Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

September numbers are in; are WTNR's numbers truly this terrible ?!?!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

September numbers are in; are WTNR's numbers truly this terrible ?!?!

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:02 pm

HOLY. COW.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

WTNR - if Nielsen is reporting data correctly - is in a world of hurt. Last fall, the station scored a very respectable 4.1 share. Now, they're supposedly at a 1.4?!?!

Now, I *am* skeptical that data is being reported correctly. For example, AM 1340 is still listed as "WJRW" even though the call sign was changed to WBBL quite a long time ago.

Listed stations only represent ~70 percent of total market listening. All major stations with the exception of WKLQ-FM 94.5 and WJQK-FM 99.3 subscribe. My guess is unlisted stations account collectively for about 6 or 7 shares of listening. That means 22 or 23 percent of radio listening is to satellite radio, internet radio, and other content sources (not nearly as high a ratio as the Lansing market).

Pretty impressive to see Magic 104.9 lead Star 105.7 in ages 12+, even if by a nose hair.

B93, WOOD, WCSG and WSNX are certainly the top shelf stations in the market. WGRD, WLAV and WLHT represent the second tier.

Schyster

Re: September numbers are in; are WTNR"s numbers truly this terrible ?!?!

Post by Schyster » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:33 pm

1340 still has the WJRW calls - WBBL was moved over to 1490. So it is possible that 107.3's numbers are accurate.

At what point do you blow up 101.3 and try something completely different. I understand their role, but are they even taking anything away from WLAV at this point?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: September numbers are in; are WTNR's numbers truly this terrible ?!?!

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 am

You're right, Schyster.

I thought the plan was for the WBBL call sign to move back to AM 1340 and for WJRW - calls with very little brand equity - to move to the far less important AM 1490 frequency.

Cumulus was foolish in not keeping the familiar WBBL calls in Grand Rapids. Call signs still matter in non-PPM markets.

For a Country station to score a pathetic 1.4 share on a 50 kW signal when another Country station is #1 in the market is truly pathetic, if indeed the data is accurate.

If you're gonna move Country music - as Cumulus did - from 94.5 to 107.3, at least EXECUTE THE MOVE CORRECTLY!!! At no point during the simulcast period did I hear any instruction to listeners to reset their preset from 94.5 to 107.3. That point should've been hammered home relentlessly. Also, social media went dark for a ridiculous length of time. There's no excuse for that.

I'm also unsure what value was added by dumping the "Nash" name when zero improvement to programming was made. Instead, listeners got horrendously pukey voiceovers and a seemingly tighter playlist.

All that said, I cannot help but wonder how many folks are writing "WBBL" in their diaries in Grand Rapids intending to assign listening credit to 107.3 or 106.1 / 1340.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Wheres WKLQ's numbers? Maybe WTNR is actually 94.5 and Nielsen has fucked up.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 pm

48125er wrote:Wheres WKLQ's numbers? Maybe WTNR is actually 94.5 and Nielsen has fucked up.
Had you read the initial post you would see that WKLQ doesn’t subscribe to the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 am

WKLQ is owned by Cumulus. Cumulus buys the book. Their numbers should be reflected here.......unless......

They dont HAVE any numbers. Or its an error. They should be listed here.

You like corn?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic