Acceptable registrations in the queue through November 21 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jerry Tarrants is back in West Michigan working for Townsquare, with a catch...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Jerry Tarrants is back in West Michigan working for Townsquare, with a catch...

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 pm

...he's not in GR, he's in Kalamazoo!

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1970 ... kalamazoo/

I actually wish he would come back to WGRD; their playlist sucks ass these days and the stationality has become incredibly stale. The music selections were better, and the creative was MUCH better when he programmed the station.

Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

option1

Re: Jerry Tarrants is back in West Michigan working for Townsquare, with a catch...

Post by option1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:20 pm

On a side note, K-Zoo is losing a legendary broadcasting professional in Mike McKelly. Consummate pro. Humble guy. Had the talent to work in the majors but decided his family was more important. Glad to see him go out after 30 years with some great memories of doing some great radio in a pretty decent small market.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Jerry Tarrants is back in West Michigan working for Townsquare, with a catch...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Wow - I had no idea he just retired! He has literally been there FOREVER, and I mean that in a good way. I completely agree with you; he's a highly talented broadcaster!

I wish him well in retirement.

Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Detroit to Kalamazoo...not exactly what I would call a promotion.

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 pm

at this point, who gives a shit? it's all just some list from some format lab anyway. kalamazoo sounds fine to me

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

option1

Post by option1 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:30 am

andymuskegon wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 pm
at this point, who gives a shit? it's all just some list from some format lab anyway. kalamazoo sounds fine to me
Agree 100 percent. It’s no longer about market size, its all about survival til your number is called. Fact is you’re a babysitter with zero juice working for washed up VP’s that have no creativity and expect you to follow their outdated rules and laugh at their corny jokes. The biggest requirement to landing any of these gigs is to make sure you firmly attach your lips to the bosses ass.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:48 am

WRKR - although I'm not a big fan of its playlist and weak sauced audio processing personally - is a highly regarded station with strong heritage and a West Michigan DMA weekly audience that matches or exceeds several FM stations in the Grand Rapids market. Probably 125,000 listeners 12+ and up cume the station weekly. If we were to include counties in the South Bend and Lansing DMAs that can pick up WRKR reasonably well (Cass, Jackson, Eaton, Hillsdale), perhaps another 15,000 folks can be added to the above number.

Totally agree with Andy and option1 here.

With the way consolidation has gone, and given JT's resume, it would not surprise me if he regains programming responsibilities for some of the GR stations at some point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic