Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:24 am

Two things, the gun laws on the books are not properly enforced so what makes anyone think new ones would be.
Prior to the murderer arriving at King Soopers, which gun laws were not properly enforced in this instance?

Those on the U.S. Terrorist Watch List can purchase guns. The gun lobby - including the NRA - has resisted efforts to block such individuals from being able to purchase a firearm!

So, we can thank the NRA and Republicans for the fact Terrorist Watch List placement is irrelevant in terms of determining whether someone can lawfully purchase a firearm.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/why ... other-faqs
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... gun-sales/

Maybe what we need to do is ban those convicted of misdemeanors involving assault & battery from being able to purchase a firearm - especially semi-automatic firearms - for a period of time following conviction. If such individuals "stay clean" for a certain number of years, their firearm purchase rights could then be reinstated.

Maybe what we need to do do is block all individuals on the Terrorism Watch List from purchasing a firearm. (Concerns regarding accuracy of the Watch List appear legitimate; governance over the Watch List should also be improved.)

Maybe what we also need to do is ban the private sale or transfer of firearms without background checks being performed; all sales need to be through a registered dealer.

Finally, maybe what we need to do is greatly increase funding for - and expand access to - mental health services, especially for teenagers and young adults.

iwndry1015

Re: Which local radio station will have the courage to editorially defend serious gun control measures?.

Post by iwndry1015 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:54 am

Reese:

"You are the problem. Deny we have a problem..... you foolish young person." I never said we didn't have a problem. Don't put words in my mouth (or in a post).

"NO ONE needs machines designed to kill people." Literally EVERYTHING can be designed to kill people. As a matter of fact people can and are killed be by machines of every kind every damn day. A gun is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. It's the evil in the minds of who is holding the tool that makes the decisions to do so. The the vast majority of guns (even the big scary ones), has never once killed anyone, or anything. If a person has the desire to kill someone, they will do it. If you know what you're doing, you could (theoretically) kill someone with a butter knife. So, banning big scary guns (or butter knives) will do nothing but take the rights away from law abiding citizens. Since criminals and murderers don't typically follow the rules or the laws, that makes your point completely useless.

"you foolish young person" For the record, I am just a few years younger than you are.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am

There have no been 20 mass killings in the last two weeks. Four were killed in Orange, Ca, last night. a 5th woman is in critical condition. A gun was used. NOT A BUTTER KNIFE LAUNDRY AT QUARTER PAST TEN.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:34 pm

So Reece riddle me this. When a cop kills someone with a gun the cop is blamed. When a civilian kill someone the gun is blamed. The gun doesn't do anything unless it is in the hands of a bad person, so let's work on the human equation and leave the guns alone.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Sure ZZAMD. The answer is, "No cop ever hung an assault weapon out a Vegas hotel window and killed more than 40 people".

Semi automatics must be outlawed.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:27 pm

How many people were killed just in Chicago in the last two weeks?? Wonder how many of those were not with a semi-auto?

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:26 pm
Laundry at quarter past ten:

You are the problem. Deny we have a problem..... you foolish young person. The system is broken beyond repair. Time to start all over by banning semi automatic rifles, and pistols that can be converted to a rifle. NO ONE needs machines designed to kill people.

Reese, you should have gotten in to political talk... you could have been like Colmes! You seem to enjoy the discussions. I personally do not like guns either.. common ground? :). I still think the flow of information is the deadliest of weapons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic