Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Random observations

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Random observations

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 pm

WGVU-FM has done a nice job putting its new 95.3 MHz translator to use. RDS is functioning and the audio chain sounds surprisingly good. In the car, the station comes in well as far east as the Whitneyville Rd. overpass along I-96. Signal turns to absolute crap by the time one reaches M-50 (88.5 FM actually is easier to tune in there).

WLAV-FM I'm pleased to report has cleaned up its audio chain issues. Processing sounded good, but not great, when I listened today. Sister station 94.5 has truly great processing. LAV's signal range was also on par with my report from February, as reception to Portland was no issue. Some light patchy fuzz started creeping in right around Grand River Ave., and the fuzz started becoming bothersome a few miles across the Clinton County line.

With 102.9 WFUR-FM silent, some interesting DX catches can be heard in West Michigan. Folks along the lakeshore, especially along the Allegan, Ottawa, and Muskegon shorelines, will probably hear 102.9 the Hog from Milwaukee quite nicely this evening!! I was hearing it here & there along M-6 in Gaines Twp. earlier this evening.

The 98.9 FM translator for 1260 WPNW was coming loudly & clearly at M-6 & Kalamazoo Ave. Reception was strong enough to stop seek mode, and I heard no splashover from 98.7 WFGR. How the hell is this possible?!?! Station is supposed to be running only 210 watts from a short tower nearly 25 miles away! I cannot help but wonder if they are juicing the ERP.

Something weird is going on with 106.5 WVFM's audio / signal. Loudness is all over the map, ranging from almost normal to barely audible. Reception on the NW side of Metro Lansing also seemed weaker than usual.

WOOD-FM's signal range continues to impress me. HD was being decoded - albeit not continuously - as far east as the Kent / Ionia border, a good 45 miles from the tower site. Even Star 105.7's HD signal doesn't decode reliably at that distance from the transmitter. My guess is WOOD-FM transmits at -10dB (5,000 watts), whereas Star 105.7 probably uses 2,650 watts.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/digital-sta
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/digital ... m-stations

Finally, I'll wrap things up with 104.9 - I'm not at all a fan of the new sound of the station. Not sure how anyone who isn't high on illicit drugs can stand listening to that garbage. I wish it would've remained mostly Urban AC.

Bonus thought - WGRD's playlist is garbage. The entire station sounds stale. Different PD, same bullshit!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Realist

Re: Random observations

Post by Realist » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm

In regards to GRD’s playlist, I’m really starting to wonder if the playlist is being dictated from corporate. Too much 60’s / 70’s classic rock for an active rock station. Their sister station Banana 101.5 sounds damn near the same way...

Reese K Rickards

Re: Random observations

Post by Reese K Rickards » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 am

May I offer some random observations on MW's random observation?
I am not a big fan of translators. They tie of signals that might otherwise be an independent station.
It is a good thing WLAV has cleaned up its audio chain, but the station itself is on a long slow ride down. The format is aging and so are the listeners. in the land of 18-34 and 24-49, LAV is a fossil.
What a shame WFUR's successor will remain religious. There are already four religious signals in the market. The format is clogged.
104.9 and illicit drugs. I got a chuckle over that. I don't know a thing about that music, but their website died in February.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic