Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Dykstra, GM of WCUZ, Obituary

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
bosco

Ron Dykstra, GM of WCUZ, Obituary

Post by bosco » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Reese K Rickards

Re: Ron Dykstra, GM of WCUZ, Obituary

Post by Reese K Rickards » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:36 pm

Sailor, rest your oar. We have the watch...

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:18 pm

I am sorry to hear of the passing of my friend Ron Dykstra. Ron was both a mentor and sometimes tormentor during the early part of my radio career.
In the fall of 1971 I was the 19 year old Assistant Program Director/Music Director at WZZM-FM 95.7 Grand Rapids. Our General Manager Russ Ochsankehl resigned and the then 29 year old Ron Dykstra was assigned to take his place, moving over from the Sales Department at WZZM-TV. Ron had never really been involved in radio, so the learning curve was steep but he was able to make the transition. I worked with Ron from 1971-74 when he decided the station needed a change in direction and let me go. I wasn't really happy about that decision, but in retrospect it was the best thing Ron ever did for me. It sent me into another direction in the communications field and I continue to benefit from that change to this day.
After Ron left WZZM in 1977 he became the General Manager of WCUZ which at that time was only an AM operation on 1230, but the only country station in the market. They added 101.3 WCUZ-FM to the mixture in 1980 and the rest is history. WCUZ during Ron's tenure was one of the leading stations in the market in the 1980's and early 90's. Quite often they were the number one station in the market. Ron left WCUZ in the late 90's and got out of radio. As I reflect back on my time at WZZM with Ron there are many great memories, and I would not be the broadcaster/communications person I am today without the contributions of Ron Dykstra. May you R.I.P. my friend

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:23 pm

One addition to Original's post. Ron, while running CUZ hired many and taught many more how to behave like a professional in an industry which doesn't exactly breed the type. While times change, throughout his time and beyond, the Grand Rapids market was a better place to be. I never worked with Ron and only knew him casually, but like ZZM, I feel his influence to this day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic