Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Longtime WGHN Sales Rep Leslie Cassis Withun Passes Away

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Jesse Bruce

Longtime WGHN Sales Rep Leslie Cassis Withun Passes Away

Post by Jesse Bruce » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:24 pm

I know people often share posts about the passing of on-air talent, but I lost a dear friend on July 4th from the radio sales world. Leslie Cassis-Withun had worked sales for the WGHN Family of stations in Grand Haven since 1991. I have had the honor of working with her for 21 of those 29 years.

LESLIE CASSIS-WITHUN 1952-2020

With the heaviest of hearts, WGHN announces the passing of the “matriarch” of our little family, Leslie Cassis-Withun. The photo below is of a dozen white roses Leslie was given earlier this year in celebration of 29 years at this company. 29 years. You do not last 29 years in this business unless you have “it.” “It” is the intangible, unteachable, unlearnable thing anyone who has ever made a mark in any walk of life, must possess. The radio stations at One South Harbor, WOULD NOT BE HERE, if not for the efforts of Leslie. Anyone can talk into a microphone, but to have the ability to ingratiate oneself into the business and non-profit community, and build trust with them to invest in the power and promise of local radio, is a gift. She had the gift...better than anyone who ever graced this office. Leslie was one of Grand Haven’s greatest ambassadors. In this town’s last 30 years of business history, any organization with success in spreading the word about what makes them unique, was due to the talents of this unique lady. Those who hired Leslie in 1991 would often say, “Ten more just like her, we would be the most successful radio station in America.”

She could be funny...her laugh will echo from the front corner of the office where her cubicle sat for many years...and she really wanted it moved back there...(she would get a kick out of that line!) While she could be stubborn and challenging, it was only because she wanted things done her way...the right way. Leslie could put you at ease, be a tireless advocate and a staunch critic, all in a single conversation. As one of her favorite bands, The Eagles, once sang, she was “everything all the time.”

As the author of this reflection, let me share two things about my mentor and friend. In March of this year, as the world shut down, Leslie asked me if my daughter was on track to graduate High School. I told her yes and one week later, my daughter received her first graduation card….in March...because Leslie wanted to make sure my daughter knew she was proud of her accomplishment. Several years ago, she and I were visiting a client and “Smoke On The Water” by Deep Purple was playing on the radio. As we pulled into the parking lot, Mr. Gillan and Mr. Blackmore still had another two minutes or so to go. I was opening the car door, and Leslie grabbed my hand and said, “Let the good songs finish.” My dear, your song was more than good, it was grand...and it shall play forever in our souls.

On Leslie’s desk she always kept a picture of a young, vibrant Elizabeth Taylor. The silver-screen goddess once said, “I’m a survivor-a living example of what people can go through and survive.” Leslie, not only did you survive, you thrived...and the world is the better for it.

To Paul, RJ, Stacy, Arianna and Bonnie, always our love to you. Thank you for sharing this amazing woman with us, and the community.-Jesse

"The problem with radio is everyone wants to be Johnny Fever. Nobody wants to be Andy Travis."

tvbobn

Re: Longtime WGHN Sales Rep Leslie Cassis Withun Passes Away

Post by tvbobn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:12 am

I did not know Leslie or you, but wanted to tell you that was a wonderful story about your friend! I honestly can say that from what you said, I almost know her. I'm sorry for your loss Jesse.

RIP Leslie Cassis-Withun

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

MisterGoodrich2U

Re: Longtime WGHN Sales Rep Leslie Cassis Withun Passes Away

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Jesse,
That is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful member of our community. I didn't know Leslie well, but our paths crossed several times over the years and she was always -- and I mean always -- a friendly and warm person. A great rep for your station, to say the least.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic