Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

GRD/LAV identity crisis

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
RockerTim

GRD/LAV identity crisis

Post by RockerTim » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Listening to the radio about 2pm today. Flipping through the stations, I hit LAV - they are playing the Stone Temple Pilots, I think it was Interstate Love Song. Didn't feel like that song, so I hit GRD - they are playing Lynyrd Skynyrd, can't remember which song. Don't get me wrong - I love both bands. I just don't understand why the bands were being played on the stations that were playing them. I actually hit the buttons again and looked at the display to double check what I thought was happening. My dad is a classic rock/LAV guy since LAV began and I was a little kid. I can safely say he would change the channel on STP. I really would think, and myself included - if someone is listening to GRD, Skynyrd isn't what they are hoping to hear and the channel gets changed.
Sad thing is, the early STP stuff is old enough to not be out of place based on age. The style just doesn't fit in with LAV/classic rock in my mind.
And seriously, why does anyone at GRD think they need to play any classic rock at all? I will say there is plenty of current/new rock out there. I would be happy if they would have been the ones playing STP, especially if they would dig a little deeper into the catalog.
Why can't GRD throw in some current local rock?
If GRD wants to play classic rock, maybe they should do it a just few times a day and call it a tribute to our rock and roll forefathers and tie it to someone current somehow? Classic rock has no place on GRD in my opinion. It is a waste of air time for something current. Or, stick to what would have been considered new rock or alternative 25 years ago.
Thank you, rant over.

ChrisWL1980

Re: GRD/LAV identity crisis

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:16 pm

The Townsquare stations are all using corporate playlists now. Frankly all of their stations have sounded like crap since Tom Cook left.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:52 am

90's rock - especially grunge - has a place on classic rock radio in the year 2021.

I have no issue at all with WLAV playing STP, although I would've preferred a different song than Interstate Love Song, a track that got burnt to a crisp on rock radio & Hot AC radio through the years. (At least you didn't hear Plush; that song sucks.)

I largely agree with your comments regarding WGRD, albeit not entirely.

I haven't listened to WGRD online in over six months' time. The station is so incredibly boring and tame and takes almost zero chances on new music these days. I think there is a place for artists such as Ozzy, AC/DC, definitely Metallica, definitely Red Hot Chili Peppers, the big grunge bands of the 90s, and a very occasional 80's hair band, Def Leppard or Van Halen track, but the station is playing too much of that stuff (and even too much 70's stuff) these days.

WGRD has become the poster child for boring corporate rock radio.

Sirius XM is so...much...better.

As bad as WGRD sounds these days, I think sister station Banana 101.5 might sound even worse.

WGRD was already starting to sound like shit, music wise, when Tom Cook was there. WLHT's issue is that the Hot AC format in general has sounded lame for a few years now; that's a problem for all stations in the format (some have weathered through it better than others). They also took a while to get their morning plans in order following Connie's passing.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:52 am
90's rock - especially grunge - has a place on classic rock radio in the year 2021.

I have no issue at all with WLAV playing STP, although I would've preferred a different song than Interstate Love Song, a track that got burnt to a crisp on rock radio & Hot AC radio through the years. (At least you didn't hear Plush; that song sucks.)

I largely agree with your comments regarding WGRD, albeit not entirely.

I haven't listened to WGRD online in over six months' time. The station is so incredibly boring and tame and takes almost zero chances on new music these days. I think there is a place for artists such as Ozzy, AC/DC, definitely Metallica, definitely Red Hot Chili Peppers, the big grunge bands of the 90s, and a very occasional 80's hair band, Def Leppard or Van Halen track, but the station is playing too much of that stuff (and even too much 70's stuff) these days.

WGRD has become the poster child for boring corporate rock radio.

Sirius XM is so...much...better.

As bad as WGRD sounds these days, I think sister station Banana 101.5 might sound even worse.

WGRD was already starting to sound like shit, music wise, when Tom Cook was there. WLHT's issue is that the Hot AC format in general has sounded lame for a few years now; that's a problem for all stations in the format (some have weathered through it better than others). They also took a while to get their morning plans in order following Connie's passing.
I couldn’t agree more.

I used to look forward to going home to Bay City and being able to listen to Banana 101.5 down there, as I can’t hear it where I currently live. No more. Their playlist now just frankly sucks. If I want to hear Led Zeppelin or the Doors, I will put it on a classic rock station. It seems so damn out of place on the active rock station.

I go to Grand Rapids at least once a month. It is a constant button pushing battle where I am switching between GRD and LAV. I don’t like all the out of place classic rock on GRD. I also take into consideration that most decent classic rock stations have now mixed in 90s rock music. I hear it on Wheels 104.5 in Saginaw a lot, along with Thunder Rock 100.7 out of Oscoda. The diversity actually breaks up the monotony of burned out classic rock tracks

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:52 pm

Q106 out of Lansing is a 100x better than GRD, WRIF, or Banana when it comes to music.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:52 pm
Q106 out of Lansing is a 100x better than GRD, WRIF, or Banana when it comes to music.
👍👍

By the way, I just heard Nirvana‘s smells like teen Spirit on Z93. I can’t help but crank it up even though the song is 30 years old. No wonder I wear hearing aids LOL I’ve also heard those on classic rock stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic