Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nick LaFave Departs WZZM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

Nick LaFave Departs WZZM

Post by Localnewsisdead » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:58 am

Here is his announcement via Facebook:

IT'S TIME TO SAY GOODBYE

I won’t bury the lede: today is my last day with 13 On Your Side. My contract has expired. I've made the decision to leave the station. And after 20 years in the industry, I’m leaving television journalism. I'm doing so for my family.

When I came to WZZM in 2014, I fully expected I would one day retire from this station. While I was here, I gave this place everything I had and was rewarded with some of my proudest professional successes. I was twice nominated for the Best Anchor Emmy in Michigan. A third year, I won the Michigan Association of Broadcasters Award for Best Anchor. The best work of my career happened here. What also happened here, however, were the births of my two children and the death of my father.

The hours required to succeed in this job no longer allow me to be the husband and dad my family needs me to be (and that I want to be). If I anchor the 11pm news, my wife is a single mother at night. If I only anchor the 5 and 6pm news I still don’t get home until 7pm, which is basically bedtime. I simply do not see my kids enough. Originally, I told myself that things would get better when they got older. But when my dad died, I realized I couldn’t wait for things to get better. I need to be more present in my children’s lives NOW. None of us are on this rock hurtling through space very long. I want to spend more of the undetermined yet limited time I have with the people who mean the most to me.

At the end of two decades in TV news, I have no animus. I have no regret. I have only gratitude. (Now comes the ‘thank you’ section) First, to you – the people who chose to watch me night after night and communicate with me on this page day after day. To Jim Harmon in Missoula, Montana who gave me my first job out of college. To the late Dennis Carlson who taught me how to cover tragedy with compassion. To Kevin Ragan who brought me home to Michigan (the first time). To Julie Moravchik who convinced me going to a startup station in Duluth, Minnesota was a good idea (clearly it was. I met my wife there!). To Chris Huston who brought a northern boy down south for a few years where I met some now-lifelong friends. To Taz Painter who brought me home to Michigan (the second time). To Julie Flynn and Dan Baylog who are wishing me well as I start my next chapter.

My next chapter will be in another state, closer to friends and family. My wife and I will finally have the support network we need to help raise our children. And I’ll finally be able to watch the Red Wings on ESPN+ without it being blacked out!

I've never wanted to make things about me (I rarely post selfies). Because - cliché to say - it’s never been about me. To be honest it’s never been about you, the viewer, either. It’s been FOR you. But what it’s really been about is the truth. Seeking and sharing the truths of the people in power, the issues that affect you, and the realities of the human condition. I’ve done that to the best of my ability. I hope I succeeded somewhere along the way.

I still love this job. It’s the only non-governmental job mentioned in the Constitution, by the way. And it’s protected in the very first of the Amendments. Thomas Jefferson said, “Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost." The problem is that we in the Free Press have been limiting ourselves. There are far too few of us left to go to city council meetings, school board meetings, digging into what elected officials are doing behind the scenes – which was the original intent of the Fourth Estate. Those who are left are overworked and underpaid (and we are all the poorer for it). These journalists are the true defenders of democracy; not the teleprompter readers like me, who – while we still do some great storytelling – are generally not the ones exposing the goings on of government. We need more on-the-ground reporters pressing politicians and sifting through FOIA requests. And for the hours they work and the abuse they now take we need to pay them better. But this is no longer my battle.

I’ll miss this job. I’ll miss my station and my coworkers. I’ll miss meeting the people of our community and telling their stories. But this industry and station will all be just fine without me. My wife and children would not be. Nor would I be without them.

I’d like to file one last report. It’s a single quote from my late father. It’s what he said to me whenever I would go to him with a problem or seeking advice… and I’d like to pass on to all of you: “Don’t worry. We’ll figure it out.”

Again, I cannot thank you enough. Be well and be kind.

- Nick

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

moldyoldie

Re: Nick LaFave Departs WZZM

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 am

Marvelously written and sincere! Though I don't know him, or even of him, I wish him the best.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 am

I certainly share his sentiments regarding the decline of investigative journalism.

I wish him well in his forthcoming endeavors.

Was unaware he worked in Michigan earlier in his career, btw.

The startup in Duluth, I presume, is Fox 21?

Blister

Post by Blister » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:16 am

Kind of commonplace to acknowledge and thank your co-anchor. Did I miss something?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 am

Interesting point!
He also did not mention the current ND, did he?

Jay2ThePee

Post by Jay2ThePee » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Good luck Nick. I really enjoyed that goodbye as it was articulate and honest. As a father, I appreciate what he said about his wife and kids most.

:arrow: :rollin

oldnewsguy

Post by oldnewsguy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:32 am

Well-spoken, and smart decision. After God, comes family, and you do not want to miss that. Have an AMAZING LIFE with your dear family.

Home of the FREE, because of the BRAVE!

Doktor No

Post by Doktor No » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:26 pm

Well said and well played Mr. Lafave. Farwell and goodbye. Enjoy!
Good grief, who is next at WZZM to leave?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:09 am

All the best to Nick even know I didn't watch WZZM.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

gotigers

Post by gotigers » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 am

Was unaware he worked in Michigan earlier in his career, btw.
He was at WILX in Lansing for a few years in the mid-2000s.Weekend anchor and weekday reporter. I've been in the Kalamazoo area for 5+ years now and didn't even know he was over here. Shows how much I watch 13.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic