Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Both Crumbly parents found guilty.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Robert Faygo

Re: Both Crumbly parents found guilty.

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:40 am
The SRO the day of the shooting reportedly went into a restroom, saw a wounded student bleeding profusely, and she did absolutely nothing because she thought "it was a drill."

THAT is why I believe criminal charges against her should be considered.
Fair enough. Did that part of the lawsuit get anywhere? I remember that those accusations were refuted by the district based on the video evidence.

What would she be criminally charged with? I don't think there is a crime that covers not saving someone's life after they'd been shot?

Wellllll... la de frickin da

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:40 am
The SRO the day of the shooting reportedly went into a restroom, saw a wounded student bleeding profusely, and she did absolutely nothing because she thought "it was a drill."

THAT is why I believe criminal charges against her should be considered.
Sounds like a civil suit and perhaps a firing. Even the failures at Uvale didn't amount to criminal charges. Schools aren't police.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:20 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:28 am
.... At the time this was all going down inside Oxford HS, foreseeing this kid doing what he did was clearly not something they saw as an imminent threat. It didn't sound like he'd had any documented previous violent outburts at school. They were properly alarmed by what they saw in that drawing -- and had begun the process of taking action by bringing his parents in and recommending he get help ...
Earlier in this thread I talked about a young man that was expelled for just saying he was going to bring a knife to school. The parents were not called in before it was decided by the district the kid is done for the year. This was family so I know that's exactly what happened.

I would like to see those who are willing to reach out to officials in your own district. Ask them if they had been Ethan's counselor, would of called the parents and said:
"Come get their kid, he's outta here. Its not up for discussion".
The Oxford School District shares fault here. You will never convince me otherwise. The superintendent is responsible for ensuring a protocol is in place for this sort of thing. And like I said, there's no doubt just about every other district already had a procedure to follow that would of prevented this. And the few that didn't kicked one out quickly.

Quite frankly if I was an attorney, I'd see what protocols Oxford enacted AFTER the shooting. And sue them for not having them in place before the shooting.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:40 pm

Round Six wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:20 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:28 am
.... At the time this was all going down inside Oxford HS, foreseeing this kid doing what he did was clearly not something they saw as an imminent threat. It didn't sound like he'd had any documented previous violent outburts at school. They were properly alarmed by what they saw in that drawing -- and had begun the process of taking action by bringing his parents in and recommending he get help ...
Earlier in this thread I talked about a young man that was expelled for just saying he was going to bring a knife to school. The parents were not called in before it was decided by the district the kid is done for the year. This was family so I know that's exactly what happened.

I would like to see those who are willing to reach out to officials in your own district. Ask them if they had been Ethan's counselor, would of called the parents and said:
"Come get their kid, he's outta here. Its not up for discussion".
The Oxford School District shares fault here. You will never convince me otherwise. The superintendent is responsible for ensuring a protocol is in place for this sort of thing. And like I said, there's no doubt just about every other district already had a procedure to follow that would of prevented this. And the few that didn't kicked one out quickly.

Quite frankly if I was an attorney, I'd see what protocols Oxford enacted AFTER the shooting. And sue them for not having them in place before the shooting.
There has to be more to the knife story than what you are revealing here. What was the kid's disciplinary record? Had he been suspended before for either being violent or threatening violence? Was the knife threat that got him booted directed specifically at another student? A teacher? An admin? If they tossed him for "just saying he was going to bring a knife to school", those parents could hire a lawyer to appeal that decision and get him reinstated in about 30 seconds. You might know the family - but do you really think they would reveal that info about their kid? At any rate, "taking a knife to school" is a specific threat to the school and easily actionable.

One of the reasons the Crumbley thing was tougher on school administrators is that his drawing didn't have any specific person or location mentioned. After the fact, it became clear.

Of course the district shares culpability. Highly unlikely though that it rises to the level of a criminal act because of all the judgement calls that are involved. Had they done nothing - ie totally ignored the teachers that expressed concern - that'd be different. They were in fact taking what most, when understanding more than just the emotions of a tragedy that could have been prevented, would consider reasonable action.

TCT has it right. I too am glad the parents were held responsible. Schools aren't the police. They aren't a solution for fixing mental health issues - or even properly identifying them.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:54 am

I'm not going to quote a bunch of stuff. Although I am interested in a response to the first question I asked in this thread.

I'd like everyone enthusiastically engaged in this conversation to reach out to your school district and ask what they would do in this hypothetical scenario:

A kid comes to school with a folding knife in his pocket or backpack. He didn't mean to. Went camping or whatever over the weekend and just forgot to take it out of the pocket. What is the written guideline that staff has been instructed to follow upon discovery?

I worded that last sentence that way because every district should have a procedure in place that every staff member knows. Before Oxford.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:54 am
I'm not going to quote a bunch of stuff. Although I am interested in a response to the first question I asked in this thread.

I'd like everyone enthusiastically engaged in this conversation to reach out to your school district and ask what they would do in this hypothetical scenario:

A kid comes to school with a folding knife in his pocket or backpack. He didn't mean to. Went camping or whatever over the weekend and just forgot to take it out of the pocket. What is the written guideline that staff has been instructed to follow upon discovery?

I worded that last sentence that way because every district should have a procedure in place that every staff member knows. Before Oxford.
Every school district would most likely respond in the same manner- directing the person asking the question to the district's Student Handbook / Code of Conduct. No school administrator with more than half a brain would directly answer a specific question like the one you pose. Instructions to staff that directly interact with students day-to-day still follow the same guidelines as before Oxford- suspected Student Code of Conduct violations are reported to administrators for investigation and, if deemed necessary, further action.

A Student Code of Conduct is most often set up to describe things that COULD happen as a result of a violation. Sometimes they DO happen - but sometimes an administrator will decline or greatly weaken punitive action depending on the student and the circumstances. Building principals / associate principals are OFTEN granted MASSIVE leeway in making a judgement call.

As far as I know, Oxford has not changed very many Student Code of Conduct documents in Michigan. In fact, the much bigger issue schools are facing is dealing with cheating via artificial intelligence and how that has been a game-changer.

Here's Rochester's, fyi: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/ ... onduct.pdf

And Troy's:
https://www.troy.k12.mi.us/students/stu ... of-conduct

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic