Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Weather Center Being Built at WOOD TV 8.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
EricGRR

New Weather Center Being Built at WOOD TV 8.

Post by EricGRR » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Saw a promo on Ellen Barca’s FB page stating they are building a new tracking center. If I recall correctly the current weather center was built in 2008 or 2009 a year or two before Craig James retired.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: New Weather Center Being Built at WOOD TV 8.

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:24 pm

Eventually, the news room and news set will be in broom closets so that the Storm Team 8 Tracking Center can occupy the rest of the floor. 😜

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:24 pm
Eventually, the news room and news set will be in broom closets so that the Storm Team 8 Tracking Center can occupy the rest of the floor. 😜
Nah, they're just gonna do the opposite of 13. The tracking center will take up the entire studio space while the anchor desk gets moved outside to the "News Deck."

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:59 am

Do they still have the news set at the Public Museum? They could move over there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

EricGRR

Post by EricGRR » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:24 pm
You could be on to something. Analysis shows most people tune into local news nowadays primarily for the weather forecast. Weather drives ratings in most markets.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 am

Sholmes wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:59 am
Do they still have the news set at the Public Museum? They could move over there.

Yes, it's actually at the Art Museum, the Public Museum is on the other side of the river. That space is VERY small - not a whole lot you could really do with it unless you covered up all the windows, which would negate the point of having it there in the first place :)

EricGRR

Post by EricGRR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Here it is! It will debut Monday evening.

https://www.woodtv.com/dont-miss/storm- ... er-center/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:39 pm

Looks very sleek, modern and big!

I suppose it's the rest of the news room that's been pushed into a broom closet. :)

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:52 pm

I guess they were going for the opposite of the look in Bill Steffen's house (which I liked for that retro-TV vibe). It looks nice.

It also makes me think of buying a big screen TV at Best Buy, with the available models on the wall, and the workstation as the check-out area.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:03 pm

LOL - it does indeed look like a TV display wall at a big box store, doesn't it?

My advice for all area weather departments:

Don't wait for the dopey National Weather Service office at the airport to issue tornado warnings to break into programming if you see tell tale signatures of a tornado (such as a debris ball) on radar.

You all have spent a TON of money on state of the art technology (except for WXMI perhaps)...use it!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:53 pm

That is a H*** weather center I like it a lot.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

format this

Post by format this » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:LOL - it does indeed look like a TV display wall at a big box store, doesn't it?

Don't wait for the dopey National Weather Service office at the airport to issue tornado warnings to break into programming if you see tell tale signatures of a tornado (such as a debris ball) on radar.

You all have spent a TON of money on state of the art technology (except for WXMI perhaps)...use it!
M-Dubs, IIRC, some time ago WOOD-DT broke in showing rotation in a thunderstorm that had not gone severe (NWS) and 5 minutes later, a tornado warning was issued. So, sometimes you get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

EricGRR

Post by EricGRR » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:03 pm
LOL - it does indeed look like a TV display wall at a big box store, doesn't it?

WOOD TV has broke in several times over the past 5 years noting a storm was rotating… on at least 3 occasions the National Weather Service issued a warning a few minutes later.

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Ellen did mention on twitter that it was sleek and she liked the design. It looks nice, now WZZM should step up their game and update their weather center.

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:08 am

Honolulublue4life wrote:Ellen did mention on twitter that it was sleek and she liked the design. It looks nice, now WZZM should step up their game and update their weather center.
I really do not see them taking a wrecking ball to the precious Weather Deck and Weather Ball.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic