Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Reese K Rickards

Re: Another reason someone should take on B-93. No local morning show.

Post by Reese K Rickards » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:42 am

Oww Mr. Boat and Mr. knuckles. Stop being so mean.

The male dominated programs you bring up were never a concern for our morning show, Our money demo was people 25 to 54, That paid the bonus money. The only show that caused us trouble was Dave and Jeri. But we managed to hold them off, and our female numbers were so strong, it made up for the males we couldn't possibly get.

Andy and Dennis were never a problem. We beat them in our first book. The various incarnations of other country stations were never a threat either.

I've said before, I WAS well compensated. I was grateful for it too. I did buy a 44 foot motor yacht when Kim and I moved to Florida. My wife was unhappy after a year aboard and the "heads" blew up again. We sold "Knee Deep" in 12 days and paid cash for our new home ashore. I do not own a boat today.

We actually live just north of Sarasota and south of Tampa. I don't drink lite beer, but I do look forward to my social security check.

And I sign my real name and post my real photo on this site, and I ALWAYS tell the truth.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:54 am

B93 was a strong station from top to bottom, and Neal and Reese had one of the more impressive ratings runs locally. For anyone to suggest they weren't a big reason for the station's success is idiotic. Almost always a top 3 show in Adults 25-54 and total listeners 12+ for many consecutive years and quite frequently #1. Broad appeal across many demographic categories. Very strong numbers with women.

Andy & Dennis' ratings went into the crapper and Rick, Darla & Scott (later Rick, Leslie & Scott) considered the B93 morning show its primary competition for a time. WMUS - once a fairly popular station in the G.R. market - became an also-ran and was largely forgotten.

I do agree there probably weren't many listeners flipping back & forth between B93 and Stern. However, I am sure some Country music fans who were guys probably listened to Stern in the morning on occasion. Stern's primary competition was whatever morning show WGRD offered (anchored by Rick Beckett for most of the period), and later on - Bob & Tom on WBFX.

Stern's numbers weren't great his first couple years on the air locally; remember, much of KLQ's incumbent morning drive audience initially followed Rick, Darla & Scott to WGRD. However, by 1998 or 1999, his numbers became very competitive with the top local shows in Men 25-54 and Adults 18-34, at times reaching #1 in both categories until the dipshit from the east coast relegated him to AM 1340 (where he still earned good numbers). I think his movie drove interest in his show, and his E! show was also becoming increasingly available on local cable systems. His male 18-34 numbers were insanely good at KLQ, to the point where he was kicking Beckett's ass toward the end of Beckett's GRD run. First place finishes in Adults 25-54 for Stern were, of course, far less common but did happen infrequently.

In the late 90s especially, Grand Rapids morning radio was rather competitive. B93, KLQ, W-Lite, WLAV, WGRD, WSNX, WVTI (whom I almost forgot) and WOOD 1300 all offered strong personality-oriented morning shows.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 pm

You folks forgot about Ron Upshaw and Don O' Neill that took over on KLQ after Stern was moved to the AM band. Remember the guys night out remotes the two hosted at Maxum night club on Burton? I must say they where far more compelling than a remote at a local speaker store.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 am

What's to forget? I was discussing SUCCESSFUL morning shows earlier. Other than a couple abnormally good books, their ratings stunk.

option1

Post by option1 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:12 am

Morning radio and radio in general in GR in the 90’s was as competitive as any major market. Lots of quality talent and programming. If you were #1 at any point in any day-part or demo you earned it. Lots of shit talking too...hehe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic