Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

COZI-TV apparently on the sidelines, for now...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

COZI-TV apparently on the sidelines, for now...

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:43 am

Nexstar Media Group has shuffled its OTA side-channel lineup, taking the "Stadium" betting/sports channel to 15.2, airing TheGrio on 8.3, where Stadium had been and thus, it's COZI-TV seemingly on the shelf for the moment.

I know 54.3 through 54.5 still read "New Channel Coming Soon," and would welcome any info on the return of COZI, THIS or other outlets we have seen or not seen through antenna transmission!

tvbobn

Re: COZI-TV apparently on the sidelines, for now...

Post by tvbobn » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:43 am
Nexstar Media Group has shuffled its OTA side-channel lineup, taking the "Stadium" betting/sports channel to 15.2, airing TheGrio on 8.3, where Stadium had been and thus, it's COZI-TV seemingly on the shelf for the moment.

I know 54.3 through 54.5 still read "New Channel Coming Soon," and would welcome any info on the return of COZI, THIS or other outlets we have seen or not seen through antenna transmission!
Why do you call them "side-channels"?

They are called "sub-channels" throughout the television broadcast industry.

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:21 am

And yet, tvbobn, you understood exactly what I wrote of.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:54 am

If you're just trying start a trend, then go for it.

Calling something by a name that you just made up and then post it a broadcast blog makes you sound like you you don't really know what your posting about and that your posts aren't worth reading!

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:46 pm

Stadium wasn't on 8.3 it was Sportsgird before TheGrio took 8.3 in late Oct. Stadium is owned by Sinclair which afternoon is just Live On The Line and College Hoops Live on a loop every hour. I didn't ever watch COZI-TV at all.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:10 am

Thanks for the info, MasterB, which is all I was ever after in this thread. I, like you with COZI, was a non-viewer of SportsGrid.

We'll see if the 54.3-5 signals wind up presenting any time soon.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 pm

MasterB wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:46 pm
Stadium is owned by Sinclair which afternoon is just Live On The Line and College Hoops Live on a loop every hour.
Why do they even bother with a sports subchannel in the first place? Just about every sport has been called for by the cable channels, including Sinclair's own cable sports channels, which are on the verge of bankruptcy.

georgetownt

Post by georgetownt » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:53 pm

What do you recommend indoor or outdoor TV antenna? Blendon/Georgetown/Hudsonville area? Cut cable last month indoor one reaches only PBS Grit WXMI and 3 place holder channels 54 1 thru 3

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am

I got a "local special," which I believe was assembled by a broadcast engineer, (or procured by one, and came to me through Don Missad at Clear Channel) as the digital conversion took place in '09. It's a rooftop job, looks like what you would have found at Radio Shack back when, but with aerials pointed toward key transmitters. There was a time where I was pulling WCMU and WWTV in sporadic fashion but it was made for all the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo signals and has delivered same.

I am on what seems like a local high spot, by Pine Island and 7 Mile in Comstock Park.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:59 pm

georgetownt wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:53 pm
What do you recommend indoor or outdoor TV antenna? Blendon/Georgetown/Hudsonville area?
Not sure if they still sell them but during the analog to digital transition (analog ceased in 2009), I remember seeing at Gemmen's in Hudsonville a rooftop antenna that had multi-direction antennas mounted on the mast, intended for aiming in the various directions towards the three main areas that the broadcasters in this area have their towers.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:01 pm

tvbobn wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:54 am
If you're just trying start a trend, then go for it.

Calling something by a name that you just made up and then post it a broadcast blog makes you sound like you you don't really know what your posting about and that your posts aren't worth reading!
I like vanilla ice cream

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:40 pm

georgetownt wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:53 pm
What do you recommend indoor or outdoor TV antenna? Blendon/Georgetown/Hudsonville area? Cut cable last month indoor one reaches only PBS Grit WXMI and 3 place holder channels 54 1 thru 3
Hi GeorgetownT,

The first antenna I always suggest for around GR (including your area) is the ClearStream 2V, by Antennas Direct.

This is their older model, versus the ClearStream 2MAX that is in stock at some Best Buy Stores. But the older 2V has two key advantages: The "chicken wire-looking" reflector being included, and the straight dipole (~32 inches long...the widest part of the antenna) can be zip-tied to the mast, so as to face a different angle than the figure-8 portion with reflector.

Any antenna tried around GR needs to have at least one dipole ~32 inches across, since that receives the "High-VHF" TV signal wavelengths. Grand Rapids is one of a few markets to have 4 broadcasts on "High-VHF":
WWMT 3.x (CBS and subchannels)
WOOD 8.x (NBC and subchannels)
WZZM 13.x (ABC and subchannels)
WGVU 35.x (PBS with all their subchannels...transmits on what used to be analog channel 11, but tuners show as 35.1, 35.2, etc.)

Start by pointing any antenna you try toward the Gun Lake/Wayland area, as that's where most towers are located. It's usually WWMT 3.x (CBS) that's the most difficult one from that tower cluster to receive, so optimize for that.

Given you mentioned being near Hudsonville, an additional challenge may likely be WZZM 13.x (ABC), since their tower is near Grant. North from you versus how Gun Lake is primarily East. Some people decide to get by without WZZM, since WOTV 41.1 provides ABC...but WZZM has subchannels that may be of interest (13.4 Quest and 13.6 ThisTV come to mind).

Trophyhead and dwp49423 have both mentioned the "area special" antenna kits that provided 3 different aerials to point in the 3 different directions for most towers around GR. Those were especially needed leading up to the digital transition in 2009, as analog TV reception was prone to snow and ghosting if the aerial wasn't pointed directly at the tower, and also the digital transmissions were often at lower power from side-mounted tower transmitting antennas then. But since some power increases were completed in 2009 and 2010, and with WWMT no longer being transmitted on the frequency of analog 3, single smaller outdoor antennas can suffice. And for some, having the antenna inside above the TV, or in the attic of either the garage or house works okay.

Good luck! ~~ Cheers, Statmanmi

georgetownt

Post by georgetownt » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks Statmanmi!!!

HD74

Post by HD74 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:18 pm

Georgetown, go to TVFool.com. You can input your address and get a compass style map that shows what you should receive and what direction it's coming from. You can set the height of your antenna also.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

georgetownt

Post by georgetownt » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:28 pm

HD74 wrote:Georgetown, go to TVFool.com. You can input your address and get a compass style map that shows what you should receive and what direction it's coming from. You can set the height of your antenna also.
Thanks that was very helpful. Looks like my indoor maybe be just as good at an outdoor one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic