Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I want to compliment someone who doesn't receive nearly enough kudos on here...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I want to compliment someone who doesn't receive nearly enough kudos on here...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:24 pm

...and that would none other than WOOD-TV's, Henry Erb.

He's been working at News 8 for as long as I can remember watching local news (I remember seeing him on the air 30+ years ago).

He does a PHENOMENAL job.

I greatly enjoy his no-nonsense, informative, well-researched reporting. We need many more folks on the air like him. Others should follow the example he has set.

As far I'm concerned, he's the best investigative reporter in the state of Michigan.

learn to fly

Re: I want to compliment someone who doesn't receive nearly enough kudos on here...

Post by learn to fly » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:18 am

It don't come easy.
My understanding is a few years back they tried to whack Henry. He had to fight to keep his job. In spite of being the best, that does not matter to accountants. Age discrimination was apparently discussed and he lives on. Allegedly.

Big-D

Re: I want to compliment someone who doesn't receive nearly enough kudos on here...

Post by Big-D » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 pm

I just talked to Henry at John Arguello’s funeral visitation a few weeks ago. He’s working a part time schedule at WOOD now. Henry has been at WOOD since 1970. Is there anyone else in TV as an on air news talent with similar longevity at one station?

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Erik Smith was at WXYZ for nearly 50 years. Stan Chambers was at KTLA for at least 60.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:40 am

Big-D wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 pm
Is there anyone else in TV as an on air news talent with similar longevity at one station?
Dorothy Fuldheim had a very long career as a newspaper writer before embarking on a 37 year run at WEWS Channel 5 when it signed on, ultimately retiring in her early 90s.

Dick Goddard was WJW Channel 8's chief met from 1966 until finally retiring in 2016 (preceded by a four-year stint at KYW Channel 3 in Cleveland and Philadelphia, resulting in a 55 year career overall), and got a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.

And lest we forget Dave Ward... he was a news anchor at KTRK for 50 years full-time, from 1967 to 2017. Guinness also recognized Dave for his then-still ongoing tenure.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:10 pm

KTRK is a great TV station, and Mr. Ward played a big role in making it that way.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 am

I haven’t seen Henry’s work on WOOD, and will try to seek that out.

So much local news is beyond generic that it can take some searching to find authentic, old-school-style journalists and broadcasters to watch. Dwayne X. Riley in Detroit was on Channel 4 for 35 years, and seemed more than a standard broadcaster - I also appreciated his sense of humor in his later work doing Riley’s World.

Wasn’t Lee Van Emeyde at WZZM almost 40 years? I caught some of him when they reunited the old team there in 2012 for the station’s 50th anniversary, but I hadn’t followed his career.

WDIO / Duluth anchor Dennis Anderson’s low-key style was a pleasure to watch. He worked there from 1970 to 2011, signing off his newscasts with “Good night everybody, and be kind”. He also wrote a book with that phrase as the title. I’ve found some clips of his on YouTube to watch. He’s still on public TV’s WDSE in the Twin Ports.

Dave Ward’s final sign-off as an anchor was very well done. I wish we had more of that level of broadcaster in Michigan. It seemed like it was a calling to him, and that he took that responsibility seriously.

mr v

Post by mr v » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:34 pm
Erik Smith was at WXYZ for nearly 50 years. Stan Chambers was at KTLA for at least 60.

Did Erik work behind the scenes on the technical side of things at WXYZ for a few years before becoming a reporter?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic