've never dumped Urban AC.

Star 105.7 so far has held onto decent shares moving into the spring months. Will they take their usual dump come summertime?

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Realist

Re: April Nielsen #s - The Q reaches new record high; WLHT's struggles continue

Post by Realist » Mon May 29, 2023 10:39 am

Glad to see GRD keep losing ratings. What a 💩 playlist with way too much classic rock

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon May 29, 2023 4:30 pm

Here are my comments on the April ratings. First of all WCSG and B-93 continue to dominate the market although both
shares were down slightly. WLAV jumped up to number three and maintained a 5.4% share. I still say that Town Square
should flip WLHT-FM to classic rock because I still believe that WLAV needs competition and the other Town Square stations
aren't strong enough to give WLAV competition. Without the veteran air aces Rob Brandt, Steve Aldrich, and Tone "the fun
guy" Gates i think WLAV is beatable. WLAV needs competition badly because GR needs a better classic rock station.
Regarding WLHT my thoughts are all negative. First of all they only got a 2.6% share in the April ratings. Secondly
they should drop those WLHT call letters because they're not "light" at all. Thirdly none of the music I've heard on the
station sounds good. Fourthly they play and say "2K to Today" and avoid older music. That may be ok if they want to
appeal to teenagers and young adults under 35 but it alienates an older and broader audience. Besides that we already
have Top 40 CHR stations WSNX and Hot FM that appeal to the youngsters under 35 so how can they call it "Hot A/C?
The previous post said that they should have pulled a 4% share but I don't see that as a possibility with the CHR stations
going for the same demographic.
Regarding WGRD which came in fourth with a 5.7% share all I can say is that they're the only active rock station in
the market. The previous post and in posts past I know these guys have complained that WGRD plays too much of
the classic rock but what they don't consider is that WGRD mixes in classic rock that still has significance today in-
cluding among young people. Examples of this include their selections from The Doors. Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin,
Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, and Kiss. With those songs played WGRD does appeal to a wide audience of people that
range from the teens of today to the old hippies in their late 70's and early 80's. If Town Square did flip WLHT to a
classic rock format only then would I recommend cutting back on the classic rock played on WGRD.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 29, 2023 5:15 pm

Classic Rock on LHT is an interesting scenario to ponder, but it won't happen, because such a move would step on GRD's toes too much. Townsquare also likes running syndicated crap at night, just like LAV does now. The playlist of Kalamazoo's WRKR (GRD's sister station) is very underwhelming.

I think Country on 95.7 is more of a possibility if a flip were to be considered. No doubt, Townsquare will always want a female friendly format on at least one of its two big signals locally.

I still would love to know the real reason the Channel 95-7 brand was dumped years ago for the milquetoast "Mix" moniker.

MrsWarmth

Post by MrsWarmth » Wed May 31, 2023 12:38 am

WLAV dominant over WGRD. It's inevitable that WLAV is once again Grand Rapids' Rock Station.

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:00 am

The fact that GRD is only around 1.25 shares above an automated station like WKLQ is crazy. WKLQ has no live DJ's or contests. Just a dam good playlist.
Last edited by wonderkid69 on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:50 pm

94.5 is the basically the only terrestrial station I listen to anymore, 106.5 and 100.5 occasionally though

Other than that It's Spotify, SXM 5, 8,9,10, 11, 12, 15 and 16, 28, 34, 35, 36 and 58

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic