Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox 17 Poaches Wood TV News Director

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

Fox 17 Poaches Wood TV News Director

Post by Localnewsisdead » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Fox 17 has hired Dan Boers as their news director. He previously had been with Wood as a news director and was with the company for over 20 years. Excellent hire imo.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local- ... s-director

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Trophyhead

Re: Fox 17 Poaches Wood TV News Director

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:54 am

Brooks Blanton's LinkedIn page reads Senior Director of News and Digital Content at 17, so it appears to be like the Drifters sang, "There's room enough for two, Up On The Roof."

Sat with Dan at the hotel bar in Southfield in his early days at WOOD, prior to an AP awards banquet, a solid choice to bolster the staff where news time is tops.

Localnewsisdead

Post by Localnewsisdead » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Trophyhead wrote:Brooks Blanton's LinkedIn page reads Senior Director of News and Digital Content at 17, so it appears to be like the Drifters sang, "There's room enough for two, Up On The Roof."

Sat with Dan at the hotel bar in Southfield in his early days at WOOD, prior to an AP awards banquet, a solid choice to bolster the staff where news time is tops.
Brooks last day at Fox 17 was a couple weeks ago. He accepted a job in North Carolina.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:01 pm

Let's see if Mr. Boers winds up in Detroit at WXYZ at some point.

Big loss for WOOD-TV; their news product has been rock solid for many years. During his tenure, I've noticed more substance and less hype.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:01 pm
Let's see if Mr. Boers winds up in Detroit at WXYZ at some point.

Big loss for WOOD-TV; their news product has been rock solid for many years. During his tenure, I've noticed more substance and less hype.
XYZ just got a new ND a few months ago, plus that station is a one of Scripps' worst, not sure if you're implying he is from the east side of the state, but by all accounts, he would know better than to jump on that Titanic.

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 am

It's fine to leave for a new job. However, it seems particularly disloyal to leave a station where one has spent his entire career to go to the direct competition. Basically, he's seeking to undermine the very people who mentored him and gave him so many opportunities through the years. There must be a reason for such aggressive behavior; WOOD's management and atmosphere have always been a bit "off."

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 am

Why would it be disloyal. The corporate overlords at these media companies have no loyalty to the reporters and anchors.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Freqman

Post by Freqman » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 am

TeleCine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 am
It's fine to leave for a new job. However, it seems particularly disloyal to leave a station where one has spent his entire career to go to the direct competition.

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm

I'll explain how TV news works. If Mr. Boers is successful in his new job, which I'm sure he hopes he will be, it'll result in higher ratings at Fox 17 and lower ratings at News 8. That then will result in budget cutbacks and reductions at WOOD, his former professional home where older colleagues took him under their wing and glided him along. Again, I suggest that there must be something in the water at College Ave. that would lead to such extreme behavior.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm

TeleCine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 am
It's fine to leave for a new job. However, it seems particularly disloyal to leave a station where one has spent his entire career to go to the direct competition. Basically, he's seeking to undermine the very people who mentored him and gave him so many opportunities through the years. There must be a reason for such aggressive behavior; WOOD's management and atmosphere have always been a bit "off."
Did you feel the same way when Bill Steffen left WZZM after nearly 26 years to go to WOOD in 2001?

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:15 pm

Bill wasn't in management and didn't have access to strategic marketing research and coverage plans; he was a credentialed professional when he joined ZZM. I guess my view is old-fashioned; personal connections and loyalties matter to me more than a few extra dollars to be earned at the station across the street.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 am

TeleCine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm
I'll explain how TV news works. If Mr. Boers is successful in his new job, which I'm sure he hopes he will be, it'll result in higher ratings at Fox 17 and lower ratings at News 8. That then will result in budget cutbacks and reductions at WOOD, his former professional home where older colleagues took him under their wing and glided him along. Again, I suggest that there must be something in the water at College Ave. that would lead to such extreme behavior.
Right, because otherwise there won't be "budget cutbacks and reductions at WOOD (or any other station for that matter". Lmao. Loyalty is a two way street, and I don't care who we all have worked for, it's nice to see the workers have some power for a change. And after all, if a company values a worker that much, a company will do what it can to keep that worker. So if corporate doesn't care, why should the employee? Rumor is WZZM General Manager Gennie Mason said "Bill Steffen chose greed over loyalty" when he left 13 for 8. No, if you choose not to pay a person what their market value says they are worth, then actually YOU chose greed over loyalty.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:21 am

TeleCine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:15 pm
Bill wasn't in management and didn't have access to strategic marketing research and coverage plans; he was a credentialed professional when he joined ZZM. I guess my view is old-fashioned; personal connections and loyalties matter to me more than a few extra dollars to be earned at the station across the street.
How do you know it was for "extra dollars" at all? Maybe it was for culture? You are sending mixed messages, you "say it's disloyal to leave" and then say "there must be something really wrong over there with corporate management" so you kind of understand why he may be leaving.
And again, if a station cuts a talented worker to "save a few extra dollars", why shouldn't a worker do the same? And lastly, if the ND is privy to so much "strategic marketing and coverage plans" as you claim, why wouldn't they lock him into a contract and non-compete?

FormerNews5Dude

Post by FormerNews5Dude » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Has anyone considered that maybe he wants to be a GM, and that maybe it was made clear at WOOD that that wasn't going to happen?

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:03 pm

Yep, that's what I'm reflecting on.
It's all transactional.
Even at the senior management level.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic