Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Grand Rapids May Nielsen Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Greg Buben

Grand Rapids May Nielsen Ratings

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:29 am

The monthly ratings for the Grand Rapids market have come out once again and B-93 is number one once again.
B-93 had a 7.3% share while their pseudo competition "Thunder Country" or as some call it "Blunder Country" had a
1.6% share. I wonder how long Cumulus radio will continue their nonsense and insanity by leaving their 107.3 FM the same
modern major label country hits that can be heard on B-93 the worlds most powerful FM station . There are so many
formats that could be tried on the 50,000 watt 107.3 and in the past I 've suggested atleast a few. Grand Rapids hasn't
had a format change since the fall of 2020 when 101.3 FM flipped from "The Brew" to "The new Big 101.3". That's too long
without a format change and Cumulus should flip 107.3 to anything because it is the worse commercial station of any
significance in the GR market. Any format on 107.3 would do better that what they're doing now by copying B-93.
Other highlights include christian station WCSG is number 2 with a 7.1% share which is good for a non commercial
christian station. WGRD came in third with it's active rock format at a 5.8% share. Although many posts have criticized
WGRD's active rock format for having too much classic rock included, they mix in classic rock that has some significance
in 2022 and it's for sure as they say "Grand Rapids Rock Station". Both I heart stations WOOD with News/ Talk and WSNX
with Top 40 CHR had 5.8% shares too. WLAV jumped back up to a 4.2% share with it's classic rock format and that's the
only thing in Grand Rapids that Cumulus does right although they could do better and hopefully someday somebody
will offer WLAV some real competition unlike that "Fox" station offered by Clear Channel back in 2000.
These are the highlights of the May ratings in GR along with my commentary. In closing I'll repeat it's been since the
fall of 2020 since any commercial station of significance has flipped to something else and I hope to have a format
flip in Grand Rapids soon beginning with Cumulus dumping "Blunder Country". When commercial stations flip to another
format that's when commercial radio gets exciting..

Jeff Cunningham

Re: Grand Rapids May Nielsen Ratings

Post by Jeff Cunningham » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm

Correction: Commercial radio hasn’t been ‘exciting’ in 20 years.
It’s never coming back.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 pm

Jeff Cunningham wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm
Correction: Commercial radio hasn’t been ‘exciting’ in 20 years.
It’s never coming back.
I say more like 1996 when Bill Clinton signed the Telecommunications Act and consolidation of radio stations went into high gear

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:56 am

As I said in my last post Grand Rapids hasn't had a format change on any commercial radio station since the fall of
2020 when 101.3 FM went from "The Brew" to "The Big 101.3 FM". I think that is way too long without a format change and
I believe the Grand Rapids commercial radio scene has become too stale without anyone flipping to something else. I
feel that somebody ought to change formats beginning with the ultimate bottom feeder "Thunder Country" at 107.3 FM.
After that Cumulus could also flip their "Hot FM" at 105.3 FM to something else. As I said that's the only time I find the com-
mercial radio scene exciting is when a station flips from one format to another.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic