Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Zane From Free beer and hot wings is FIRED

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Zane From Free beer and hot wings is FIRED

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:18 pm

It appears this was a decision by either Townsquare corporate or the syndicator of the show. Either way, it's total chicken shit, and it sounds like Mr. Zane did not leave of his own accord.

The timing with the Deltaplex situation may be strictly coincidental. FWIW, I actually like the Deltaplex as both a concert and basketball venue, and the facility is a big improvement from the old Stadium Arena.

Thanks, corporate radio, for finally tossing Nickelback to the curb. Now can you please do the same for Shinedown? THEY SUCK!!!

learn to fly

Post by learn to fly » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:27 pm

uh, metal. the delta plex IS stadium arena. That's the problem.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks, corporate radio, for finally tossing Nickelback to the curb. Now can you please do the same for Shinedown? THEY SUCK!!!

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:34 pm

It appears this was a decision by either Townsquare corporate or the syndicator of the show.
I doubt if the syndicator, Compass Media, has any input or control of the show personnel or the content.
I'm curious as to who actually owns the show? I know FB&HW is under the control of Dainty Hunchback LLC, but am unaware of who the players in that company are. I assumed there were three partners, Gregg, Chris and Eric.
Either way, it's total chicken shit

That I think most will agree with.

Spartan Tom

Post by Spartan Tom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:41 pm

I can't imagine how this is going to stick being that they're essentially a 15 year family that has been killing the ratings in the GR area, and as mentioned, are partners of their own company.

I see two ways this plays out:

1. GRD caves and brings him back
2. This is the first of several dominos falling that will get the entire crew to CC after non-competes and contracts run out.

They're all visibly shaken - Do you think a contract extension with the rest of the guys will happen after something like this??

If Zane shows up on the BREW and some of the other stations in the building, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rest follow as soon as they can.

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:52 pm

If Zane shows up on the BREW and some of the other stations in the building, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rest follow as soon as they can.
I think FB&HW know better than to join up with CC. The first thing I thought of when I heard the news about Zane....this is the kind of shit one would expect Clear Channel to pull.

A move to WLAV or WBBL would make better sense career-wise IMO.

Spartan Tom

Post by Spartan Tom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:57 pm

I know CC has (understandably) that reputation, but I can't think of anyone major on-the-air over the last year or so other than Holmes that has been axed. Sure, several have left, but I don't know if they're that much worse than anyone else at this point in West Michigan... I'm certainly open to being corrected here.

Granted, it is the radio industry, so every place is a land mind.
Last edited by Spartan Tom on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:12 pm

A move to WLAV or WBBL would make better sense career-wise IMO.
There is no such thing as a good career move to Cumulus.

If the guys headed to iHeart and 101.3 flipped to Active Rock or even a WIOT-like format, WGRD would survive 12 months tops.

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:36 pm

If the guys headed to iHeart and 101.3 flipped to Active Rock or even a WIOT-like format, WGRD would survive 12 months tops.
If the guys headed to ANY station in GR and played out the above scenario, WGRD would be toast.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Good point.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:13 pm

uh, metal. the delta plex IS stadium arena. That's the problem.
It's not the same. The old wooden seats are gone. The non-operational clock that looked to be from the 1950's on the west wall is gone. The curved wooden roof is gone. The interior is now bright and well lit, not gloomy and dark as was the case before.

I miss the hideous cinder block exterior, the even more hideous looking gigantic shingles on the roof, and the crappy sign at the entrance to the parking lot with the peeling paint that looked like it came from a run down abandoned drive-in theater.

It's actually quite difficult to find any photos of the old Stadium Arena (especially from 1980-ish onward) online.

I remember seeing the Shrine Circus and the WWF there when I was young.

grsportsguy

Post by grsportsguy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Langlois really went cheap on the exterior though. The original design looked pretty good, then he went and built an airport hangar. I think I have photos of the Stadium Arena being torn down somewhere.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:03 am

That's true; the original design was much nicer and would've had more permanent seating, as I recall.

Biff

Post by Biff » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:33 am

The point missed here is that Joel Langlois should never have demanded an apology nor received one. This whole pussy-ass crybabies and their "I'm offended" mentality is the bane of society.

Pop Evil cannot figure out if they want to be a poor man's Nickelback, a poor man's Staind or a poor man's Godsmack.

Localnewsisdead

Post by Localnewsisdead » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57 am

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but Eric Zane has also been let go as PA for the Grand Rapids Drive.

Here is the info: http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapid ... ne_al.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic