Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Doug Montgomery Canned

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
jesusjenny

Doug Montgomery Canned

Post by jesusjenny » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 am

One of the most controversial people in all of Grand Rapids/Muskegon Radio has finally gotten the corporate media axe. Doug Montgomery was let go from IHeart. Not sure how long he was there, but many that have worked and not worked for him will have plenty of stories I'm sure. Feel free to share. I'll digress for now but I could write a novel.

andymuskegon

Re: Doug Montgomery Canned

Post by andymuskegon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 pm

I could throw barbs....Doug is one of the most unhappy people I have ever come across, but I sincerely hope he takes this as a chance to change his life and find something that makes him happy again. I lost my respect for him hearing his opinion of Muskegon and the people in it. Do I want to cheer for another guy out of work, no....but what a great time for a guy to get back in touch with why he wanted to be in radio in the first place.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

HerbTarlek

Post by HerbTarlek » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Is there a chance there was anything involving harassment in this case? Whether harassment of women or general harassment of people doing their job.

Maybe that Subway he eats at will have a spot for him.

tc

Post by tc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:21 pm

HerbTarlek wrote:Is there a chance there was anything involving harassment in this case? Whether harassment of women or general harassment of people doing their job.
Um, no. Position was eliminated.

KenEvans

Post by KenEvans » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Here's my story. When I was unemployed in 2011 Doug found out and went into a department head meeting and asked why none of his PDs had called me yet, wondering why talent was being left on the shelf, and probably looking to capitalize on his competitor's mistake in letting me go. I found this out from someone else as Doug never told me nor took credit.

After getting that call I was able to work and stay sharp without moving my family across the country. Doug worked the same magic with me that he did with a lot of others in the company by finding hours for me to work in a corporate environment that can often be challenging. I was able to spend time getting up to speed in a media world after spending too long in a prior company that refused to grow and expand.

When Eric Hultgren wanted to take a chance and give me my first morning chair, Doug supported his PD in a move that a lot of other OMs wouldn't have. Yeah I was experienced and good at what I did, but would that translate to mornings? Doug seemed to know that talent and competitiveness would come through in the end and he was right.

Now Doug and I sometimes had what some would call a contentious relationship, and I won't confirm or deny whether or not one of our hallway exchanges nearly made one of the old night guy's piss their pants, but there were always things to learn when working with Doug. I'll honestly say that I learned more from him than I ever expected, and I'm sorry I never thanked him for it.

Bottom line, Doug was one of the most savvy and competitive radio guys you'll ever meet, anyone who ever had an issue with Doug usually had an issue with accountability. I'd much rather work for someone like Doug than someone who doesn't care.

CumeMyRoom

Post by CumeMyRoom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:33 pm

While he may be a tough cookie and an intense player, one should have respect for Mr. Doug Montgomery! I know I do...! He was a very good operator in a world where consolidation has eliminated most of the true radio players. He is just another example of this new IHateRadio reorganization. Most likely because he was making over $300k a year. However, they gave him a big check when he rolled too, He get's the last laugh Haters...!

nilla wafers

Post by nilla wafers » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:49 pm

Doug enjoyed making people feel worthless. He was a master of making people think he was all big and all powerful even though as an air talent he sucks. His behind the scenes antics and constant manipulation of the music industry to fuel his events were borderline criminal, and the pay off's clear channel had to make to get people to shut up about his harassment should have had him gone long ago. For my 2 cents....he's a disgusting pig and I hope all the people he took delight in firing are all enjoying a nice evening knowing Doug's chickens came home to roost today. Live by the sword....die by the sword! Good riddance!

ArrJay

Post by ArrJay » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:25 am

nilla wafers wrote:Doug enjoyed making people feel worthless. He was a master of making people think he was all big and all powerful even though as an air talent he sucks. His behind the scenes antics and constant manipulation of the music industry to fuel his events were borderline criminal, and the pay off's clear channel had to make to get people to shut up about his harassment should have had him gone long ago. For my 2 cents....he's a disgusting pig and I hope all the people he took delight in firing are all enjoying a nice evening knowing Doug's chickens came home to roost today. Live by the sword....die by the sword! Good riddance!
Sorry you're so fucking bitter...no wait, I'm not sorry at all. Since I worked for him for many years and we shared a mutual respect for each other, it seems clear to me that you just didn't do the FUCKING JOB that was required of you. That's the only time he would come down on someone. I learned a lot from him and I think he learned a bit from me as well. I certainly won't stomp on him while he's down, even though I'd bet he's a bit relieved to be out of the sinking radio cesspool. He lasted longer than just about everyone who spouts their "I'm-out-of-the-biz-cause-I-suck" shit on this message board.
Grow up! And get over it.
And if you EVER get back into the business (yeah, good luck) just do what you're getting paid for.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:11 am

With iFart (apparently) eliminating the OM position in certain markets, who picks up those duties in GR?

Thanks, corporate radio, for finally tossing Nickelback to the curb. Now can you please do the same for Shinedown? THEY SUCK!!!

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:44 am

ArrJay wrote:
nilla wafers wrote:Doug enjoyed making people feel worthless. He was a master of making people think he was all big and all powerful even though as an air talent he sucks. His behind the scenes antics and constant manipulation of the music industry to fuel his events were borderline criminal, and the pay off's clear channel had to make to get people to shut up about his harassment should have had him gone long ago. For my 2 cents....he's a disgusting pig and I hope all the people he took delight in firing are all enjoying a nice evening knowing Doug's chickens came home to roost today. Live by the sword....die by the sword! Good riddance!
Sorry you're so fucking bitter...no wait, I'm not sorry at all. Since I worked for him for many years and we shared a mutual respect for each other, it seems clear to me that you just didn't do the FUCKING JOB that was required of you. That's the only time he would come down on someone. I learned a lot from him and I think he learned a bit from me as well. I certainly won't stomp on him while he's down, even though I'd bet he's a bit relieved to be out of the sinking radio cesspool. He lasted longer than just about everyone who spouts their "I'm-out-of-the-biz-cause-I-suck" shit on this message board.
And if you EVER get back into the business (yeah, good luck) just do what you're getting paid for.

Really "ArrJay"? Are you that dense that you can not understand the emotion that people have for him? If you have worked with him as long as you said you did this should be understandable. Doug literally played with people's lively hood.... This is not something to take lightly! All the bitterness, and contempt people have for him is HIS fault. I worked for Doug for 5 years, and he jack ass to everyone equally, even people who did their jobs... Doug constantly had a complex where he wanted you to fear him... He even accused me of sharing secrets to competitors! it was crazy.

When Doug let me go, I was maybe 23 years old, I was a young doof, in all honesty if there was budget cuts I was the logical choice. I didn't have a problem with how he did it, he gave me a severance which was rare... even back then. Since then he has emailed me back and forth, and I could always count on him for a good reference. In a way ArrJay, I agree with you he wasn't that bad to me specifically, but I can definitely understand the emotion that people have with him. There are a lot of jack asses in this industry, there is one in every building... Doug just has been around the longest. I am not happy at all that he is out of work (unless he is happy!). Jerk or not, it's never a good thing to get canned.

Hombre Grande

Post by Hombre Grande » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:19 am

As a neutral party (I do not know Doug) with over 20 years in the biz, I find the two extremes amazing. I'm enjoying the back and forth greatly but some of you need a saucer of milk. I worked with one of the top morning men in the business and he used to tell me: "If you haven't pissed off at least one person every morning you are not edgy enough". His resume proves him right (trust me). My point is maybe this was Mr. Montgomery's management style. Not a good approach at all in my opinion but it IS a management style. Or maybe he is just a big jerk.

nilla wafers

Post by nilla wafers » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:21 am

Bitter? I think not. But I will say that watching his MO over the years and how he preyed on making life miserable for anyone other than his "pets" I learned a lot about how not to be. He's also had to have his ass covered by some remarkable buy out's to avoid lawsuits...he's a flawed character to the core and a very sad and lost human being. I hope that no matter where he lands he let's go of some of the narcissism and abusive things he's been known for here in Grand Rapids so long for.

Hombre Grande

Post by Hombre Grande » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:24 pm

You people need to get off the fence and start expressing yourselves. I'm sorry about thew sarcasm but I am so entertained by this. As I said I didn't know him but I know several people from my past stations to whom this would apply.

Autoblemike

Post by Autoblemike » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Hombre Grande wrote:You people need to get off the fence and start expressing yourselves. I'm sorry about thew sarcasm but I am so entertained by this. As I said I didn't know him but I know several people from my past stations to whom this would apply.

You are a complete moron with absolutely nothing to do. If you don't know him why the hell do delight in someone's misfortunes? I do not at all understand your thought process... And to be honest what you are doing is so strange I would be willing to bet you do know him and you want people to talk bad about him. Like him or not loosing a job sucks.

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 pm

:razz
Evil and self centered people are out there....in fact i think its getting a little worse because of this social media stuff...people lie and twist things for their own use. Very little reguard for others...I have seen it plenty. BUT you know what? From the ones i have known, they ALWAYS get their just reward. Might take a week,months or even a few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic