Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'll give Cumulus credit for one thing...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I'll give Cumulus credit for one thing...

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:16 pm

WLAV and WHTS both have impressive range up north!

Was able to pick up WLAV readably in the Baldwin area, even when DX conditions were at or near zero.

WHTS came in clear as a bell, by far the best signal of the G.R. and Muskegon area stations save for 90.3 WBLV.

Heading east on U.S. 10, signal was decent near Evart when I checked (minor picket fencing) and still listenable several miles into Clare County!

WOOD-FM, still at reduced power, was perfectly listenable in the car in and around Baldwin, even locking in on seek mode occasionally, but definitely not quite as strong as usual. This made reception of Cadillac's 107.1 WCKC much easier than normal.

Several Muskegon area signals overachieve in the region, including WGVS-FM and WMRR. Was truly surprised by how strong 95.3 was near the Lake and Newaygo border.

WSNX seemed a little weaker than normal up that way. Barely stronger than 106.9 or 101.7 in the car.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Kennelly Heaviside

Re: I'll give Cumulus credit for one thing...

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:10 pm

Signal range has more to do with the local signal milieu, stations and translators.

In the case of WBCT, the station in Harrietta, WKAD, limits it in areas formerly receiving fringe service. Keep in mind that WBCT would not be allowed any more than 50 kw/150 meters if it had been authorized today or the last 60 years for that matter. That would have limited where the TL could have been located, much closer to Grand Rapids, which would have precluded WKAD in Harrietta. The Frankenmuth facility, WRCL, would have been allowed because it would be about the same distance. Same with WVGR, which would have precluded WBZX in Big Rapids. WSRW would preclude WHTS from closer to Grand Rapids. Every situation is different.

Back about 1980, it was determined that not a single Grand Rapids Area station would have been allowed under rules in force at that time, for a new station or allotment. Many of those were short spaced, authorized under older rules.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:53 pm

107.3 is the best range east, I can get that easily to Okemos.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:03 am

The only thing Cumulus does right in Grand Rapids is WLAV with Classic Rock and that's only because nobody gives "LAV
any real competition. The other stations in G.R. suck and the ratings clearly demonstrate that. As I said before their silly
"Thunder Country" at 107.3 FM is the first station of theirs that I would flip immediately. There's so much you could do with
a 50,000 watt station such as 107.3 FM but trying to be like B-93 with fewer commercials isn't bringing them success and
it never will. If anybody wants to hear the modern major label country hits of the 2000's B-93 still has that audience in
the Grand Rapids area which is defined as Kent and Ottawa Counties. How long will Cumulus continue their fantasy that
they can defeat B-93?

tc

Post by tc » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:09 am

Kennelly Heaviside wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:10 pm
Signal range has more to do with the local signal milieu, stations and translators.

In the case of WBCT, the station in Harrietta, WKAD, limits it in areas formerly receiving fringe service. Keep in mind that WBCT would not be allowed any more than 50 kw/150 meters if it had been authorized today or the last 60 years for that matter. That would have limited where the TL could have been located, much closer to Grand Rapids, which would have precluded WKAD in Harrietta. The Frankenmuth facility, WRCL, would have been allowed because it would be about the same distance. Same with WVGR, which would have precluded WBZX in Big Rapids. WSRW would preclude WHTS from closer to Grand Rapids. Every situation is different.

Back about 1980, it was determined that not a single Grand Rapids Area station would have been allowed under rules in force at that time, for a new station or allotment. Many of those were short spaced, authorized under older rules.
Interesting, appreciate the info Kennelly.

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:29 pm

48125er wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:53 pm
107.3 is the best range east, I can get that easily to Okemos.
I always wondered why they just didn't put the AAA format on that signal with a straight flip from BBL? Why all the signal swapping to get a two-share AAA on the air? Even though Nash wasn't doing great, it easily outperformed the Thunder 2.0 disaster now on the air, no reason for the frequency flip if you're keeping the format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:59 pm

I agree completely.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic