Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

weekend blues

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Greg Buben

weekend blues

Post by Greg Buben » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm

I host the weekend blues programming on GVSU public FM stations wgvu-fm and wgvs-fm under the name Greg
Blueben in G.R. and Muskegon for 26 years. I feel that my programming efforts are being overlooked, but I might be
wrong. Chicago and Detroit on any given weekend don't offer as much blues as we do here in west Michigan. I feel
this demonstrates diversity on local radio. If anyone cares to comment on my programming please do.
Greg Buben
a.k.a. Greg Blueben

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: weekend blues

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:01 pm

I love hearing Blues music on FM radio - at least the guitar-based version of Blues music. We used to have a great Sunday evening blues show on WCSX here in Detroit, but it fell victim to budget cuts a numbers of years back.

WGVU AM & FM both do a fine job presenting quality programming. I really wish both stations had much bigger signals! (AM 1480 does get out quite well during daylight hours.) WGVU's news department blows WOOD Radio out of the water.

Do you know yet if the addition of 95.3 in the immediate G.R. area is garnering new listenership? Just curious.

In any event, thanks for joining the Buzzboard and keep up the good work.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Both 1480 and 850 are often quite listenable in northern Michigan at night.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:31 am

I know 1480 pretty much beams nearly all of its nighttime signal NNE. Because of that, reception is spotty just four miles due west of the transmitter in Byron Twp.

AM 850 WGVS' pattern is outrageously directional. They probably could open it up signficantly to the east if they did some simple field measurements, although that might require the station to switch to different day and night patterns. I am not sure how much wiggle room the station has vis-a-vis WKNR Cleveland's protected skywave contour.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:18 pm

I love blues. But I'm not within range of any stations that offer that kind of programming.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:52 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:18 pm
I love blues. But I'm not within range of any stations that offer that kind of programming.
If only there were some sort of device that allowed people to listen to a station outside of its normal broadcast range....

format this

Post by format this » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:18 pm
If only there were some sort of device that allowed people to listen to a station outside of its normal broadcast range....
Turkeytop is old school. IIRC, he doesn’t even like smartphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 pm

MW, remember Robert Jones? Blues From the Lowlands on WDET. So many great artist I had never heard of.
That dude caused me to spend just a little too much jingle on CD's when he was on the air.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:02 pm

Wqon 100.3 fm in Grayling has "Blues is my Buisness". Hosted by Larry McCray Tuesday's at 8 pm and replay Sunday's at midnight.

Wlew 102.1 fm Bad Axe has, Blues Sunday from 8pm to 10pm. Hosted by the thumbs own Phillip Ryan.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:29 am

Last September I posted the fact that I program blues programming on WGVU-fm in Grand Rapids and WGVS-fm in
Muskegon, I got very little response while all of these boring posts about TV, far away radio markets, politics, and a bunch
of nonsense have persisted not only in the Grand Rapids/ West Michigan section but also in the Lansing/ SC Michigan,
Detroit/ SE Michigan, and Flint/ Tri Cities area. My programming offers good music and programming again that isn't
offered by stations that serve the entire Chicago and Detroit areas. I believe in creativity on the radio that is lacking
on commercial and other non commercial radio stations. I was hoping that I would get some responses from people
that recognize quality radio in Michigan. I also have some ideas if any non commercial stations with significant power
to serve their markets were to happen. If you're not within the GR or Muskegon markets perhaps you should go on line
and catch me Friday nights at 10 and Saturday nights at 9. We have two websites you can hear me on www.wgvu.org
and www,wgvunews.org. Diversity on the radio is what should be encouraged so I hope to receive some viable responses.
Greg Buben
aka Greg Blueben

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic