Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

February Ratings for G.R.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Greg Buben

February Ratings for G.R.

Post by Greg Buben » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:15 pm

The February Nielsen ratings came out on the last day of March for the Grand Rapids market. I was amazed to see that
WCSG as a non commercial christian station was number one overall. Although WCSG does well in the ratings them at
number one seems high even in what's a so called conservative radio market. They increased to a 8.3% share overall.
This tells me that people are turning more religious and that the commercial stations are declining on their influence.
It seems to me that B-93 should be number one instead with all of the power it has, the financial power of I Heart Media,
and the professional presentation of it's modern country hits format. B-93 came in number two with a 8.1% share but
I do think it will increase the next month as we get closer to the ever so famous B-93 Birthday Bash in June. B-93 was
the only commercial station with more than an 8% share.
The number three station WGRD came in third with a 6.1% share. That was the same share as in January. WGRD with
its active rock format deserves to be ranked high not because I enjoy them but because they mix significant and relevant
rock from the past with the newest rock. Sometimes they can sound good to me although I can't keep it on very long.
Town Square Media has it's best station in G.R. with WGRD by far. WGRD is the only Town Square station in the Top Ten.
I-Heart had numbers four to six with WOOD, WSNX, and Star 105.7 FM. All of those stations were in the 4. something area.
Between those stations and B-93 at number two I Heart continues to dominate the commercial radio stations in G.R.
I would share a link to the monthly ratings but I'm not clear on how it gets specifically to the Grand Rapids page. Perhaps
Reese Rikards or somebody else who's done it in the past can offer the link. I know it starts out something like https//
ratings-online.com but beyond that I'm not clear on how it specifically goes to the Grand Rapids page.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: February Ratings for G.R.

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:37 pm

Here ya go:
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

WLHT appears to be shitting the bed a little. The last time their numbers were this poor were when Kidd Kraddick's crappy syndicated morning show was aired.

Magic 104.9 has racked up a few rotten books in a row.

The 12+ share for Big 101.3 is respectable, but I suspect their 25-54 share is much lower.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:16 pm

WCSG #1. Perhaps a sign of the times? Perhaps a reaction to the extreme Secularism of outrageous Music playlists on other stations?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:22 pm

Any PD worth their salt will tell you the overall ratings on who’s Number 1 don’t mean Jack squat. They want to be in the Top 3 of the demographic that they’re aiming for.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:25 pm

wcsg is number 1 because it's properly run by people who give a shit

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:31 pm

Definitely. I also strongly suspect they are #1 in their target of W25-54 in addition to being #1 overall. They are seldom lower than second place in their target (B93 is the only other station that is usually in the same ballpark as them).

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:28 pm

Or could it be because they don't play commercials?
Or is that too obvious.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:30 pm

How is WGVU-AM listed as an Oldies station with ratings in the Dec '22 and Jan '23 columns when they signed off in Jan. of 2022?

Wish it were so, but their demise and the Oldies landscape since they left the air is another subject to be explored further.

bosco

Post by bosco » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:32 pm

A few thoughts from an old guy, somewhat biased:

I saw the change and the upswing of CCM (WCSG's format) ten-fifteen years ago. Forty, sixty years ago people were into the top 40. Then modern country came along, and it became the "Top 40" station. And CCM in most markets is now taking that top 40 image over.

WCSG makes no mistakes on the air. Two people in the morning, two in mid-days, two in afternoon drive. Two full time news people. And a full time PD. For one station.

Between Cumulus, Townsquare and Iheart, how many stations have a live announcer at 1:00 PM?

User Avatar> " Or could it be because they don't play commercials?" Big point. And they have news, weather and traffic.

And the technical plant is extremely high quality. Thank you George Lake for doing that. Makes my day.

Personally, I feel sorry for any one left in commercial radio. I've spent time at WOOD, WLAV and the great days of WCUZ. Radio was fun, and made money. Lots of it. Competition was fierce, and made local radio great. But when I listen to the big 3 in town, I wince, as there is no soul in those voice tracked cuts. Go to WCSG and they are playing a phone cut from someone who called in on, wait for it, the studio/request/live DJ line, that was answered.

In the mean time, retirement is beyond fun.

Tom Bosscher

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:46 am

When I posted the news of the February ratings I naturally discussed the top stations. One thing that I found peculiar
about the other stations is that their was no available number for the classic hits station WFGR. I really don't understand
why the Town Square sister stations have numbers listed without WFGR having theirs. Something seems weird about that.
As long as I mentioned WFGR in this post I should also point out that The Big 101.3 FM sometimes refer to themselves as
"classic hits" too. I like the "classic hits" on The Big 101.3 FM better than WFGR because their classic hits on The Big 101.3 FM
go from the mid 60's now through the mid 80's while WFGR goes from the 70's (usually mid to late 70's) through the mid
90's. Although the two stations may not be targeting the exact demographic of one another I think any classic hits station
that avoids all 60's hits isn't worth calling "classic". After all even active rock stations such as WGRD still play 60's rock hits
that are still relevant today such as hits by The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and the AOR hits from the Black Sabbath
Paraniod album. Therefore WGRD the active rock sister station to classic hits WFGR goes back further than WFGR.
Another point regarding format classifications that should be pointed out is that when listed in the ratings they call
WBFX oldies when they should say "classic hits'. The reasons why "oldies" can't describe "The Big 101.3 FM" is because
they don't play anything earlier than the mid 60's when The Beatles came to the USA and appeared on the Ed Sullivan
TV show in 1964. Without the 50's and pre Beatle early 60's "oldies" isn't a suitable way of describing WBFX.

LongIsland

Post by LongIsland » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:15 am

I haven't posted in a while, but like Bosco, I can't help but chime in.

I confess, I "chuckle" when I hear people thinking that WCSG is a fluke, or a one-book aberration. I'm also grateful for people (like MWmetalHead and others) who see it and get it.

Having served at WCSG as long as I did, I'll be somewhat biased as well. The numbers may not mean much, they may even be off, but that's ok. The team at WCSG cares very little about the book and the numbers. It's one tool, one means of assessment, but certainly not the only one.

Why has WCSG consistently been rated in the top three for better than ten years. I'm just guessing, but I believe it's because WCSG's doesn't view Joy99 nor iHeart, Cumulus, or TownSquare, or Spotify or podcasts as its primary competition. WCSG's greatest competition is who they were yesterday, and that's the way it's always been. As for the previously mentioned "competitors," they're tools to be harnessed and used to gain an even greater influence.

The team serves with heart and passion and like its actually fun to be in radio. H*** props to Jeremy & Amanda, Tom & Anja, Steve & Kathy, Dodd, and the rest of the team. And H*** props to veterans Dave Gale, Tom Bosscher, Michael Sirianni, Gary Hunt, Russ Clark, Steve Dirksen, and other iHeart casualties who found a great place to work. We loved having you. And yes, kudos to 27+ year friend and partner, Brian Wright who has fingerprints on the station as well.

Almost 40 years there, and loved it. Now working with/consulting other stations around the country, I can now verify that WCSG is one of the best stations in the country. Content is king; story is supreme. Set the standard high for skill and service; if it's just "good enough," it ain't good enough.

Chris Lemke
WCSG On-air person, 1982-1992
WCSG PD, 1992-2005ish
WCSG OM, 2004-2009
WCSG GM, 2009-2021

P.S. Oh, and by the way, hats off to the *best sounding morning news voice* in all of radio, WCSG's morning news voice for 41+ CONSECUTIVE years, Becky Carlson. Just sayin'. :)

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:53 pm

bosco wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:32 pm
A few thoughts from an old guy, somewhat biased:

I saw the change and the upswing of CCM (WCSG's format) ten-fifteen years ago. Forty, sixty years ago people were into the top 40. Then modern country came along, and it became the "Top 40" station. And CCM in most markets is now taking that top 40 image over.

WCSG makes no mistakes on the air. Two people in the morning, two in mid-days, two in afternoon drive. Two full time news people. And a full time PD. For one station.

Between Cumulus, Townsquare and Iheart, how many stations have a live announcer at 1:00 PM?

User Avatar> " Or could it be because they don't play commercials?" Big point. And they have news, weather and traffic.

And the technical plant is extremely high quality. Thank you George Lake for doing that. Makes my day.

Personally, I feel sorry for any one left in commercial radio. I've spent time at WOOD, WLAV and the great days of WCUZ. Radio was fun, and made money. Lots of it. Competition was fierce, and made local radio great. But when I listen to the big 3 in town, I wince, as there is no soul in those voice tracked cuts. Go to WCSG and they are playing a phone cut from someone who called in on, wait for it, the studio/request/live DJ line, that was answered.

In the mean time, retirement is beyond fun.

Tom Bosscher
No commercials, better on air personalities... sure. OR it could be people are starting to draw away from this crazy world and pop-culture and latch on to the only thing that makes solves the issue... Jesus. I know it's not a popular idea... Oh wait, WCSG is number one so maybe it is a popular idea.

Pop culture has reached all-time moral lows, Grammys draw record-low audiences, country music awards feature trannies dancing... people are longing for the truth... Yes, the team there is great but there is more to it.

I feel like I have to say this, If you disagree with me, that is OK, I have no doubt we can still be friends. Let's stop fighting.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Expressing an opinion is one thing. Using a slur (like "tranny", which I consider as bad as the n-word) is another. We get enough of that from a certain parasite whom the moderator has yet to eliminate. That's all I'll say about that.

With that out of the way... WCSG wins because it is the closest thing to real radio West Michigan has. K-Love could come to town and CSG would still eat them for lunch, because CSG's localism and community commitment helps it win. Smile FM is in the market and its voice-tracking and stale 150-song playlist get only a fraction of what WCSG gets. While I don't agree with CSG's politics, I respect them for what they do and being good at it.

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:06 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:32 pm
Expressing an opinion is one thing. Using a slur (like "tranny", which I consider as bad as the n-word) is another. We get enough of that from a certain parasite whom the moderator has yet to eliminate. That's all I'll say about that.

With that out of the way... WCSG wins because it is the closest thing to real radio West Michigan has. K-Love could come to town and CSG would still eat them for lunch, because CSG's localism and community commitment helps it win. Smile FM is in the market and its voice-tracking and stale 150-song playlist get only a fraction of what WCSG gets. While I don't agree with CSG's politics, I respect them for what they do and being good at it.
Thank you for reminding me I live in 2023, and you are right... me using the word tranny was in poor taste and did diminish my point.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:53 am

WCSG's traffic is one reason people listen but they farm that out. The traffic announcer just said NewsRadio over WSCG.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic