Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local Talent Axed at ESPN 96.1

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
RandJob

Local Talent Axed at ESPN 96.1

Post by RandJob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:47 pm

As part of the iHeart cuts, the station will be entirely on the ESPN satellite feed.

If Cumulus is smart they'll move The Ticket to one of the FMs (107.3 is probably best) and go after the audience and $$$.

In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

zackeast

Re: Local Talent Axed at ESPN 96.1

Post by zackeast » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:10 pm

RandJob wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:47 pm
If Cumulus is smart they'll move The Ticket to one of the FMs (107.3 is probably best) and go after the audience and $$$.
Dan Patrick > Better than anything ESPN has on right now, with Le Batard being close second. I know that's a hot take, but I'm a poor millennial that likes memes and nonsense.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:01 pm

WBBL's ratings stunk. Why resurrect it? The national ESPN morning show often won in mornings.

The big story is the ouster of Phil Tower, which is a reprehensible decision, in my opinion.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:01 pm
WBBL's ratings stunk. Why resurrect it? The national ESPN morning show often won in mornings.
I wouldn't resurect BBL, let that brand stay dead. I would move the Ticket's programming.

They would have a 'local' morning show with Matt Shepard's show (which has occasional rotating hosts, but always talking Detroit/Michigan sports). Dan Patrick, Jim Rome, and a local afternoon show with H***. They would also have Lions Football.

Remember, Eric Zane was a terrible fit on that station.

Also, while never a great station in the glamour numbers, ESPN did very well in money demos and actually billed really well from what I've heard. There's more upside with that format than the shit show country and Top 40 products at Cumulus.

In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:42 am

WBBL's lineup is just garbage as 96.1 is now if not worse.

Maybe Iheartless could make 96.1 MAX FM again?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:59 am

Will 96.1 flip in the near future?

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:31 am

Years ago 96.1 brought Balgian back and according to people I knew who worked at the station at the time, Baligian's previous partner "never heard the train coming" when he was told management had decided to make changes to the PM drive slot and he wasn't included.

It appears Jim Costa was caught off guard as well. On a Tuesday he learns his show partner Drew McCarthy was leaving the show and by Friday he's gone.

Mike Valenti does very well in the 2-6 slot on 97.1 but given ratings of both 3-6 GR sports talk shows combined does a local sports talk show have a future in the GR market? The last man standing is on a 1000w station

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:21 pm

The thousand-watter does feed a network, with WXYT-AM its most prominent affiliate, but you are right, the future for this offering is tenuous.

Costa, at last look, still has a Facebook profile picture where he's standing in front of an ESPN 96.1 banner. Drew had announced he was done before that Tuesday, but not long before.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic