Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The updated sound of 103.3 WKFR

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The updated sound of 103.3 WKFR

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:39 am

I'll start with the good - I think pivoting to pure CHR/Pop is probably a good move. With WVFM out of the picture as a Mainstream AC, WKFR doesn't have to be quite as protective of its older end (35+, let's say) as it once was. Moreover, current and recurrent material for Hot AC is wearing thin with the audience. Look no further than the slipping ratings of stations such as KBIG in Los Angeles, WDVD in Detroit and WLHT in Grand Rapids for proof of that.

CHR/Pop was in the doldrums, too, with regard to new music for much of 2020, but there are signs of a rebound.

Moving the very talented Dave Benson to WRKR helped the open door for an updating of WKFR, in my opinion.

The last time WKFR was pure CHR, which didn't last long thanks to interference from Cumulus corporate, I believe it scored a 14 share in Kalamazoo County in ages 12+.

Neutral - the voiceover talent. Is that Billy Bush doing the "male" reads? He certainly doesn't sound bad, but his reads do not sound particularly intriguing, either. At least WKFR isn't using the abrasively voiced 1990-esque puker that 105.3 Hot FM in Grand Rapids uses!

I've not had a chance to listen to the weekday air talent.

Will a Kalamazoo-based FM give Adult Contemporary a try, or will all of the local stations cede the format to out-of-market stations, as is the case with Country?

With Nielsen changing listing rules this spring, we'll start to see Grand Rapids stations being listed in publicly published Nielsen 12+ results later this year. Would not surprise me to see Star 105.7 finish in the top 5.

Michigan Media

Re: The updated sound of 103.3 WKFR

Post by Michigan Media » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:39 am
Will a Kalamazoo-based FM give Adult Contemporary a try, or will all of the local stations cede the format to out-of-market stations, as is the case with Country?

With Nielsen changing listing rules this spring, we'll start to see Grand Rapids stations being listed in publicly published Nielsen 12+ results later this year. Would not surprise me to see Star 105.7 finish in the top 5.
Townsquare in Kalamazoo is probably taking a wait and see approach. Launching an Adult Contemporary format on 102.5 would make a lot of sense. It would pair well with WKFR's mainstream CHR format. The current Classic Hits format on 102.5 is not exactly setting the world on fire.

I do not see the Forum stations in Kalamazoo touching Adult Contemporary with their current ownership. They are on cruise control until Bob Brink decides to sell the stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic