Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Looks like the Orbit Room is finally toast; share your memories here!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
TC Talks

Re: Looks like the Orbit Room is finally toast; share your memories here!

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm

To us recently old fucks... That's the Eastbrook Theater.

Toad the Wet Sprocket
Fog Hat
Kitchens of Distinction
and other bigger names which escape me these days.

Anyone remember the Reptile House?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Big-D

Post by Big-D » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:39 pm

I saw Jackyl there. That night, Jesse James Dupree carved the word "Orbit" into the top of a wooden stool during "The Lumberjack."

I also saw Mustard Plug open for Weird Al Yankovic there.

Prior to Orbit Room, it was Club Eastbrook. Prior to that, it was a movie theater.

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

Big-D

Post by Big-D » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:41 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm
I never went there, but I certainly do remember it. Didn't they have a water main break that flooded the place?

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

Big-D

Post by Big-D » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm

A1B1C1D1 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:20 am
Village Inn (laser disc karaoke), Mr. Fables...
The Village Inn on 44th Street is still there. Unfortunately, Mr. Fable's is long gone. I could go for a Mr. Fab and onion rings right now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:05 pm

I saw a lot of artists/bands there through the years; April Wine, Tragically Hip, Brother Cane, Megadeth, Saliva, Tesla, Dokken, Mr. Big, Jackyl, Jeff Healey band, Badfinger, Frank Marino, Jesus & Mary Chain, The Cult, White Zombie, Sass Jordan, Chevelle, to name a few.
White Zombie!!!! Another show I would've loved to have seen there!!!

yankeesprings

Post by yankeesprings » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:36 pm

Bringing this back to add another past concert that was here in 1990. Robin Trower put on a masterful concert here in 1990 on a Sunday night. Trower and his band were well rehearsed and tightly in sink with each other.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:55 am

i worked there as a bouncer and a dj over the years. i saw it all. three favorite memories. 1) I was checking id's one night and some guy was making out on jimmy p's saab parked right out front. i told jimmy, jimmy told me to tell him to get the fuck off his car. i walked out, said "jimmy said get the fuck off his car" to which our maker outer found that he was displeased with the idea and came in and asked "who's jimmy?" i said - "he's right over there". if you don't know jimmy....6'7" and well over 400 pounds. up walks the guy and says "you got a problem you fat fu...." and that's all he got out before he got hit so hard his feet literally went horizontal on him and he hit the floor. 2) i was setting up the giant klq backlit sign one afternoon. H***, cumbersome pain in the ass that tipped easily. here's my fat ass on the floor trying to get the POS together before the filter/no doubt concert and in walks gewn stefani. tiny little sports bra on and the obligatory running pants. "hi i'm gwen". and the only thing i could come up with was "i bet your not from around here". 3) ronnie james dio and the half an hour i got with him one on one upstairs. lifechanging. one bad memory. the new years eve we all got hammered and after we got the last asshole out at 4a, jimmy called a meeting and asked if we all had fun. then made us stay and clean till it was spotless for our crimes.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:43 am

Hey Andy,

When you describe "Jimmy P" I think of our friend at Southside Jimmys on Burton at Breton. Same one? I did not know he was part of the Orbit Room.
I knew Don quite well at OR, but with Light Rock, well, not so much promotion! Then worked with Jimmy at SJ almost weekly with after work parties on Wednesdays. He was a great guy. Can't imagine pissing him off though! Nice memories.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:35 pm

yes, southside was the next step for jimmy after club eastbrook
Steve Dirksen wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:43 am
Hey Andy,

When you describe "Jimmy P" I think of our friend at Southside Jimmys on Burton at Breton. Same one? I did not know he was part of the Orbit Room.
I knew Don quite well at OR, but with Light Rock, well, not so much promotion! Then worked with Jimmy at SJ almost weekly with after work parties on Wednesdays. He was a great guy. Can't imagine pissing him off though! Nice memories.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:36 pm
-Sensations Gentlemen's Club
More on the seedier side of Grand Rapids.

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... hp?t=48145

https://www.thegilmorecollection.com/nickfinks/history/

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:52 pm

There used to be a Mr. Fable's in Big Rapids. They sold out to Burger King and it was extensively remodeled in the late 1970s.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:02 am

Consistently voted #1 for smell of stale beer and urine.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:32 am

Orbit Room or Mr. Fables? ;)

Jay2ThePee

Post by Jay2ThePee » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth last night while playing at Van Andel "At least we're not stuck at the f****ing Orbit Room anymore".

:arrow: :rollin

brianbcomedy

Post by brianbcomedy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:54 pm

Big-D wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:41 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm
I saw Warren Zevon once at The Reptile House. It was such as dump when he came out he said, "I love what you've done with the place."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic