Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

State asks residents for help

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
zzand

State asks residents for help

Post by zzand » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:40 am

From a much longer article

Michigan is asking residents to help house migrants in their homes and help resettle them into society as the crisis at the southern border continues.

The state Department of Labor and Economic Development said volunteers who wish to participate must commit for at least 90 days as part of the refugee support program.

"Programs like the Welcome Corps advance the Office of Global Michigan’s mission to make Michigan the home for opportunity for our immigrant, refugee and ethnic communities," said Poppy Hernandez, Global Michigan Director and Michigan’s Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer. "Expanded refugee resettlement pathways empower more Michiganders to support our state’s growing refugee population and build a more welcoming and inclusive Michigan for all."

Sponsors would be expected to support newly arrived refugees by greeting them at the airport, securing and preparing initial housing, enrolling children in school and helping adults find employment. "Most importantly, if you have an extra room or suite in your home, please consider hosting a family. Housing and shelter is our most pressing need and become a sponsor family," said Lt. Governor Kim Driscoll.

Interesting idea. Thoughts?

audiophile

Re: State asks residents for help

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am

So_many_questions

Are these legal immigrants or those legitimately seeking asylum and have had their "day in court"?

Are they vetted for criminal activity?

If you to help them find work, does that mean they have Green Card, or can they only work "cash jobs"?

Does your school system have the ability and capacity to deal with the language barrier?

If someone is hurt or killed by refugee or someone otherwise takes a financial loss, who compensates the victim(s)?

Who pays for healthcare?

Are host families compensated by the state?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:37 am

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Here's Audiophile jumping in to be a devoted Christian.
audiophile wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am
So_many_questions

Are these legal immigrants or those legitimately seeking asylum and have had their "day in court"?

If you to help them find work, does that mean they have Green Card, or can they only work "cash jobs"?

Does your school system have the ability and capacity to deal with the language barrier?

If someone is hurt or killed by refugee or someone otherwise takes a financial loss, who compensates the victim(s)?

Who pays for healthcare?

Stay golden pony boy. #ProfitFaithEvanglist
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:46 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:40 am
From a much longer article
Interesting idea. Thoughts?
I have a few thoughts, immigrants have always been good for a growing healthy economy. If you look at the history of Southeast Michigan, it's all about immigrants. Including the half-hearted Christian who has posted his conservative fears above, he is probably 2nd Gen American. I'm a fifth Gen Michigander on both sides. Without Immigration, only First Nation peoples would be here.

While some parts of the state have housing surplus, others have crisis. This is due to a very low unemployment rate and lack of people to work the trades. In our area, there is plenty of investment capital, but not enough people to do the work. Tourist campgrounds are filled with contractors RVs.

I think it's a great idea, it would help reverse the population decline, create an able workforce, but housing is the challenge. A strong influx of immigrants would grow Michigan.

NYC has taken in a H*** number of immigrants but they had to convert some parks into camps. This will shake out, but the transition is not very comfortable.

I like the idea that is being proposed, it's not comfortable but think about how if could be a benefit.
Last edited by TC Talks on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am

◄ Proverbs 26:4 ►
Don’t answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:55 am

Ye of little faith wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am
Don’t answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are.
All I have done is cite the bible. Calling the scriptures foolish isn't a wise idea.
He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:54 pm

zzand wrote:
...... said Lt. Governor Kim Driscoll.
Interesting. Something change in Lansing?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:55 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:54 pm
zzand wrote:
I was wondering same thing...Somebody messed up?

Massachusetts=Michigan

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:01 pm

I just copied the article. Not responsible for reporting errors.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:03 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:55 pm
km1125 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:54 pm
zzand wrote:
I was wondering same thing...Somebody messed up?

Massachusetts=Michigan
Somebody messed up… it’s talking about Massachusetts.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:38 pm

My guess MA is doing the same thing.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:24 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am
Ruth 2:10

Then she fell on her face, bowing to the ground and said to him, “Why have I found favor in your sight that you should take notice of me, since I am a foreigner?”

Job 31:32

“The alien has not lodged outside,
For I have opened my doors to the traveler.

Matthew 25:35

For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;

Matthew 25:38

And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
Matthew 25:44

Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’

Ephesians 3:1

For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—

1 Timothy 5:10

having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints’ feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work.

3 John 1:5

Beloved, you are acting faithfully in whatever you accomplish for the brethren, and especially when they are strangers;

Deuteronomy 10:19

So show your love for the alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 19:34

The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 25:35

‘Now in case a countryman of yours becomes poor and his means with regard to you falter, then you are to sustain him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you.

Hebrews 13:4

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

Deuteronomy 14:29

The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

Deuteronomy 26:11

and you and the Levite and the alien who is among you shall rejoice in all the good which the Lord your God has given you and your household.

Leviticus 19:10

Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 23:22

‘When you reap the harvest of your land, moreover, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field nor gather the gleaning of your harvest; you are to leave them for the needy and the alien. I am the Lord your God.’”

Deuteronomy 24:19-21

“When you reap your harvest in your field and have forgotten a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat your olive tree, you shall not go over the boughs again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow. “When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not go over it again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow.

Deuteronomy 26:12-13

“When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. You shall say before the Lord your God, ‘I have removed the sacred portion from my house, and also have given it to the Levite and the alien, the orphan and the widow, according to all Your commandments which You have commanded me; I have not transgressed or forgotten any of Your commandments.

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/ ... Foreigners
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:32 am

Nicely done. The hypocrite probably won't respond. Jesus keeps sending messages of love and he keeps ignoring them.
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 am

Asking legitimate questions on state run "volunteer" program is now somehow unscriptural?

Furthermore, you were yelling separation of church and state on a daily basis, and now the state must follow Leviticus?

I work with well over a dozen underprivileged on an almost daily basis and encourage others to do the same in some way, somehow. You have no idea what I do, and I'm just going to leave it at that.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:22 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:37 am
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Here's Audiophile jumping in to be a devoted Christian.
audiophile wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 am
So_many_questions

Who pays for healthcare?

Stay golden pony boy. #ProfitFaithEvanglist
Do you honestly think it's prudent to welcome someone into your home for an extended amount of time without vetting them at all?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic