Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

3 Grand Rapids stations were dead air on Sunday afternoon

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
OneBigFan

3 Grand Rapids stations were dead air on Sunday afternoon

Post by OneBigFan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Went to the store on Sunday afternoon.

WRGD 97.9, WFGR 98.7 and WTRV 100.5 The River were all off the air between 2:30-2:45 (might be longer).

Odd that all three were off. Satellite feed issues?

originalzzmfmjock

Re: 3 Grand Rapids stations were dead air on Sunday afternoon

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:02 pm

I noticed this too around 3PM. Actually it was 5 stations and all were in the Townsquare building. The above mentioned 3 plus 95.7 WLHT and the translator for 1410 AM on 104.9. The transmitters were on the air, but there was no audio. Checked again about 3:20 and the audio was back on all 5 stations. Strangely enough, during this time AM 1410 was on the air and had audio.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 am

OneBigFan wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:36 pm
Went to the store on Sunday afternoon.

WRGD 97.9, WFGR 98.7 and WTRV 100.5 The River were all off the air between 2:30-2:45 (might be longer).

Odd that all three were off. Satellite feed issues?
Satellite Eclipse?
(When a satellite becomes aligned with the sun, natural RF noise from the sun overwhelms the return signal coming from the satellite).

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:20 am

Based on the entry pattern for this thread, I am making a mental note to log in on Christmas Day to see the final answer, for those concerned.

While we're here, is there any way to tighten up LAV's automation during "Breakfast in the Basement," Sunday mornings?

When I listened this past weekend, it was four to five seconds of dead air between songs, sweepers, whatever element was coming next. Very much enjoyed Ed Buchanan's musical choices and work, Steve Aldrich did his best to continue the theme, then heard Rob Brandt voice-tracked in on occasion but the 11/22 show was "dry," when I had it on. At one time in this time slot, 'LAV aired "The Deep End with Nick Michaels," which may still be distributed, but he passed away from a heart attack in May of '18.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:29 pm

You all know there was one part timer there when this all happened. The person could have dozed off, or who knows what. Neal used to tell a story of a part timer who went to a bar at a tiny station in downstate Illinois, while he was playing a record of a religious show. The record started to skip with the preacher saying something like " Strippers and hookers for free" over and over for 20 minutes.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

brianbcomedy

Post by brianbcomedy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Back in '76 leaving GR on a trip to Canada we listened to The Brothers Johnson's I'll Be Good To You skip for 18-20 mintes during American Top Forty.

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Reese K Rickards wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:29 pm
You all know there was one part timer there when this all happened. The person could have dozed off, or who knows what. Neal used to tell a story of a part timer who went to a bar at a tiny station in downstate Illinois, while he was playing a record of a religious show. The record started to skip with the preacher saying something like " Strippers and hookers for free" over and over for 20 minutes.
If it was TownSquare, on a Sunday afternoon, chances are good there was nobody in the building and Mike M. got called in to put the squirrel back on the wheel.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 am
OneBigFan wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:36 pm
Satellite feed issues?
Satellite Eclipse?
(When a satellite becomes aligned with the sun, natural RF noise from the sun overwhelms the return signal coming from the satellite).
Back in October, it could be possible, as solar transit issues usually occur in March and October when the sun and the satellite are in a direct path. Though that being said, I would think that stations had a contingency plan for solar outages.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:51 am

Steve L. I was under the impression you had to have at least one person on premises to monitor the transmitter{s}. Has that changed?

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:34 pm

I don't think that's the case anymore. When I was in by 8 a.m. to do a midday shift on Saturdays I was the only person in the building and probably the first since 7 or 8 the night before.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 am

Having a "body" at the studios probably gives you a speedier response for any necessary correction, but, the rules have been in place to allow empty studios and automated programming/satellite reception of content for a generation, now.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/unattended-operation

MatthewMckenzie

Post by MatthewMckenzie » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Hate to say it, but does anyone really turn to the radio anymore for any sort of public news/information or warnings? Sadly, the days of having to have a body in the building are pretty much gone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic