Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Deltaplex Permanenty Closing in July 2022

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Jay2ThePee

Deltaplex Permanenty Closing in July 2022

Post by Jay2ThePee » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:59 pm

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local- ... on-july-31

It is with mixed emotions that I am announcing that the DeltaPlex will be closing and ceasing business as of July 31, 2022.

We have been impacted by many circumstances which were out of our control. The effect of the Covid virus on our community was devastating, and the mandated shutdown of our business for over 16 months created an extraordinary hardship. During that time, many of our expenses did not stop while we saw little to no income. The few events and facility use over that time were, for the most part, done without any expectation of rent and was done as part of our civic obligation to give back to our community during a difficult time.

Even though the past few years have been challenging, the decision to close has been difficult. Over the past 25 years, Lee Anne and I have been honored to come to know many wonderful people, many of which we now refer to as family. Our team of hard-working and loyal staff, many great clients, City of Walker and the West Michigan community have all worked alongside of us to build this business.

With that all being said, we are at a point in life where we feel it is time to move on to the next chapter. We have been humbled by the dedication of the many people around us and will be working with them to provide future opportunities.”

:arrow: :rollin

Sholmes

Re: Deltaplex Permanenty Closing in July 2022

Post by Sholmes » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:24 pm

Perhaps if they would have stayed out of politics and just stuck to entertaining they would still be open.

I went to a Shrine Circus there one time and found it to be more like a High School gym and the seats just ad uncomfortable

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:37 pm

I strongly doubt hosting political rallies had anything to do with the closure.

This is stunning and unwelcome news. I saw a number of great hard rock & metal concerts there through the years:
- Pantera
- Rob Zombie
- Static-X
- Godsmack
- Korn

...and some that I cannot recall off hand. :)

Always enjoyed great sound quality, reasonably priced beer, and good times at those shows.

I know some pop music, hip-hop and tejano acts rolled through there on occasion, too, but mostly - the venue was known for its rock concerts.

I also thought the Deltaplex made a decent basketball arena.

I wonder where the Grand Rapids Gold will play moving forward? A team capable of attracting a couple thousand fans a game would look silly playing at Van Andel; that would be a massive money losing proposition for the team. I suspect they will be moving to either Ford Fieldhouse or Van Noord Arena at Calvin College (which honestly is as good or better than some NCAA Division I basketball arenas).

I'd like to see the Gold play at Van Noord, personally. Looks like that may become reality, as WZZM offers the following clue:
Until a new facility is announced, the Gold will practice at Calvin College.
It sure sounds like Visser Brothers has little to no interest in keeping the building's existing use in place. I suspect they will look to redevelop the site for industrial use.

Jeff Cunningham

Post by Jeff Cunningham » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:44 pm

Sholmes wasn't talking about 'political events' at the venue.

Langlois is a MAGA clown who has posted incendiary things on his Facebook page and elsewhere. He recently posted that he couldn't wait until Dr. Fauci was arrested and sent to prison. He would also have enjoyed watching our governor get 'kidnapped'.

Blaming his woes entirely on the "pandemic shut-down" is par for the course.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:51 pm

Jeff Cunningham wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:44 pm
Sholmes wasn't talking about 'political events' at the venue.

Langlois is a MAGA clown who has posted incendiary things on his Facebook page and elsewhere. He recently posted that he couldn't wait until Dr. Fauci was arrested and sent to prison. He would also have enjoyed watching our governor get 'kidnapped'.

Strange.....we have posters who advocate the same sentiment here.

The censorship king from out of state.

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Jeff Cunningham wrote:Sholmes wasn't talking about 'political events' at the venue.

Exactly!!!

If they want to make it industrial, call the My Pillow Guy

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:57 pm

There likely are already plans for a distribution center for the site as it's fairly close to both US-131 and I-96.

Also, the Deltaplex wasn't doing so hot prior to the pandemic, especially after 20 Monroe Live opened and took a lot of the shows that would've gone there.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:23 am

Good point regarding 20 Monroe Live.
There likely are already plans for a distribution center for the site as it's fairly close to both US-131 and I-96.
I could certainly see an Amazon Distribution Center being built there. Interestingly enough, that is now what sits on the site of the former Silverdome and on the site of the former Hazel Park Raceway.

The interesting part of this story to me is the fact the real estate was sold last December, and I don't recall seeing any news reports about it.

Freeway access is decent. One has to drive about a mile down Turner Ave to access US 131 from Ann Street or about two miles northeast to access US 131 from West River Drive. Hillside Drive provides access to Alpine Ave; from there, an interchange with I-96 is a short drive north.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:49 pm

Slayer and Motorhead played a concert at the old Stadium Arena on November 10, 1988.

I am highly, highly envious of anyone who was fortunate enough to attend that show!👹

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:49 pm
Slayer and Motorhead played a concert at the old Stadium Arena on November 10, 1988.

I am highly, highly envious of anyone who was fortunate enough to attend that show!👹
Damn......Stadium Arena.....almost forgot about that place! I was working at WLAV-AM doing a promo one night for the Grand Rapids Owls and got to announce the final score of the 1980 Olympic hockey game between US and USSR. Far and away, the greatest reaction I've ever had to any of my spoken words.

BTW, could there be a dumber name for a venue than "Stadium Arena"?!?

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:29 pm

Definitely agree regarding the name. :)

During the Stadium Arena days, I remember seeing the Shrine Circus there, and as I grew slightly older, seeing the WWF there. I remember seeing Demolition defeat the tag team of Andre the Giant and Haku for the world tag team titles. (Andre and Haku regained the titles at the next house show, probably in Detroit or Toledo, a night or two later.)

Coming home from the rasslin' show, I remember it snowing like hell. Unfortunately, still had to go to school the next day.

My mom informed me she & my dad took me to see Sesame Street Live there when I was probably four years old.

I remember the postage stamp sized concession areas beneath the grandstand, wooden box seats, and arcing wooden roof of the old barn. On the outside, the entire wooden roof was covered in the most hideous looking - albeit durable - shingles I had ever seen. I also remember the massive steel superstructure poking up through the middle of the building.

The signage of the front of the building during the Stadium Arena days was bizarre. Each letter in the word "STADIUM" was painted one by one in italicized font on protruding blocks on the front facia of the building, then the entire word "ARENA" was spelled diagonally in much smaller typeface on just one block. The signage lacked illumination, at least during the 90s.

There are stunningly few photos of the old building (pre rebuild) floating around on the internet; they are nearly impossible to find.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Mon May 02, 2022 12:30 pm

Don't feel too bad for the guy. 5.5 MIL. Blaming the Pandemic is likely just an convienent excuse as his politics are clearly aimed at that view. At least the MAGA and My Pillow rallies won't be here this fall during election season.

GR is due for another DP size venue - maybe we'll get a new (and nicer one) in the future and possibly with ownership that isn't quite so partisan.

This building does have a ton of history, that's for sure!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 02, 2022 1:26 pm

It cost $6 million to renovate in the late 90s, as I recall.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon May 02, 2022 2:30 pm

Wherever that $6M renovation went ^^^^^^, I guarantee you not a penny was spent on new carpeting outside the main arena. Sodden and stinky, in my recollection.

Was ringside for the West Michigan Golden Gloves matches Saturday, got to make a sentimental visit, for which I was thankful.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Tue May 03, 2022 1:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 1:26 pm
It cost $6 million to renovate in the late 90s, as I recall.
That much just to make the place look like a warehouse from the outside? That's one of the ugliest arena buildings I've ever seen.

Any conversion to actual warehouse or industrial use there is likely to result in a visual upgrade to the site.

Also, the name "Deltaplex" made it sound like some convention center in Escanaba (the county seat of Delta County).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic