Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Latest Nielsen Audio numbers

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Latest Nielsen Audio numbers

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:53 am

Over the past two survey periods - nice gains for B93, Mix 95.7, Joy 99.3, and 96.1 the Game. WSNX is also showing considerable strength and is wiping the floor clean with WHTS.

Blunder hits a 2 share for the first time since moving to 107.3. Bear in mind the last full book for Nash at 94.5 was a 4.1 share.

Star 105.7 is underperforming, and 100.5 The River really shit the bed.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

ChrisWL1980

Re: Latest Nielsen Audio numbers

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:27 pm

I guess not many listeners were in the mood for Christmas music right after Halloween!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:23 pm

Possible. Bear in mind, though, that the displayed shares are rolling three survey averages.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:34 am

Has Star (265kW) ever been this far behind Joy 99, which is a Class A rimshot from Holland?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:58 pm

Never, to the best of my knowledge.

99.3 broadcasts from the tower along I-196 just northeast of the Byron Rd. exit, east of Zeeland.

99.3 and 105.7 are two stations that bounce around a lot in the ratings. 98.7 is another. I'm curious to see if 95.7's recent surge holds up.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:59 pm

I noticed that B-93 beat out WCSG and is number one in the market once again. What is really strange is that their
pseudo competition "Blunder Country" jumped to a 2% share while not taking anything away from B-93. While that
station is always the bottom feeder for Cumulus in G.R. both I-Heart and Town Square have their bottom feeders too.
I-Hearts 96.1 FM "The Game" with their sports format got only a 1.7% share. Town Square's "The River" dropped to a 2.5%
share and it could possibly be that they start their X-mas music too soon on or near Halloween and to me that's a turn
off. I still say that G.R. needs a format change at any of the bottom feeder stations. It's been over two years now when
101.3 FM flipped from "The Brew" to "The New Big 101.3 FM." I think after two years they should stop saying "The New ".
The only thing new about 101.3 is they added some hits from the year 1980 to their playlist of 60's and 70's oldies.
Their station is also a bottom feeder with only a 2.5% share. If they continue claiming that they play "Fun Hits" then I
still think that they should hire Tone "The Fun Guy" Gates for the afternoon drive because that Mike guy talks about all
kinds of things other than the music. For a brief period Tone did afternoons on WLAV. If I were in charge of I-Heart of
G.R. I would offer Tone a good salary because it would only make sense to have a fun guy play fun hits.
One other interesting thing to say is that Cumulus is trying to recruit listeners to WLAV to consider their silly sister
station "Blunder Country". If you ever listen to WLAV they talk about a guy named Bob who lost his wife, dog, and
truck and they recommend if your like Bob to consider switching to Blunder. I don't think most classic rockers that
listen to WLAV will actually consider this but it is an on air desperate plea with these promos to bring attention to
that bottom feeder station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:49 am

It makes a lot of sense to cross promote 107.3 on WLAV. Hell, I've even heard plugs for 107.3 on 94.5 (which makes less sense).

There is often decent cross cume between country and classic rock in rust belt cities.

100.5 The River has a 1.4, not a 2.5 share.

Mid 2's in 12+ might mean a 4 or 5 share in a station's target demo. It is not necessarily grounds for a format change. The bar is even lower for Sports, where higher ad rates per share point can often be commanded.

Now, if a music station on FM is down around, say, a 1.5 share frequently, then even in targeted demos, the AQH share is probably crappy, and a change is probably warranted.

tc

Post by tc » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:23 am

Greg Buben wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:59 pm
I noticed that B-93 beat out WCSG and is number one in the market once again. What is really strange is that their
pseudo competition "Blunder Country" jumped to a 2% share while not taking anything away from B-93. While that
station is always the bottom feeder for Cumulus in G.R. both I-Heart and Town Square have their bottom feeders too.
I-Hearts 96.1 FM "The Game" with their sports format got only a 1.7% share. Town Square's "The River" dropped to a 2.5%
share and it could possibly be that they start their X-mas music too soon on or near Halloween and to me that's a turn
off. I still say that G.R. needs a format change at any of the bottom feeder stations. It's been over two years now when
101.3 FM flipped from "The Brew" to "The New Big 101.3 FM." I think after two years they should stop saying "The New ".
The only thing new about 101.3 is they added some hits from the year 1980 to their playlist of 60's and 70's oldies.
Their station is also a bottom feeder with only a 2.5% share. If they continue claiming that they play "Fun Hits" then I
still think that they should hire Tone "The Fun Guy" Gates for the afternoon drive because that Mike guy talks about all
kinds of things other than the music. For a brief period Tone did afternoons on WLAV. If I were in charge of I-Heart of
G.R. I would offer Tone a good salary because it would only make sense to have a fun guy play fun hits.
One other interesting thing to say is that Cumulus is trying to recruit listeners to WLAV to consider their silly sister
station "Blunder Country". If you ever listen to WLAV they talk about a guy named Bob who lost his wife, dog, and
truck and they recommend if your like Bob to consider switching to Blunder. I don't think most classic rockers that
listen to WLAV will actually consider this but it is an on air desperate plea with these promos to bring attention to
You should try to use the term "bottom feeder" more.
Also, Iheart isn't likely to pay anybody "a good salary" to do afternoons at 101.3.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:26 pm

pay someone a good salary?

tc wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:23 am
Greg Buben wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:59 pm
You should try to use the term "bottom feeder" more.
Also, Iheart isn't likely to pay anybody "a good salary" to do afternoons at 101.3.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:37 am

Here's something to ponder:
How many listeners to 105.7 FM are writing "WOOD-FM" or "105.7 WOOD-FM" in their diaries?

Let's face it - some folks, perhaps many, from Gen X or older know 105.7 as WOOD-FM.

I wonder to what extent listenership that should be getting credited to 105.7 is instead getting credited to sister station 106.9?

format this

Post by format this » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Here's something to ponder:
How many listeners to 105.7 FM are writing "WOOD-FM" or "105.7 WOOD-FM" in their diaries?

Let's face it - some folks, perhaps many, from Gen X or older know 105.7 as WOOD-FM.

I wonder to what extent listenership that should be getting credited to 105.7 is instead getting credited to sister station 106.9?
This is why WQLR flipped its calls to WVFM. There was apparent confusion between Q-106.5 in Kalamazoo and Q-106 in Lansing, which continued long after the imaging flip to FM 106.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

tc

Post by tc » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:37 am
I think WSRW has been branding itself as "Star 105.7" for long enough that that would not be a factor.

iwndry1015

Post by iwndry1015 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:37 am

Out of curiousity, what would be a "good salary" for a West Michigan afternoon drive position? I've been out of radio for too many years to even have a reference.

Jeff Cunningham

Post by Jeff Cunningham » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:47 pm

The way radio is sounding like these days, I'd say around $9 an hour.

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:26 pm

And you would have to voice track two other stations for free as well as post interesting stories five times a week to “drive traffic to the website”.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic