Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox 17 weather

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
uncleducky

Fox 17 weather

Post by uncleducky » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:46 pm

I notice the other day that FOX 17 weather team is also on FOX 47 in Lansing. Does any other stations do the same thing? Do they get paid more?

just curious

andymuskegon

Re: Fox 17 weather

Post by andymuskegon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm

So market consolidation begins in TV.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:07 pm

The "hub" and "spoke" method of corporate content distribution meant I had responsibilities for newscasts in Battle Creek, then several years later in Madison, Wisconsin and Minneapolis, while going about my business in GR. Look at websites for your towns of responsibility and do the best you can.

I can only say that my employment continued, because I picked up more work. Whether jocks who voice-tracked shifts got more, I thought in certain cases, they did.

Between NWS content and whatever radar resources are available, these FOX folks have much the same requirement.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 pm

Yes - other stations do indeed do the same thing. A newscast that airs on WKBD in Detroit is taped in Dallas. The NBC affiliate in Toledo gets its newscasts from a sister station in South Bend. WLAJ in Lansing years ago received its newscasts from WWMT, or at minimum, the weather from WWMT.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:57 pm

never got a penny for the years i was voice tracked on the fox.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:51 am

I suppose if there's one *good* thing about 17 and 47 sharing weather resources is that it should, theoretically, make for rather seamless severe weather coverage when there's a storm system that moves from GR market territory into Lansing market territory.

uncleducky

Post by uncleducky » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 pm

Could this be the reason for Laura V to leave? for not getting paid extra.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:47 am

uncleducky wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 pm
Could this be the reason for Laura V to leave? for not getting paid extra.
Nothing to do with it. The weather team has overlap with their Mets on each shift when the Lansing segments are taped so it's not like they're "swamped". While some call it "consolidation" which isn't wrong, Fox 47 NEVER hired Mets when their news operations started up a year ago so 17 has been doing this the whole time and the little extra work is hardly quit worthy. I just don't understand why people on here still "can't understand" why people are leaving this biz. The entire world is going through a great resignation with Covid/time away from home vs. time spent with family, so when you throw in the crummy hours of this industry, it's a no-brainer for many.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic