Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WVFM got JACKED up!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
CJ

Re: WVFM got JACKED up!

Post by CJ » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:15 pm

96.5 flipped to CHR at noon today

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:15 am
On the other hand, if it offers up Mojo in the Morning from Detroit, it could succeed.
I think WSNX would agree to disagree. That station saw very little return on an imported show and just had it's worst overall book in over 20 years. They would be smart to go back to local but corporate has let that boat sail.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Is it due to Mojo? For a while, WSNX had very nice numbers with Mojo in mornings.

I think SNX sounds like a neglected station in general. Very little stationality.

I agree it would be great to see SNX go local in mornings again, but I think the main issue is the general sound of the station.

Hardcore hip hop Magic 104.9 has probably had at least a minor impact on 104.5, too.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Most radio managers are incapable of running a damn popsicle stand!

Cannot believe how horrendously piss poor 106.5's processing sounds over the air!!! Complete disgrace.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:51 am

The audio sounded MUCH better when I visited Grand Rapids last weekend.

I wonder how long it took to get that straightened out?

format this

Post by format this » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Instead, the station flipped to a quasi-simulcast of AM 590. The Tigers were red hot at the time. The whole point of the move would've been to give the Tigers a good FM signal locally, but as it turned out, the brain trust on West Main failed to perform proper due diligence on their Tigers baseball contract. So, FM 96.5 listeners were treated to the Cubs instead. A major let down, I'm sure, for folks who lived in the null of AM 590's nighttime signal.
If I may toss in my $1.02 (compulsive tip), the Cubs only aired on 96.5 when there was a conflict with both 590 and 1660, which happened at least once to my recollection, if not more. The Cubs were, unless the Tigers and Red Wings were playing at the same time, property of 1660.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

gotigers

Post by gotigers » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:55 pm

I'm generally a pop station listener in Kalamazoo (usually stick with WKFR, Star 105.7, and now 96.5). Lately, I've been tuning into the new 96.5 pretty regularly because they seem to have way fewer commercials than the other stations. After a few weeks of listening, I'm at a loss as to what format they're going for. I thought they were doing CHR, but yesterday or maybe a couple days ago, they played I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic at the Disco and I thought, wow, an odd punk throwback. I also heard DJ Sammy's cover of Heaven earlier this week. I haven't heard either of those songs on any station in a long time. Today when I first got in the car after work, they were playing Killing Me Softly by the Fugees (from 1996!). I thought I was listening to Star 105.7 until the station ID hit. At 29 years old, I've enjoyed the throwbacks to my younger years, but it's weird hearing some of these songs for the first time in YEARS! Maybe that's their schtick. We'll see how it plays out for them.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Those are not bad selections, frankly.

gotigers

Post by gotigers » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:22 pm
Those are not bad selections, frankly.
I agree. I've quite enjoyed these somewhat forgotten hits popping up on my drives. I took a look at their playlist and they seem to rotate quite a few of these throwbacks into their rotation.

CJ

Post by CJ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:54 pm

Yep, I agree. I heard Jet - Are you going to be my girl this afternoon. I like the mix, it’s refreshing. I like how they are pushing the local feel for the afternoon too. KFR is no longer local in the afternoon. I wish 96.5 would have done this 15 years ago before streaming.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:02 pm

i92.9 in Lansing had a similar Hot AC feel toward the end. However, that type of mix, filling the gap between CHR and Hot AC, was successful on WKFR for years, and if they are emphasizing localism they may just have a chance. FWIW, in addition to all the syndication it now runs, WKFR now plays the Townsquare equivalent of Premium Choice - their playlist is virtually identical to WJIM-FM's song for song. (WFMK and Cars 108 are also exactly the same musically except when running syndicated shows. I'd be willing to bet WGRD and Banana 101.5 are too.) Townsquare is becoming just as bad as iFart and Cume-U-Less at flushing localism, if not worse.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 pm

WKFR now plays the Townsquare equivalent of Premium Choice - their playlist is virtually identical to WJIM-FM's song for song.
Interesting! Is that the case in all dayparts? If so, that represents a significant shift for WKFR, as for the past several years, the station was very much in the Hot AC lane.

I see they have also changed their positioner to "The #1 Hit Music Station."

I'm surprised that WKFR is reacting this vigorously to the new 96.5. I was expecting KFR to stand pat with its music identity, especially given the existence of disenfranchised FM 106.5 listeners. WKFR's shift to full blown CHR makes the decision easier for those folks, I guess. Most who don't care for Jack FM will almost assuredly land on Star 105.7 now (a handful will probably go to WCSG or K-102.5).

I can tell you that WGRD and Banana 101.5 most definitely do not share the same playlist. The exception would be weekday evenings during Loudwire Nights.

How bizarre that Kalamazoo went from having ZERO real CHR stations to TWO (!!!) in a matter of weeks.

The last time WKFR was a pure play CHR, which didn't last long thanks to Jan Jeffries and John Dickey, the ratings were phenomenally good. As high as a 14 share in Kalamazoo County, if I remember correctly.

What had been a very boring radio market for so many years has suddenly become fairly intriguing!

Never thought I'd see the day that Kalamazoo would lack both an in-market Adult Contemporary and an in-market Hot AC.

That begs the question - should Townsquare consider flipping its K-102.5 to Mainstream AC? I'll go even one step further - should 92.5 The ZUU consider ditching its mullet rock format for Adult Contemporary?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 pm

I'll also mention that with WKFR now doing pure CHR/Pop, the new Hits 96.5 doesn't stand a chance in hell of earning decent ratings.

KFR will wipe the floor clean with them.

96.5's stationality screams "low budget."

Michigan Media

Post by Michigan Media » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Has anyone noticed that Midwest labels Hits 96.5 as a Hot AC station on their corporate website? https://mwcradio.com/station/106/.

Their website has had some issues with accuracy in the past. Back in October, the website listed WVFM as a Classic Hits station: https://web.archive.org/web/20201028144 ... tation/34/.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic