Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lori Bennett out at Cumulus Media

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
TurdFerguson

Lori Bennett out at Cumulus Media

Post by TurdFerguson » Tue May 23, 2023 6:52 am

Lori Bennett officially out at Cumulus Media

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Lori Bennett out at Cumulus Media

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 23, 2023 7:03 am

We'll see who replaces her. I will say 94.5 the Q was a decent accomplishment, but it's the only one that comes to mind, and frankly, I have no idea what type of biller that station is.

I wonder if Brandt was offered Lori's job for less money than he was previously making?

My guess is one OM/PD will handle duties for all stations in the cluster. Not many folks out there who can program *both* classic rock and CHR well. The Cloud just hired a guy to be PD of both WXKR (classic rock) and WQQO (CHR or Hot AC) in Toledo. He has zero CHR / Hot AC experience.

I remember when Eric O'Brien programmed WBFX (classic rock) and WMAX (alternative). Both stations sounded like horseshit from a playlist management vantage point. WSNX, though, sounded great. The funny thing is, WMAX sounded much better after dumping all local programming for "premium choice" its final few months on the air. The dumb bitch from L.A. (Lisa Worden, I think?) hadn't ruined iHM's alternative platform yet.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 am

The only thing that surprises me about this is that it took the suits this long to pull the trigger.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue May 23, 2023 11:43 am

I'm not sure what really is going on with Cumulus of G.R. but it's a shame that Rob Brandt isn't on WLAV anymore. He was
the only on air guy remaining there that I liked on and off the air. I'm thinking that Cumulus was in the process of unloading
their veteran air aces and Rob was the last to go. After all, they got rid of Steve Aldrich and Tone "the fun guy" Gates not
too long ago. As far as Lori Bennett is concerned all she was for them was a continuation of Bruce Law who had the crazy
idea of putting "Thunder Country" on 107.3 FM after Cumulus messed up their sports format on "The Ball" . Cumulus lost the
coverage of some college and professional sports teams and replacing 107.3 FM with the same music as B-93 didn't help.
I would like to see Cumulus take a serious look at their G.R. stations because changes should be made now that Lori is
out of there. As I said in previous posts the first thing they should do is drop "Thunder Country" on 107.3 FM. My previous
posts have suggested some formats to flip to. I think they could make their Top 40/CHR station "Hot FM" more compe-
titive with I Hearts WSNX although that format sux no matter who does it. I think WKLQ could add some better music from
the late 70's up to now because the only artist that they play who I like is Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. I know their most
valued station WLAV jumped up in the last ratings with their classic rock format but they could improve WLAV as well. They
shouldn't call themselves "live and local" when they have that Steve Gorman on weeknights who all Cumulus classic rock
stations in the Midwest carry. I don't think most local classic rock listeners care about Gorman telling things about such
markets as Peoria, IL is worth listening to. I'm also thinking that WLAV could add some deeper cuts but without Rob or
Steve I don't think that is likely. WLAV claims their classic rock music is locally picked but without Rob I doubt if any of
it will be I still think WLAV needs some serious classic rock competition. That's it on my thoughts of Cumulus of G.R.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 pm

The Q won’t have any more classic rock product added; they would severely overlap with LAV if that happened.

However, I’ve heard Dire Straits, the Grateful Dead, Marc Cohn, John Hiatt, and others on there, and this was during regular programming, so maybe they’ll loosen that up. However, a good chunk of AAA stations have dumped their classic rock product over the last few years.

I do think the currents they play are fitting; they should stay the course there. Overall, the station sounds very good as of late.

If they kill off the Q, there goes my only option in GR proper besides Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

radionut

Post by radionut » Tue May 23, 2023 8:34 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:52 am
Lori Bennett officially out at Cumulus Media
She was let go May 8th

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:58 pm

Here's how Cumulus distributed the PD duties post Lori's exit (per the station websites):

Rob Sparks (who joined 105.3 earlier this year to host afternoons after his exit from WLHT): PD of WHTS and WKLQ
Gregg Henson: PD of WLAV, WTNR, and WJRW

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:16 pm

I'm surprised the same PD wasn't assigned 105.3 and 107.3 given new country stations often lean 55/45 female to male. That's interesting.

Might 107.3 return to a Sports format? That *is* Henson's forte, after all.

I also was unaware Mr. Sparks was hired for 105.3. Is Broadway no longer tracking for 105.3? Anyway, he should be a much better PD than Bennett. (I hope she isn't returning to WDVD.)

I thank you for the info!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:16 pm

I also was unaware Mr. Sparks was hired for 105.3. Is Broadway no longer tracking for 105.3? Anyway, he should be a much better PD than Bennett. (I hope she isn't returning to WDVD.)
Broadway is no longer tracking for 105.3. Rob took his place in afternoon drive.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:23 pm

I might have to actually give 105.3 a decent listen in a few weeks.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:20 pm

Hopefully her replacement will do a curtain call of the first all woman morning show, Grey and Greene.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:06 am

Has Henson *ever* programmed a music-based FM until now?

Seems to me handing him the keys of a venerable station such as WLAV might be a bad idea.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:06 am
Seems to me handing him the keys of a venerable station such as WLAV might be a bad idea.
I'd bet on it. I'm sure they haven't learned from the disaster they pushed out the door last month.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic