Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Laura Hartman Leaving WZZM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
inmyopinion

Re: Laura Hartman Leaving WZZM

Post by inmyopinion » Mon May 31, 2021 8:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:29 pm
I think George does a rock solid job at 13.

In terms of no one "stealing" him, where else would he go locally? WOOD, where he'd effectively be demoted? WWMT, where he'd have to drive an hour to get to work? WXMI, which likely has lower ratings in evening news and late evening news than 13 and has been a revolving door?

My guess is WZZM treats George and people like Juliet Dragos very well.
The point was/is Craig James was wanted and stolen, as was Steffen, as was Holly Vogel, as was Kopecek. George has remained there, but to his credit, clearly paid his dues to get the chief job.

Pot it up

Post by Pot it up » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:04 pm

Yes, George and Juliet are probably "treated well" in terms of being relatively well paid. But they will be the last to enjoy that. Management cut Laura's pay, so she cut out. Best wishes to her.

Pot it up

Post by Pot it up » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Yes, George and Juliet are the last of the people paid decently at ZZM. They cut Laura's pay, so, wisely, she left.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:08 am

The point was/is Craig James was wanted and stolen, as was Steffen, as was Holly Vogel, as was Kopecek. George has remained there, but to his credit, clearly paid his dues to get the chief job.
Steffen was at WZZM for, what, 20+ years? It's not as if his tenure there was brief. I do agree that WZZM should've worked much harder to try to keep him there.

Vogel left to return to Metro Detroit and work in a much larger market. Did you expect ZZM to demote Lessens so it could promote Vogel?

Kopecek is a good forecaster but is bland.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 am

Pot it up wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:31 pm
Yes, George and Juliet are the last of the people paid decently at ZZM. They cut Laura's pay, so, wisely, she left.
Cut her pay? I have heard of cutting the pay of the top talent, and while I don't always agree, I understand. But cutting the pay of the #2 (or #3?) meteorologist too? And this is after mandatory furloughs right? I understand we had a once in a lifetime pandemic, but pretty sure no other stations are doing this. That weather ball must be racking up quite the power bill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic