Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WMPA now Strong Tower, 8 more to come

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
cckadlec

WMPA now Strong Tower, 8 more to come

Post by cckadlec » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:22 pm

This is somewhat old news, but also recent for those not paying close attention.

WMPA in Grand Haven switched to Strong Tower Radio on Friday.

They mention on their Facebook:

""The fingerprint of God" was on the transfer of the Grand Haven rock station to Strong Tower Radio Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. And "God must have a sense of humor" as evidenced by this transition.

Up to 3:59 p.m. rock and roll music played and the very first program to air was "Scott's Ritsema's "Media on the Brain" on the subject of rock music. The station engineers, not STR employees, chose the time of program feed change and the transition could not have been more appropriate to explain the difference between the old and new programs. We didn't plan this and directed to His purpose and glory!"

WMPA on their own now-inactive Facebook on March 21:

"#controlthenarrative

(I do see the irony of making this announcement when we have dead air.)

93 1 WMPA has been sold to West Central Michigan Media Ministries. The switch will be finalized later this spring.

The Classic Rock Cafe, In The Basement, and Jesse Bruce After Dark will be moving to 94.9 FM. We are trying to bring as much of the programming over as we can. 94.9 (AM 1370) will be a Classic Rock Station and will also be available on the Grand Haven Radio APP.
As soon as I have more info about the station name, and social media I will pass it along.

Thank you so much for your unparalleled support of 93 1 WMPA!

Same experience, just a different channel.

"We did it once, and we will do it again." JB"

The sale was originally reported back in March, though I don't believe it was mentioned anywhere because, of course, who was listening to WMPA to start with? They were on with classic rock for exactly 4 years (to the day I believe it was) though now the format moves to 94.9. The sale was to West Central Michigan Media Ministries (i.e., Strong Tower). If you look in FCC approved applications for the recent non-comm window, you can see this company has bought up other frequencies soon to fire up:

88.7 Owosso, 10kw
88.9 Coldwater, 1.1kw
88.9 Houghton, 25kw
89.1 Bridgman, 1kw
89.1 Norway, 3kw
89.7 Port Sanilac, 2kw
89.7 South Haven, 750w
89.9 Greenville, 25kw

Seems like Smile FM's situation almost, but anyone who has tuned into Strong Tower knows... booooringggg! But I digress.

I was finally able to record their TOH ID (same Strong Tower ID but updated). Yesterday and into this afternoon, I couldn't find it under WIMK, but finally got it during these storms now that things have calmed down. The signal sounds like sh*t, but then again, it did with classic rock too. Just doesn't sound very clear, almost a bit overmodulated. I can't put my finger on it. RDS on Sunday was still WMPA's original; I was tuning during the big E-skip opening and though originally a religious station from Wyoming overrode it, but... it persisted for hours and then showed WMPA RDS, so I had to wonder. Now I know.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

48125er

Re: WMPA now Strong Tower, 8 more to come

Post by 48125er » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 pm

does WBBN have any new applications?

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 pm

48125er wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 pm
does WBBN have any new applications?
I assume you mean BBN. I heard WBBN via Es from down south a few days ago. I don't believe any of the big national religious outlets have applications, approvals, or anything from the recent window. They are all small local outlets, though some may be using different companies to apply and all end up one station.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:56 pm

Yeah BBN.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic