Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WXMI Fox 17 Job opening for Meteorologist.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Thunderstorm

WXMI Fox 17 Job opening for Meteorologist.

Post by Thunderstorm » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 am

Fox 17, has a job opening for a meteorologist.

I wonder if Laura Velasquez left? Do not see her name listed on Fox 17 On-Air Staff page.

The E.W. Scripps news station FOX 17 West Michigan (WXMI) is looking for a Meteorologist to join the weather team. Based in Grand Rapids, MI, this Meteorologist is responsible for analyzing meteorological data gathered by satellites and radar to prepare reports and forecasts for the viewers in the region. A solid understanding of lake effect snow is beneficial. The meteorologist must have a strong understanding and engagement on digital and social media platforms. This position will involve work on the weekend.

WHAT YOU'LL DO:
-Interpret and analyze weather data to create local forecasts
-Report information “live” in scheduled newscasts, during unscheduled cut-ins, on-line and on social media as needed
-Develop graphics and presentation of weather information
-Report on a variety of subjects and write stories for broadcasts and sweeps pieces
-Participate in certain aspects of newscast anchoring including some copy delivery and interviewing

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
-Bachelors degree in Meteorology
-1 to 3 years experience

WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
-Thorough knowledge of weather data interpretation and forecasting
-Ability to deliver weather information in a concise and understandable way
-Ability to create computer generated graphics
-Computer literate, including newsroom computer systems
-Proficient at posting content to various platforms
-Strong organizational, time management and problem solving skills
-Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
-Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.

WORK ENVIRONMENT:
-In Studio
-In field for remote broadcasts, reporting
-Participate in community outreach projects

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WXMI Fox 17 Job opening for Meteorologist.

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:49 am

Damn - only 1 to 3 years' experience required?

This has CHEAP written all over it!

Typical Scripps. It is embarrassing how many talented people have left since Scripps stepped into ownership at WXMI. The new morning anchor team is fucking awful. I have a feeling November sweeps are going to be a DISASTER for WXMI.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 am

I was watching 17 over the weekend and Laura announced she was leaving the station and thanked West Michigan for inviting her into their lives.

EricGRR

Post by EricGRR » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm

originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:26 am
I was watching 17 over the weekend and Laura announced she was leaving the station and thanked West Michigan for inviting her into their lives.
Wow… she’s only been there 8 months.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 am

Damn 8 months I wonder if Laura is done with the TV business. I saw Haleigh was on tonight I wonder if she will be bumped up or if this is just fill-in when they hire a new weather met?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm

EricGRR wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm
originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Hmmm, okay if I throw out a speculation regarding her next employer?

The upcoming Oct. 25th launch of Fox Weather (website foxweather.com, recent press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... tober-25th ) has been hiring up meteorologists from across the nation.

Her 4+ years at AccuWeather (until they laid her off) doing on-screen work going to a national audience would seem like a very good fit for their team. And maybe there'd be some "network courtesy" extended, regarding releasing her from our local Fox affiliate only 8 months after starting, if indeed she's headed to the Big Apple, or at least being part of their fulltime staff.

I'm probably wrong with this speculation, but hey, we have fun with such things here on MIBuzzboard sometimes, right?

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am

statmanmi wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm
EricGRR wrote:
originalzzmfmjock wrote:

The upcoming Oct. 25th launch of Fox Weather (website foxweather.com, recent press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... tober-25th ) has been hiring up meteorologists from across the nation.

Her 4+ years at AccuWeather (until they laid her off) doing on-screen work going to a national audience would seem like a very good fit for their team. And maybe there'd be some "network courtesy" extended, regarding releasing her from our local Fox affiliate only 8 months after starting, if indeed she's headed to the Big Apple, or at least being part of their fulltime staff.

I'm probably wrong with this speculation, but hey, we have fun with such things here on MIBuzzboard sometimes, right?

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
Not outrageous speculation, but sources say she was none the team player when coming on board with the hours/shifts she was given at 17. Not sure being the newbie once again would be her priority. If she is anything like the trend of this dying industry, she is smart and got out when a good "regular" job opened. My money is on the GR Airport Comms job like another former 17er.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:23 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am
statmanmi wrote:
EricGRR wrote:
originalzzmfmjock wrote:

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
Not outrageous speculation, but sources say she was none the team player when coming on board with the hours/shifts she was given at 17. Not sure being the newbie once again would be her priority. If she is anything like the trend of this dying industry, she is smart and got out when a good "regular" job opened. My money is on the GR Airport Comms job like another former 17er.
Are "sources" saying she was getting better hours/shifts than the current staff and they were chawed off about that because she's the new kid on the block? I'd forgotten what a kindergarten your typical newsroom is. I guess FOX17 would be the first TV station on the planet where name recognition isn't at least as important than tenure served. It wasn't as if Velasquez rolled in without already having something of a name in the market. Geez, it was probably a factor in why they hired her.

You're right that getting out entirely, particularly if things over there are as screwed up as it appears, is probably the smart thing to do.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:23 pm
inmyopinion wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am
statmanmi wrote:
EricGRR wrote:
originalzzmfmjock wrote:

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
Are "sources" saying she was getting better hours/shifts than the current staff and they were chawed off about that because she's the new kid on the block? I'd forgotten what a kindergarten your typical newsroom is. I guess FOX17 would be the first TV station on the planet where name recognition isn't at least as important than tenure served. It wasn't as if Velasquez rolled in without already having something of a name in the market. Geez, it was probably a factor in why they hired her.

You're right that getting out entirely, particularly if things over there are as screwed up as it appears, is probably the smart thing to do.
Nope, she worked Friday and Saturday nights, not sure how that is "better shift than the current staff". Same sources WERE however chaffed at the number of weekends she requested off as someone who was..you know...hired to do weekends. As for "name recognition", you are preaching to the choir, I was a fan and expected her to be Chief sooner than later, but would love to hear what shifts she had "better".

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:07 pm

I will not miss her squeaky little voice.

WMnewslover

Post by WMnewslover » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:30 am

Not surprised Laura is jumping ship. She has bigger aspirations than local GR tv. I think the Accu-Weather incident cut her to her core, that’s the kind of job she wants. Her style is a little off putting to watch. She knows her stuff for sure but it’s kinda annoying to listen to her.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:50 am

I was surprised Laura left KDVR for ACCU-Weather after only being in Denver for a year. Even know Laura's bio is gone type in Laura's full name her bio does pop up which I thought when it is scrubbed from the staff page that bio is gone?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic