Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WCSG is new #1 radio station (AQH share) in April Nielsen survey

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WCSG is new #1 radio station (AQH share) in April Nielsen survey

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 28, 2021 6:58 pm

This might be a new all-time record high for 91.3 WCSG:
An 8.4 share !!!

WCSG's success appears to be coming largely at the expense of Star 105.7, who posted a disappointing 3.1 share.

In other news:
- B93 had a nice recovery
- Thunder 107.3 continues to be post obnoxiously poor numbers
- Big 101.3 has shown zero growth
- Joy 99.3 continues to post healthy numbers despite signal limitations.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Mega Hertz

Re: WCSG is new #1 radio station (AQH share) in April Nielsen survey

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 28, 2021 8:45 pm

In other other news:

Nothing will change. Same survey next month.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

option1

Post by option1 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:05 pm

WCSG and WJQK total an 11 share making Christian CHR the dominant format in GR. Even when you combine SNX, Lite, and Hot with their total 12 share it’s obvious where listener loyalty is musically at this stage of the market.

Is it diary placement or has the market shifted based on other factors? Chime in...

bosco

Post by bosco » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm

>"Chime in..."

I am a 50 year veteran of radio in this market. I was privileged to work with Bruce Grant, Tom Quain, Bill Stryk, Uncle Buck, Doc Donavon, Arris Hampers, Andy Rent, Dennis Sutton, dozens more and then finishing up 23 years at WCSG.

Why are WCSG and WJQ and WVGR winning?

Really Simple. At the big three clusters downtown. No one is left. No one left to care.

WCSG has two announcers on the morning show, mid-day and afternoon drive. WJQ runs really close. WVGR has, what, 3 or 4 full time news folks in GR?

If you stopped into the big 3 downtown at 1 pm, how many folks would you find on the air, live?

So those three non-comms get to clean up. That and all three run really really good radio stations.

No one is left to care.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 pm

bosco wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm
>"Chime in..."

Why are WCSG and WJQ and WVGR winning?

Really Simple. At the big three clusters downtown. No one is left. No one left to care.

WCSG has two announcers on the morning show, mid-day and afternoon drive. WJQ runs really close. WVGR has, what, 3 or 4 full time news folks in GR?

If you stopped into the big 3 downtown at 1 pm, how many folks would you find on the air, live?

So those three non-comms get to clean up. That and all three run really really good radio stations.

No one is left to care.
I've been pointing this out for YEARS now and we could see it coming. The "Big 3" and their stations have totally gutted any local (or even any good reason) for people to listen or care....have very little connection to the community, to the listener, no live talent outside mornings (and even that is dwindling) and bloated with commercials. There is just no compelling reason anyone would even care about them. You can find the music anywhere. I suspect this trend will continue and the Non-Coms with real people will continue to gain traction.

This goes back to the idea that IF the big boys were to sell and the stations would be back in local control with an airstaff, local presence, LIVE radio could they actually be relevant? Possibly. Might be too late - but based on the Non-Coms, maybe not. Interesting idea, but does not seem likely.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:36 pm

My mother is in her 60's and 101.3 is her favorite station at the moment.

Just thought I'd share that empirical example of the group to whom 101.3's format appeals. She also stuck with Oldies 107.3 WODJ to the very end.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:36 pm
My mother is in her 60's and 101.3 is her favorite station at the moment.

Just thought I'd share that empirical example of the group to whom 101.3's format appeals. She also stuck with Oldies 107.3 WODJ to the very end.
My father in his late 60s listens to it on occasion, his favorite local station is 94.9/99.5 Jethro fm only when he takes the truck which is a 1998 he usually listens to Siriusxm in his car my mom almost always listens to 104.1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic